11 cars over 11 years, my Xpel and 3M experience

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by Hayabusa, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've been a lurker on this forum for many months. I've learned a lot and would like to share some knowledge. As my ride was delivered to the dealership yesterday but isn't prepped yet I can't offer insights from ownership. I can share my experience with Xpel and 3M PPC's.

I've had 11 cars done over 11 years by 3 different installers. Here are my learnings and practices. This is just what I do, I am not an expert or trained installer.

I use Plexus (spray can, originally purchased to clean my motorcycle helmet and visor) and a microfiber cloth to clean bug splatter, bird poo, etc

I use LP Aero Plastics Inc Acrylic Polish and Sealant at the beginning and end of driving season for my "cool cars" and 4 times a year for my daily drivers. It is made for aircraft windshields and is a non-yellowing polish, cleaner, and sealer.

The wrap needs time and warmth to cure correctly. Low humidity is a blessing also. One installer gave me a syringe (he had a bunch of them for PPC installs but it creeps me out none the less) to suck the air out of any bubbles that show up. Go in at an angle and suck the air out then use the plastic smoother thingy to smooth it out. Only had to use it on a Viper with stripes where the stripes were laid over the clear (yep, it was factory stripe option. The Gen V's are finally under the clearcoat).

Both Xpel and 3M products worked well. Had to replace rocker sections of both brands on light colored Vipers because exhaust heat caused very slight yellowing over time. No other vehicle had issues with either brand although I've used Xpel on my last 5 rides.

When washing, go in a direction from wrap to paint, not from painted surface to the wrap. Use a Q-tip with a little rubbing alcohol on it to clean any dirt or wax that accumulates along edges. On light colored cars some dirt/pollen/belly button lint can show a bit over time. Wash in the right direction and use the Q-tip trick.

Hope this helps those who are new to PPC wraps. A great installer is the most important factor!

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the tips. Can someone recommend a 'good' PPC installer in the Charlotte, NC area??

3. Michael Jutovsky

Michael Jutovsky The Mean Green Raccoon Eating Machine Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great info Hayabusa!
    Thanks.

4. C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Take a look at the CQuartz Finest installer map at the following link; there is an installer in the greater Charlotte area who should be able to assist you with finding a quality PPF dealer:

Where to Find CQuartz Nanotech Ceramic Automotive Paint Coating

5. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Long week at work. Pick up my car tomorrow. Have to use the CQuartz link to find someone before I drive it anywhere but home for the CQ and Xpel.

Thanks, C. Charles Hahn!

Forgot to mention...if you use the Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol to clean the edges of your wrap don't forget to rinse off the alcohol and use your thumb to press the edges down.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No alcohol on cqf cars (you shouldn't need it.) And use a pro detailing swab like the ones car pro sells no lint.

And if you wrap, make sure paints corrected by a pro first. You should be able to see 0 swirl under a loop.

And never let them use emulsion modifiers for "better" adhesion. I just witnessed a wrap removed on a new Audi A5, you could see the damage to the paint and clear it was on less than 12 months.

And yes, contrary to mass belief, Xpel holds on top of cqf. If (big if) done right. My cat had 2 coats down before Xpel, it has 2 coats over top (2nd done tonight, also must be done right or you'll see problems big time.) (With 0 emulsion solutions or alcohol or anything of sort.) (And dam glad too it made the horrible rear end wrap I had come off with miniscule amounts of leftover residue, only bau iron x then mild foam bath took that right off.)

People are blown away by my car's finish and shine.

Oh and PERL on tires works wonders, in addition to plastics under hood.

I

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks TallCool1. Came on here to offer some 411 but ended up learning something new from you. Have never had a car CQuartzed so the alcohol was okay. Glad you chimed in!!!

Smiled big when I saw your comment about a loop. I have a loop with an led, one without an led, and a jewelers visor that was a gag gift from a friend who knows how I am with my car. Turns out it isn't a gag...I use it all of the time.

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  8. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Appreciate you too you'll love your Hellcat.

Yup loop and light true test to obtain a mirror finish.

You'll find converting to CarPro products will keep cqf best, your car will love you back.

20150620093748.jpg

9. C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are definitely mixed opinions on that subject, however in the interest of full disclosure I think it's important to note that XPEL themselves have stated they will not warranty film installed on top of a coating like CQFinest. If you do decide to have your car coated prior to film, understand that you're doing so at your own risk (however minimal that risk may be). Coating on top of the film, however, is highly encouraged.

XPEL Technologies Corp. Frequently Asked Questions

10. TallCool1

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not done right it won't work. Unless cqf gasses off completely, applied right and surface (before and after cqf) prepped to do it there would be adhesion issues.

Separately how many cars have you seen clear bras, film, wrap and like removed? Many times those jobs don't show wrong install until then, and it'd too late, and does bad damage to oe clear coat / paint. And there's very little correction will do to that minus a paint job.