100 octane

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by DNTBTHR, Jun 20, 2016.

1. DNTBTHR

DNTBTHR Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I live in Michigan with 93 octane but would like to add some race gas I have 100 octane available how much can I add to the tank I'm completely stock

2. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    as much as you want..
    a full tank if you want--the question is do you go slower or faster..
    I would say slower without a proper tune..

sure smells good though!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. sledguy

sledguy SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is a lot of confusion as to what octane numbers represent ~ in part it is the
    measure of the ignition quality of gas. Higher this number, the less susceptible is the gas to 'knocking' (explosion caused by its premature burning in the combustion chamber) when burnt in a standard (spark-ignition internal combustion) engine.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  4. DNTBTHR

DNTBTHR Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks

5. hellcat buyer

hellcat buyer Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not sure a full retune is needed. If you filled up with race gas the knock sensors would slowly "learn" that more timing & boost, or at least less retard, is available. The process we used with Turbo Buicks to speed up the process was to disconnect the computer power lead and/or fuse so the memory of the 93 octane settings is erased; It will quickly learn 100 is available and adjust boost & timing accordingly. I have no technical expertise with the Hellcat yet but I think it will work. Same process discussed heavily on Camaro5 when Zl1s were treated to a full tank of 87 octane regular by incompetent dealer employees upon delivery. Seemed to happen quite often. This whole discussion is predicated on 100 octane UNLEADED being the gas you are contemplating. Leaded will immediately destroy cats, O2 sensors, and more. VP Unleaded 101 is pretty common around here for about $8.50/ gallon. In the Buick I'll get two years out of a tank. I don't think the Hellcat will be that kind pumping a gallon a minute a WOT. Bring a big credit card. Last fill up was $134.00. Norcalkat is right; it has a very sweet smell.

6. clickr

clickr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Here in NC there is a station that sells NON-Ethanol or pure gas 93 octane, I can tell a difference in my k1600 BMW motorcycle. Maybe try a tank of this stuff if you can find it.

7. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  8. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you have over 500 miles on, and you are into some track stuff go ahead and try it. We are going to assume without a tune that your car will be slightly slower because the higher octane will be colder burning in the car (for lack of a better expression ). Not much. But some. Like maybe a half car length in the quarter? Not enough to feel, but noticeable in a side by side race.

Maybe spend the extra cash elsewhere. $2.80 GAL for 93 vs $8.00 plus for 100?

Gpod luck and drive safe.