200 mile pickup or transport

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by sparrky, Feb 12, 2016.

1. sparrky

sparrky Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Greetings all. Just want some advice/comment on this...good and bad. First, my HC PCP will be at dealer in a couple of weeks, but it will be about 200 mile drive to pickup. I have a few decisions to be made. 1) Have a auto detailer come down and prep(wash and tracWrap the car) the car for the drive up(about 400 bucks) or 2) Dealer wash, hopefully touchless and prep for the drive home or 3) No dealer wash and have dealer prep for drive home. 4)Hire auto transport service to go from dealer to home(about 340 open transport) . Yes, being anal on this somewhat. Eventually, will have the car CQuartz and XPel ( if the XPel can be done with the factory carbon stripes, concerned about air gap or seams). Advice or comments happily accepted. Thanks all.
    :D

2. Catscratch Fever

Catscratch Fever Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have dealer PDI the car, you ride with them. Transport or drive home. Don't let dealer touch outside of car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Dealer PDI...you inspect, no wash, drive it home! Arrive home and you're almost halfway thru breakin period. Schedule your local paint correction/treatment.

I did fly/buy/drive 600 miles in one day. Great trip but it was summer time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ppowell1983

ppowell1983 BANNED Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree, don't let the dealer wash it and just drive it home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is two ways to look at it. If you drive it you will know how it is handled. I would have a tough time not seeing or knowing how it is transported. Big benefit to driving is that launch control activates after 500 miles. Good luck and enjoy your car

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Link

Link Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Where are you located and where is the car being delivered?

7. rollieman

rollieman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My car came in last Saturday and they (the dealer)were kind enough to let me wash the car using their heated detailing facility (real nice) !! These cars arrive quite dirty so the very first car wash is critical IMO. After a thorough hosing I did a very careful dabbing method using dawn dish wash soap, the (one time only) dawn will cut any grease and the dabbing/blotting method prevents micro scratches. This method takes a little longer to do, but IMO well worth it. Using a new wash mitt I then did a conventional hand car wash using a quality PH balanced car wash followed by a good towel drying. Now this may seem excessive, but keep in mind these cars have been transported via rail and roadway and have assumed some very abrasive dirt which if you are not careful can cause micro scratching, so all the boys are right ----------- do not let the dealer wash the car !!! If the dealer won't let YOU wash it at their facility, then have it transported "as is" and let your detailer do a similar or another suitable gentle wash. I personally would not have your detailer do his work at dealer, I would have it transported to his facility so he take his time an do a good job.

Here's a picture of the car that I just washed and getting ready to go on the flat bed to go to my detailer for CQuarts Finest and Expel.
    DSC02388.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    200 miles? I would drive that. Hell, that is a 3 day commute to work and back for me. Go for it, you have the added benefit of completing some of the break in (if you believe in that) Save the 340 for your Xpel treatment.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thedynoguy

thedynoguy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I drove mine home, about 725 miles +/-. Best 725 mile drive of my life...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My first drive was 354 miles...friggin' awesome...drive it...you'll be glad you did. Find a good factory dealer ahead of time and let them know they'll be handling your beast for warranty work...then there's no surprises IMO

11. cat8you

cat8you Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Its a car,get in push start button drive home.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Rham

Rham Senior Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Option 3. 200 miles is roughly 3 hrs so I would just drive it home. I picked mine up and drove 1200 miles home with the same thoughts of wrapping the front end but it was raining so that didn't happen. Just avoid rush hour and give others plenty of distance in front of you and you should be fine. Also, your Detailer will end up paint correcting some areas anyways so the wash or no wash isn't a big deal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. sparrky

sparrky Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Car is in transit to Dodge dealer in Central valley of Calif...near Fresno. Driving down from Bay Area to go pick it up.

14. rollieman

rollieman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wasn't aware you were from CA., so I agree driving your new cat to the dealer should not be a problem as long as you do as Rham suggested. .
    My car dealer was in NH and the roads were covered with salt due to recent snow and ice conditions which is why I suggested you have it transported, but I still recommend NOT letting the dealer wash the car per my pervious reply.

Congratulations ------------ wait to you hear this thing idle, it's UNREAL !!!

15. Sodman22

Sodman22 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Trailer queen or Hellcat?? Drive it home.........I jumped a plane in ATL....signed the paperwork in St.Louis and drove mine back.....What a ride.............Use those oil changes,they won't be free for long......