2016 Dumped coolant

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by DADS CAT, Dec 3, 2015.

1. DADS CAT

DADS CAT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Drove my car to work yesterday since had some coworkers come in from out of the country and they wanted to see it (first time ever as usually a weekend thing only). After some heavy traffic going out to dinner (over an hour of stop and go), it dumped the coolant as I dropped off a colleague at his hotel. Nursed it home mostly coasting it for about 20 miles. Checked it this morning - empty coolant reservoir. Has about 1800 miles on it. Wondering if they still have not fixed the 2015 clamp issues. Guess I'll be calling the dealer for a flatbed tomorrow to come get it..... Love my car, but this kinda sucks. Since I have 3 other FCA products (2014-2015 models Jeeps, Ram), I guess I shouldn't be surprised. :(

2. hellzya

hellzya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry to hear this happened to your baby please fill us in on the cause as I don't bereaved there has yet to be any reports of rad failures on the 2016s yet.
    Shame to say but looks like even before I get my cat ill be buying an aftermarket radiator for a 70k car that dodge is aware of an issue and can't seem to address.

3. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    damn that sucks, hope you at least monitored both your coolant temps when you continued driving it.. which system has a empty res.. engine or supercharger system??

4. DADS CAT

DADS CAT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, temps were running high (bumped up to 260 a couple time) but it was just the engine coolant temp. Everything else was okay and luckily it was a cool evening. Fans were working over time. The benefit of a 6 speed is coasting at freeway speeds at idle. :rolleyes: Just glad I was not out on the side of a freeway at night. So yeah, its the engine coolant.

5. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just a warning that Ive noticed. sometimes when the water drains out of the coolant passages in the block so its low enough not to be pushed through the block by the water pump, the temp sensor can get uncovered. when that happens, the temps look lower than they really are UNTIL the block heats up and then the sensor heats up. By then its super hot.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DADS CAT

DADS CAT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sure would not advocate driving a car without coolant. It was a safety call over being stranded on the side of a busy Houston freeway in the dark. I think it made it back fine without causing any harm - we'll see. Would make the same call again. That said, she'll be flat bedded to the dealer tomorrow.

7. DADS CAT

DADS CAT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Okay. Hold on to your hats for this one. Dealer tells me it was a faulty radiator cap. They are also telling the radiator cap is unique to the Hellcat and on backorder. There isn't one to be found anywhere and it might be a few weeks before they can get one. Are you kidding me? Any thoughts or leads on a replacement cap? This should be a piece of cake, right?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TinCuda

TinCuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a broken harness plug that went to my active exhaust. It showed a check engine light when I picked up the car. It was probably broken at the factory or in shipping. No matter, these things happen. The dealer was going to replace the harness but it was not available to order. The mechanic rigged the harness to not trip the check engine light and sent me home. Mine is a 2016 Hellcat. The 2015s have been out a year and the dealer was able to order the harness just last week. Might have a few parts issues for a while with this car.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If a radiator cap takes weeks, I wonder how long it's going to take to get a new motor for my car? Or whatever it is that they decide to do to fix the
    lower pulley slipping on the crank issue.

You may try a local parts store. They will likely not have one on the shelf but may be able to order one from the OEM and by pass the Mopar parts
    system.

Good luck to you sir.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Unless there's something special about the pressure rating, it looks like every other cheap, stamped metal rad cap that I've ever seen. I've since covered mine with bt caps, but I don't remember any special markings. If needed, I can pull one and check the ratings.

11. EOD HELLCAT

EOD HELLCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Im no Master Mechanic, but how could a faulty cap result in draining all the coolant? I have read on here about many other cars with faulty caps, but I am curious how that would affect all the coolant.

12. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You mentioned your car "dumped" the coolant. If your cap is faulty, I'd expect it would still build pressure and would spray the coolant out from below the cap. IOW, you'd have coolant splattered over a fairly large area. However, if your coolant reservoir had a leak, it would just dump the coolant.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. TinCuda

TinCuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    To add to this...

I would think you would need something like a blown head gasket to get enough pressure to "dump" past your radiator cap.

14. gabe

gabe Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    On my 2015 hellcat It took two weeks for a radiator clamp and a week for the radiator.

15. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I looked up the part online stevewhiteparts.com. Certainly doesn't look like it's Hellcat specific to me!

16 52028974AA RESERVOIR CAP
    5.7, 6.1, 6.2 & 6.4 LITER, 6.2 LITER

$15.10 $10.68

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1