2015 Charger SRT Dual Zone heat not working one side

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by ufoldfirst, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ufoldfirst

ufoldfirst Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Recently getting cold out, turn up the heat and does not warm up on driver's side only. Doesn't matter what vent mode, sync or not, etc. just will not put out heat on the driver's side.

Any known issues out there?

I am trying to avoid taking it in to get checked out!

2. Radride

Radride Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are your vents open?

R.K.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. ufoldfirst

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Since I can drive it without getting a ticket or an insurance adjuster, yeah.. I can probably figure the vents out.

To clarify:
    No heat from driver's side (again) no matter what mode - defrost/vent/heat
    No, I'm not a child
    YES I was a Chrysler/ASE certified technician after Desert Storm

4. Radride

Radride Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just making sure because my wife was complaining one day in my truck she was hot with the air conditioning on. She forgot that she closed all of the vents... Sometimes its easy solutions.

R.K.

5. ufoldfirst

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Understood. Makes sense, and I've had that problem too.. not the me, but the her. This time it's not the nut behind the wheel. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Well with one thing settled, sounds like a trip to the dealer is needed?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Any update on this? I'm having the same issue in my Hellcat now.

8. ufoldfirst

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I did take it to the dealer. They had to replace the driver's side blend door actuator. The repair wasn't a big deal like I thought it would be.
    Definitely worth getting done even though I don't drive it in snow/rain/bad weather/gravel/etc.!

9. MOPARBBY

MOPARBBY Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    DUAL ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL HAVE 2 ACTUATORS PER DRIVER SIDE AND PASSENGER SIDE IF YOUR EXPERIENCING A TEMP DIFFERENCE FROM ONE SIDE TO THE OTHER IT USUALLY IS BECAUSE THE HVAC DOOR LOST CALIBRATION. DUE TO BATTERY DISCONNECT, PCM OR MODULE FLASH, SIMPLE FIX, IF THATS NOT IT THEN ITS GONNA BE A BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR... EASIEST WAY TO KNOW IS PULL THE TORX SCREWS OUT OF THE ACTUATOR AND MANUALY MOVE THE DOOR IF YOU HAVE HEAT THEN YOU KNOW THE ACTUATOR IS NOT MOVING THE DOOR.....

10. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is that something I can do myself?

11. SublimeHellcat

SublimeHellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    having the same issue.

12. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's really annoying...I take the car out for the first time in 3 weeks just to get the fluids circulating...its 19 degrees of course, and my heat decides not to work on the driver's side.

13. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    UPDATE: Dealer said there was a flash for the HVAC system...had that done...still no heat on driver's side. Upon further testing, diagnosis is a bad actuator opening the flap behind the dash. It should be repaired by tomorrow. They have to remove both the dash and steering wheel. They tried to prevent the steering wheel removal, but it was not possible.

14. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    In my experience, the dealer and a shade tree mechanic didn't have a clue what the problem was in my Jeep GC that had this issue of no driver side heat in a dual zone system.

The shade tree mechanic for the mom/pop dealer that I bought the Jeep from had thought it was the actuator itself (motor/gears) that had gone bad. This was incorrect.

I took it to the dealer to have it diagnosed for free with coupon. Their "HVAC guy" pulled the panels for the passenger and driver side, and removed the passenger side actuator motor. The passenger side was not working at this point either, and the tech believed both sides were faulty, and claimed he couldn't reach the driver side actuator without tearing apart the driver side, to include the steering wheel, and maybe even the dash itself.

Haha, how wrong and ignorant this guy was, or they were trying to play me for a fool and rob me. I told them to leave the panels off and I'd diagnose and repair myself. Picked up the actuator gear which they had in stock too (there is a separate plastic gear that slides onto the actuator motor which meshes with the blend door gear to move the blend door).

As I suspected, the driver side gear was broken and just needed replaced ($3) and was accessible just from removing trim panels. I had almost zero room to work with - had to buy different screws with a Phillips head and a motorcycle 90 degree ratcheting screw driver to have any chance at putting new screws in (had 1 inch of room here). And what's worse, some idiot had tried fixing this in the past and installed a new actuator motor, but couldn't get it over the mount posts due to it not being "keyed" the same on the corner cutout/post, so they ziptied it on over the blend door gear's shaft. This just broke the gear eventually and led right back to a non-working HVAC. I just dremeled out the "key" area to fit, replaced the gear, and voila... HVAC works.

The passenger side stops working after the system has detected a fault X number of times. The system knows when it fails calibration/self test (just like our exhaust butterfly valves) which is incredible lol. You can force a recalibrating/reset by pulling the battery cord. If a fault is detected, at least on my Jeep, the blower motor would blow on/off for 30 seconds at a time... an easy alert for an ignorant person that something is wrong with the HVAC. Passenger side was responding at this point, but had stopped responding due to the fault code by the time I got it to the dealer. And I even told the dealer this prior to doing the repair myself, but they just turned their noses and assumed I couldn't possibly know more than them. Their reaction was hilarious days later when they asked if I had fixed the HVAC and said yes, explaining the cause and solution.

Point of the story is, dealer may not have a clue what they are talking about. I don't know where the driver side actuator is on these vehicles, but I highly doubt they designed it where you couldn't somewhat easily replace it because this has been a problem on vehicles for a long, long time. Hopefully the dealer doesn't damage any trim by doing the removal/reinstall... check very closely when you pick it up.

15. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I guess I was lucky then. They performed a series of tests and both actuators failed. They replaced both and I got the car back yesterday with no damage and the heat working again. They also said there was a flash for the HVAC, which they also did. I told them I would be checking every inch and they said no problem, we will take care of it like it's ours. They did the flash first as well to make sure that wasn't the issue, which it wasn't.