200 MPH goal in Sun Valley

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by roostinyfz, Aug 19, 2015.

1. roostinyfz

roostinyfz Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, I am thinking of doing a little "marketing" stunt at the Sun Valley Road Rally next July and want to hit 200 mph in my Hellcat challenger. I know this is open ended and is going to open a can of worms, but what would it take mechanically to give me my best chance to hit my goal?

I am not asking for help with safety equipment or rules, but maybe gearing, tires, power adders, ect. I do have a budget. My car is a manual.

The elevation is 5700 feet. Temperature in the 70's. Is this even possible? Thanks for your help and advice.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. owenspackman

owenspackman BritishCat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Considering the car is advertised to have a top speed of 199mph, you may have your work cut out!

You'll need a long road, new tires and some gas. Otherwise you'll

A. Run out of road
    B. Have bald tires.
    C. Have no gas.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Profezzor X

Profezzor X Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sun Valley California? ...There's nothing but rock quarrys and gravel pits there.

4. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Intercooler,

That event looks awesome, I may have to join you (not that you want my company). Due to elevation, I do not think the Cat is going 199 or more due to lack of boost, the car will not achieve over 11 pounds of boost at that elevation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    5700 ft and 200mph and a budget, good luck with that:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No way at 5700' plus some additional heat in the air for additional D/A.

7. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks like a fun event regardless, might have to drive down next time myself!

• Like Like x 1
  8. roostinyfz

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, Sun Valley, Idaho.

There is a slight grade, it is in our favor especially at first, but not sure about the rest of the course.
    The course is 3.2 miles long. Not sure if that is before braking zone or not. This probably is the biggest obstacle.

Buggatti Veyron did 246 mph there last year.

All doubters. I do know drag is greatly reduced at higher elevation. I'm guessing by 17% at this altitude. But power output is down maybe 11%? What is a realistic goal to shoot for?

9. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You'll need another 70 hp at least to reach 200 mph at 5,700 feet elevation.

I know the top speed of the Challenger Hellcat at sea level is 199 mph (compared to the 204 for the Charger) and this is simple and easy to see why.
    Compare our grill/headlight area to a Chargers. Ours is sunk in and therefore catches more wind in there. The Charger's headlight area is smooth and contoured for better aerodynamics. I haven't compared front lip spoilers too, but the Challengers seems a bit bigger as well, for additional downforce in the front.

You may consider seeing if you can swap out the Hellcat's front lip spoiler with the Challenger 392's or Scat Pak's. The Challenger 392's seems a bit smaller, so there would be less drag there. But you'd have less downforce in the front end, which may or may not make the front end a bit squirley at 200 mph. Chances are you'd be fine, as I'm sure they over-engineered that piece, giving the Challenger Hellcat more downforce than it really needs.
    Another option is to get a lowering kit and drop the car 1"
    That improves aerodynamics all by itself.

If it's possible to remove the side mirrors and cover the holes that would help aerodynamics as well. If you have mud flaps on your car, remove them for the run, it's just added air resistance.

But basically you'd need to add reliable 70+ hp at that elevation too. Overdrive pulley, CAI, tune and race gas.
    Tires need to be in top shape too.

Personally I wish you luck but at that elevation even with 70+ hp added and some aerodynamic tweaks there is still no guarantee that you'd reach 200 mph at that elevation.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Run it, see what you get, report back. You'll not achieve the results you would at sea level, so instead of a speed goal, make it a wot goal and just see what you get.

11. roostinyfz

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I like that idea. A WOT goal would be more appropriate. We will see what can get. I'm open to any other ideas for going faster.

12. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It will be tough, as your car isn't black.
    Moreover, I'd expect the six speed to have a reduced top end, compared to the eight speed auto, but I don't know that for a fact.
    I recommend you remove the dead squirrels from the track, before making your attempt, as I hear rolling the car at high speed really hurts resale value.

13. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    off a cliff?
    down a mountain?

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with what Driver72 has said, make it as aero as possible (watch some salt flats videos, you can do a lot with duct tape), put as tall of a set of rear tires on as possible and maybe add a 50 shot of nitrous for the tail end.

15. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

The only issue with tall rear tires is it raises your gear/axle ratio, which means it will take him longer to get up to the desired speed, if space is limited, better to get up to speed faster and add more power to the engine to reach the 200 mph speed.
    His biggest obstacle is the elevation. The question is why are they doing these event runs at 5,700 feet in elevation instead of closer to sea level?