2015 Challenger Hellcat vs Hay bale

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by skidmark, Oct 30, 2015.

1. skidmark

skidmark Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Here in Iowa I was sneaking in a final drive to try to hit the 500 mile mark before winter (late delivery). On a two lane blacktop tonight an on coming pickup with an unsecured load of hay bales let one loose. Direct hit just below the front bumper at highway speed. Radiator pushed into fan, belt and engine. Towed home. To be further evaluated in the morning. Sad hit to a great car.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jaque

jaque Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    dude you oK??? man thats crazy have had two similar situations this month on the road.. again hope you are ok, hopefully the guy stopped!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. skidmark

skidmark Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No physical injuries to my wife and myself. Two seconds earlier and I think it would have hit the windshield. Highway patrol behind us and stopped. Another trooper caught up the the pick up truck and he returned to the scene. Other driver wanted to apologize. Trooper told the guy to step back as I appeared very unhappy. I reassured him I would control myself. He apologized then asked if I he could look at the car. He always wanted to see a hellcat in person. Go figure. We were surprised he took full responsibility and did have insurance! I do feel this will hurt the car's value.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. jaque

jaque Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yeah oh well, at least youre ok, kitty can be fixed.. make sure you quaterback the fix and take to best shop and make them pay up to fix back to new..

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. nycAirSpeed

nycAirSpeed Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ...I feel for ya - My 'Cat just turned 500 - So glad no-one was hurt - Like jaque said, she can be restored @ the best shop & you have the whole winter - As for resale, I know you weren't saving her for the next owner - Is this an opportunity to have some custom work done? - Try to have good Karma...

6. Viper Chick

Viper Chick Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Sorry to hear! Glad the aftermath went smoothly. Post repair pics

7. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry for that stupid driver not securing his load,, good thing nobody was hurt and you didn't blow your gasket, You should post pictures..

8. HellTORREDcat

HellTORREDcat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

These cars have a intricate front end. Just make sure you choose a great shop right away and your car will be fine.

Where you at in Iowa ?

9. skidmark

skidmark Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm in Humboldt,Iowa. I'll post pics later today when the rain stops. I appreciate the replies.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So glad you & your wife were not injured. ( I don't think the other driver would have been as lucky if it had been our ride.)
    As it has been stated before find a good shop to do the work on your Hellcat be sure to tell them no after market parts on the repair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry bro Stuff happens it can and will be fixed, since the troopers were there there will be a record of the incident with the cars vin attached so it will probably show up on a car fax.

Why do you care about future value? how can one even think about selling their hellcat???

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shake&Bake

Shake&Bake Back to (1) Club?

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That sucks

13. skidmark

skidmark Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree with the above comments. My previous 2009 challenger m6 was stolen from my winter storage unit and totaled with 400 miles on the odometer. I got this hellcat as a replacement. It has been a long wait. I am starting to feel pranoid. My buddy owns a local body shop and has done great work for us in the past. My anger comes from careless people who didn't secure their load and now I'm paying the price. Sorry I'm just venting to others who would understand.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Damn, that stinks. Good news is you and your wife are okay and the Troopers were there! Also, no BS, could have been an uninsured, shirk responsibility knucklehead..."hey, it's your fault, your air intake sucked the bale right off the bed of my truck"...I guess he was cold busted.

I see hay loads, junkyard runs, Christmas trees (til the season coming up) and the highest frequency sin...giant bedding on the roof of cars secured with twine. I hang waaaaaay back or get around them if I can to minimize exposure. Add in uncovered gravel trucks and construction vehicles with crap in their tire treads and it's a jungle out there.

If I take a hit it'll be time for carbon fiber hood and other mods I'm not moving on now. If the car isn't all original anymore I'm going Fast & Furious on it (not rice or crazy paint, more like Dom's Challenger with the billboard in the later flics).

Good luck moving forward and keep us posted on your progress. It's a real heart breaker :(. Positive thoughts and wishes being sent your way!

15. skidmark

skidmark Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A big thanks for that post. I will post pics later today. Currently a Halloween family thing.

• Like Like x 1