2 or 4 post lift...?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by iya0yas, Dec 22, 2015.

1. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ...looking for advice on the subject topic. This is for my home garage to perform general svc. on my Challenger HC & Durango R/T. I'm familiar with the design and space claim for both lift types and for this reason am leaning more toward the 2-post. I also like the idea of longer term storage that is probably better suited for the 4 post but rotating wheels requires a bridge lift.

I have a high lift garage door with 12' clearance to the ceiling, 11' to the bottom of a lateral support beam - the next lowest point then about 10' to the door opener drive unit. I think the drive unit can be repositioned in front of the support beam so that it's flush thus giving me 11'.

I suppose there's a compromise with both lift types so would like to hear opinions from the forum.

Thanks...!

2. Mopar Magic

Mopar Magic Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You try researching this (I did) and you run the gambit on opinions.
    I came away with one thing clear. Two post for working on them and four post for storage.
    Yes 4 post can be used for working on them but not nearly as convenient at least for some types of jobs and two posts can be used for storage but that is mostly a waste and a little higher risk.

I went with a Greg Smith 2 post Atlas.
    I like it and and it is the best bang for the buck IMO.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 81cj8

81cj8 Worth the wait!

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Long term storage, you have to go w 4 post lift. I have two post, but do not use it for storage

4. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Thanks...Did you go with the overhead or baseplate config.?

5. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good point...thx.!

6. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can't say this first hand, but my guess is that a lot of garage floors are only marginal at best for a Two-post design. How confident are you with the strength, quality and thickness of your floor.

This is where I'm at, I am also looking for a lift and have convinced myself that I'm relegated to a Four-post design. While not ideal, you can upgrade the Four-post designs with center lift sections that allow for wheel service, just make sure you get one that is long enough.

I'm considering the Bendpac HD-7P... ...maybe...

• Like Like x 1
  7. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Another good point. I'll assume I have 3" thk. floors so will need to confirm the lift/floor interface requirements.

8. BULL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

3" is probably good enough for the point-pressure/weight but in my humble opinion is inadequate for anchoring a 2-post lift that would potentially have a large cantilevered loading on it....

(imagine your car 6ft up in the air, rocking around on the lift because you imparted a force with a tq wrench or something like that...)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BULL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    (The difference between commercial garage flooring and residential flooring is significant)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. redhemi

redhemi Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The 4 post doesn't need to bolted down plus with the wheel kit can be moved;)

Greg Smith site has install specs per model 3'' for a twin post i wouldn't:eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gr8srt

gr8srt Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a Bendpak HD9 - 4 post with 2 RJ 45 bridge jacks, I could not be happier, good for storage, easy to lift to pull wheels, and really easy to rack car by myself. As said before it depends on what you plan to do.

• Like Like x 2
  12. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have the EXACT SAME lift and the EXACT SAME two bridge jacks as gr8srt. I'm very happy with it. That said, IF you are using the lift for oil changes, brake jobs and general service work
    you would likely be very happy with it. Plus, if you are like me and work on things alone with no help if you get in a jam (like the car falls on you) or if you will be tugging and pulling hard on things and could pull the car off on yourself, I'd suggest staying with the four post lift. If you are
    doing suspension work and need to be able to "load" the suspension and work on it like adjusting
    a pan hard bar or working with leveling suspension components the four lift is great. If you are
    going to remove a motor through the top great. If you are dropping the motor through the bottom
    of the car (with the rack) or dropping the rear end a two post is super handy.

I hope this helps. Ideally, have one of each if you have the room. They are much cheaper now
    than they were 15 or so years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  13. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lot's of great info. to consider...thanks to everyone for taking time to share your thoughts...!

Given my application needs, the unknowns i.e., floor thickness & quality, space constraints, etc., I'll specify a 4-post system w/ bridge jacks. I like the idea of a system w/wheels to move around as needed albeit probably something I won't do very often but nevertheless it's a nice option to have.

Again, thanks everyone for your feedback,,,it's much appreciated!

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a Bendpak HDS-14 four post lift with two RJ-7 jacks in my home garage. I use it for maintenance during the driving season and winter storage.
    The only challenge I have is the RJ-7 jacks do not extend far enough to reach my Challenger Hellcat's lift points at the weld seams. I am looking into purchasing or fabricating longer extension arm tube assemblies.

If maintenance is your main goal, the two arm lifts may be more suited to your needs.

Tinkerman

15. SirRalliart

SirRalliart Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you can fit them, get them both. We did - BendPak 4 post for storage and BendPak 2 post for working on them. We couldn't be happier. Though with the 2-post, I have to put the Hellcat's front wheels on 2 x 4's to have clearance to swing the arms under, then put on the extensions.