2015 Challenger Hellcat, Ford Mustang GT and Camaro Z28 Comparison

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Mopar707, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Mopar707

Mopar707 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Interesting comparison. The Hellcat is no track car, but we all knew that. The Z28 is no street car, and we pretty much all knew that too. The Mustang GT does a pretty decent job on the street and track, but is a little small for my liking. Not sure I like the brown interior in the billet silver Hellcat and the front seat backs seem a little square and chunky from the camera angle. The guy driving the Hellcat sure seems like he is having the most pure fun.

Hellcat Z 28 and Mustang GT Comparison Video

2. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    to me it looks like hes bouncing around alot and focusing on staying on the track...i see struggle/bounce where you see fun

3. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No doubt the hellcat is a handful, but I was really hoping for some better track performance. I know the look he has on his face. It's saying I should be sticking this corner better. It didn't look like he had any flow but was rather fighting the car around the turns.

4. Mopar707

Mopar707 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The HP of the Hellcat does seem to make putting power to the pavement somewhat less than a smooth process. This reminds me of drag cars with big turbos that launch hard and then seem to immediately bog as traction control overrides the power to keep the car under control. Once they get momentum and can apply the power they blast through the second half of the quarter. It is hard to drive a car that wants to continually break the rear tires lose. I owned two Vipers and at 500 HP they still seemed to pretty much have enough rear tire (335's with real soft rubber) that full throttle was not a real problem even without traction control, except in first or second gear in a curve. Maybe the 485 HP in the 392 is a more practical option. I already changed my order from 6 speed to the 8 speed automatic since most reviews seem to rate the auto better on overall driveability in real traffic and faster in the quarter mile. The car will get thrown off most NHRA sanctions tracks first pass for running under 11.50 without a roll bar, is not great on a road course due to weight, so that only kind of leaves infrequent public road blasts and daily driving. I refuse to mess up this car by adding a roll bar. Most of the videos of the car are quarter mile and burnouts and burnouts are pretty stupid in my book. I am not sure the full 707 HP will ever see much real word use. Sweet bragging rights, though. I have to honestly admit that is why I have one on order.

Maybe the Hitler video was correct!

Hitler and a Hellcat yes YouTube again

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  5. nino

nino Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hate to agree.but I'm getting the impression that all that horsepower is a little much to put down on the pavement . Maybee the car has been hyped up a little too much !! Guys and gals that have their hellcats already would be the ones to ask ?

6. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This car is a street bruiser and drag strip terror....not a road-course car. But I can't help that think that with the right suspension mods, it could be a capable road-course car.

7. Dragon

Dragon Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    keep the traction control on and gently hit the gas out of the corners.....in a 6 speed DO NOT full throttle first gear and defiantly short shift it to get it to second and then plant your foot to the floor. I feel you will move around that track in second and third with an occasional forth shift. the modes on the hellcat street and track will take traction control off.....unless you want to drive sideways I say keep it on at the track for a faster lap.

8. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You steer the car with the rear wheels on exits. Keeping the traction control on will limit you. Plus they say the car has a long response time with the throttle. Allowing more leeway for the go pedal. Just my 2 cents.

9. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was thinking about this today and wondering if the black key fob might be better for road course excursions?

10. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's a good thought. I would love to see some videos of these on both the strip and road course. Plus to know what tranny they are using.

11. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I loved the video!

I'd take anyone of them and be happy to have all of them. Watching the Hellcat portion totally had me giddy... The Z28 looks like a blast, but to be honest, if you are looking for a track car.... I'd go with something more dedicated (Viper / Vette).

Videos like this make waiting for a Hellcat a little easier.

• Agree Agree x 1