2014 GC SRT Tire Change?

Discussion in 'Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT' started by Brian-Nicola, May 11, 2017.

1. Brian-Nicola

Brian-Nicola Senior Hellcat Member

Vancouver Island British Columbia, Canada 123wX49n
    Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Present stock tires approaching replacement time. The stock Pirelli 295/45/20 with our crappy roads you feel every little bump and channel in the road which makes it a pain. The Bridgestone Blizzaks 265/50/20 on her for the winter make the SRT much nicer/easier to drive. Have had front end alignment checked and it is dead on. It's the wife's so any suggestions as to a more "driveable" tire? Obviously she isn't tracking this SRT, so HP racing tires aren't needed.
    Thanks for any suggestions as the dealer is suggesting Michelin Premier in 265/50/20 I was thinking more Michelin Pilot Sports.

2. HCjouster

HCjouster SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    so i have had a few performance AWD suvs.... More Pictures ,including 3m carbon wrapped interior!!!

most recently a 2014 BMW x5 50i Tuned with big brake kit. kept neck and neck with x5m and crushed srts... awd like the GC

first mod i did was those michelin pilot super sports... you can not beat this tire for awd suvs.. the weight capacity is there, the performance is there, the durability and tire life all there... no questions.

3. IndyHellcat

IndyHellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

So what tire size would be acceptable for the SRT stock wheels in the MSS? Sorry I'm a newb when it comes to specs of the tires. Looks like the closest MSS is 295/40/20 but dunno if I want to sacrifice the height. Was Looking at Yokohama Spec X for replacements of the stock tire size as there aren't many options. Have not considered going with a summer tire and then switching out for winter tires.

4. HCjouster

HCjouster SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I would go with any recommended wheel width size on the Michelin website. Probably the size you listed

5. Brian-Nicola

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    We ended up with michelin premier 265's the pilots had no comparable size and loss in sidewall height wld just produce a harsher ride

6. SPARTAN_FAN

SPARTAN_FAN Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    WK2 SRT models with the Pirellis are notorious for tramlining. Negative camber + stiff run flat sidewalls + 45 series sidewall will have a tendency to pull the vehicle when driving over surfaces that are contoured vs flat. The Michelins should feel better since you have more sidewall, less tread depth, and a conventional design.
    Personally I wouldn't run that tire or that size as a dedicated 3 season tire. The load rating is nearly 200lbs less per tire and they are designed for 7.5" - 9.5" wide wheels. Speed rating falls to 149mph vs 168mph. They are the only tires I've seen that come with 8.5/32" of tread when new which is odd but they seem to wear decent. Does the tire look stretched on your wheels?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Brian-Nicola

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The rims are at the dealer today having them put on, will snap a pic for you. Only run them in summer months as November to March we run dedicated winter tires on their own black SRT clone rims, Blizzak 265/50/20.
    Its the wife's SRT, so not really worried about "speed" ratings or high speed cornering - I have my Hellcat for that. Besides, going more than 30mph over the posted speed limit will get you a $750 ticket and immediate 7 days of car jail.