2016 SRT ENGINE ISSUE

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by baja27, Dec 9, 2015.

1. baja27

baja27 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Everyday I start my Charger blue smoke comes out of both tail pipes. This can not be normal on a brand new car. It seems like the guides or seals are bad. Is anyone else having these issues. It is embarrassing when you start it up especially in a parking lot.

• Like Like x 1
  2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Does it do it every time you start it, some have stated that if they park on a incline it will smoke, or if it's started and shut off allot...hemi engine is known to tick and smoke,, but if it does it every single time, then you have a issue, and need to see the dealer

3. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would have the dealer check it out. It's got a warranty right?

4. baja27

baja27 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Yes, it smokes every time. Going in next week to the dealer. Wanted to see if any one else is having this issue.

5. EOD HELLCAT

EOD HELLCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Both my Cat and my new '15 SRT JGC did this. I also freaked out, before I found out it was normal in the break in period. I also had to add about two quarts of oil in total for both vehicles during the first 10k miles (combined). Keep checking your oil and fluids. Now they don't have any smoke, and they don't use a drop of oil.

Also of note, many stores don't sell the special Pennzoil 0w40 oil so get a couple quarts when you can, or you might get pissed driving around looking for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. baja27

baja27 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    EOD thanks for that great bit of information

• Like Like x 1
  7. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    no smoke on mine, but once in a while it feels like it wants to quit and staggers on startup for 1-3 seconds...then runs good....after going to the track last time it did this badly the next morning

8. raress9596

raress9596 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    The first SRT I saw at my dealer did that when I was looking at it and the salesman started it for me to listen to. I decided not to take that one and had him order me one. When I first got it it didn't smoke on start up but it started to do it after the first few hundred miles. So that's 2 that I've personally seen smoke. Mine also ticks pretty loud on start up. I'm not going to do anything till I bring it in for the first service. Then i'll mention it so it's recorded. I'd rather not have them start tearing apart the engine right now. I'll wait and see as long as I have a warranty.

9. raress9596

raress9596 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    And yes it is embarrassing! $50,000+ and it smokes.

10. junglas

junglas Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Did that ever happen to the 2015 models? I haven't seen anyone complaining of smoke in the '15 models as it seems only '16 Chargers are doing this since I googled other threads. I think you've got to file a complaint so that Dodge corrects this issue while they're still in the factory line.

11. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    raress9596...I have just found out that dealers do NOT typically do a good job of noting things during service calls. This was even mentioned to me by a dealer and by the Dodge customer rep that I'm dealing with now over my crank pulley slipping. If you take the car to them and ask them
    to look at it and make sure that they have a reason to bill Dodge for service you will likely get it noted. It's like running into a cop at a gas station
    and talking with him or her about a problem but not actually placing a complaint through the 911 or dispatch service. You've mentioned it but you
    will not likely be able to refer back to it months later if the same problem arises.

Just a thought.

12. raress9596

raress9596 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Both the one I didn't take and mine are both 2015's! I'll make sure it's written down on the work order when I bring it in to make sure it's documented

13. hasham11

hasham11 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I haven't seen any type of smoke come out of my car, done over 5000+ kilometres on it.