1/4 MILE DRAG STRIP

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by PlumTexasCrazy, Feb 28, 2016.

1. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Any tips for a first timer on the 1/4 drag strip?? There are a couple options around my area!! Want to have fun but not wanting to hurt others or myself!!

Tips Wanted!!

Launching

Safety

Etiquette for track and racing

2. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Racing Gear
    - you'll need a helmet (preferable to get a SA 2010 or 2015 helmet) due to the 1/4mi times you'll be running
    - painters tape or splash guards on the rear quarters will save you hours of cleanup after racing
    - tire pressure gauge
    - tire pump (use the one from the trunk) to air up your tires after racing
    - rags/wipe downs
    - usually, wait until the next day to clean off track goup etc; washing off the wheel wells is easier when things aren't goupy.

Watch/Setup
    - go to a test n tune night to get some practice in and go with other people
    - watch a few races before racing
    - watch the tree light and how they progress from yellow to green (go on the last yellow)
    - avoid water box with stock tires
    - recommended rear tire PSI is between 24-32 psi (you'll need to test for best PSI vs traction). A good start is 28 PSI.
    - launching the hellcat takes some finesse; leave traction control on for starters
    - avoid using launch control (not much time to get this prepped correctly and staged in the lanes)
    - for autos; don't mess with track transmission mode and manual shift as you'll likely forget to shift with the initial adrenaline rush
    - drive mode - custom - street traction, street suspension, sport transmission (if you use track transmission, leave it in drive and not manual mode), 2nd gear start (after much practice, eventually, take traction control completely off by holding down the center console button)

Racing
    - if you do a burnout, ensure that your traction control is off (hold down center console button for 10 seconds), after you complete the burnout, put traction control back on to street mode
    - when first racing, focus on feeling out traction (don't worry about "racing" the driver next to you; focus on your launch technique)
    - autos - brake - use your left foot to hold the brake pedal and right foot for gas to pre-rev to about 1600-1800rpm, ease in the throttle on launch - go full pedal down in 3rd gear as you'll likely not have traction before then
    - have fun, be safe (the best mindset is to race against yourself/your own times and to not get caught up with what the person next to you is doing)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you start spinning and the car fish tails get out of it immediately. You can always run again. Most dragway accidents occur when people lose traction and the car wiggles and they stay in it. Also go around the water box if you can. Pay attention to the shut down area, or slow down area. Know where the finish line is so you can immediately start to slow down.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 4
  4. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm in Atlanta and we have Test 'n Tune on March 12th. But they are opening on March 11th for the first Year One Fast Friday. I might go on Friday as a spectator and try Test 'n Tune on March 12th.

Thanks for the info Ray.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat
    Record Holder
    Fastest HC Charger/Record Holder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Plum Texas Crazy, What do you already have for your car and the track. Are you the guy who is going to the track with a complete stock car?

Linda:)

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. PlumTexasCrazy

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, completely stock!! Any pointers!! I'll be experiencing the drag strip and a track very soon for the first time!!

7. PlumTexasCrazy

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rayzazoo,
    Thanks, that's what I'm looking for!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PlumTexasCrazy

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Any experience with San Antonio drag strip? I think they have test and tune on Fridays starting soon!!

9. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    PTC... All good advice given... Also make sure your windows are up, your belts are on, and your helmet is strapped. Also, one thing I would add since you haven't done it before. The first yellow bulb on the tree is "Pre Stage" and it doesn't mean a thing only that you are close to being "Staged". The second yellow is the stage light and is the bulb you must light and can't break before it goes green. Go slow once you light the first bulb inch forward to light the second... try to stage first to get focused as once the guy in the adjacent lane stages... the lights will come down quickly... You can leave on the third bulb as it takes time for you and the car to react... especially with street tires. Walk it out of the lights... if you just mat it your going to smoke the tires.Good Luck!;)

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do you guys floor it before the green light?

11. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No... With street tires if you mat it you're going to blow the tires off it. Foot brake it and roll into the throttle...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got Nitto 555R and Tazer is on the way for linelock/ burnout

13. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    1st time down the track dont do anything...just leave the car in street mode and do a run....i got 11.8 my first try

then work your way down from their...my 1st time at the track i got worse times the more i played around...if you have Nitto's or DR's you need to get the proper burnout....i finally learned to count to 5 slowly while quickly flooring it to around 60mph (keep speed constant after you get to 3rd gear and get there fast)...let off the brake coming out of the water box and you will feel your car chirp/grab...then you know you did it right...with nitto's ive found that doing run after run seems to get you worse times...ive been told nitto's can gel from over heating.....i have found this to be true......after the burnout get lined up and ready to go quickly while the tires are still hot!!!!!....get their quick, while going slow as not to go past the lights...

ive put my tire pressure down to 18lbs, but been told nitto's need 24+ (this is the plan for the spring)

try the water box on your 2nd run....come out slowly and ease into the lights...if you come out fast you pass the lights...(i do this about 1/2 the time still)

ive gone to the track 3x's now....each time 6-8 runs...

on my last time i decided to take TC off completely and improved my times by 4th's....if your going to do this remember ANY spinning, give up.....dont try to fix it....on my last run i got squirrely at around 60mph...so i gave up and glided down the track at 60mph......if your spinning your not going to get a good time anyways, so why bother......

with my nitto's i always had to ease into the throttle off the line...those with MT's seem to be able to just floor it off the line....each track is supposed to be different and each night its prep'd different....plus maybe i need more air in my tires

last time i went they had an engine blow all over the track in my lane...they shut down the track and cleaned it....i decided to turn around in line and wait for others to make a run in that lane....your trusting some young guys are doing their job correctly with your life and your $65k car......id prefer someone else take that risk and i went to the back of the line

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  14. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Question.... Why even use the water box? We can easily smoke the tires without the use of water so why use it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    IMO, I would not run the car stock at the strip, just too dangerous. Even with traction control on, get some Drag radials and a shaft then have some fun. The stock tires just suck, way too much power for the skinny tires. Just watch some videos of hellcats running street tires at the track, I have been at the track with a B5 hellcat with street tires, just plain scary, he went home early because he had some common sense. Again, just my opinion, ;);););)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1