2016 SS Camaro 3,695 lbs

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Top Cat, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A few of these are starting to show up at tracks and with a few easy mods are running 10.00 to 9.8 wish we had that weight to work with....................
    TC

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Sash

Sash Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    o who cares that car is so small and docent look that good IMO, the challenger is way better car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "2016 Camaro SS Automatic Runs 0-60 MPH in 4.0 Seconds, Quarter-Mile in 12.3"

"Recently, one newly delivered example recorded an incredible 10.602 second quarter mile time. Admittedly, it has been modified to include a tweaked ECU, drag radials and nitrous but even without the nitrous, managed to set an eye-brow raising 11.77."

Going by the same logic, we can do "some mods" and be in the low 10's to high 9's. Still, 2 different class of car, Camaro/Mustang - more Pony, Challenger - more muscle. If/when they do a cuda, or whatever replaces the Challenger, you will see more equal comparisons between the 3, until then, it will always be 1 class against the other class

• Like Like x 1
  4. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I talk about cars it usually track talk, I could give a rats ass on daily driving them,LOL for those that go to the track there will be new players this season and they don't ask if your a pony car or muscle car,LOL
    TC

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I didn't say anything about daily driving them. Was just saying it will take more then some simple mods to get them into the 9's

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Simple mods is a relative term I guess. No doubt they knocked it out of the park with the new SS. If they could get that price closer to 30 I would be vary tempted to sell the cat and get a camaro. The new mustang and camaro are amazing at how well they perform on both road course and strip. Not too long ago you were looking at cars from Porsche and Ferrari to get these kind of numbers. And not that base model exotics either. What a wonderful world we live in. Also I am a big supporter of the new camaro. I have been mopar all my life but you have to acknowledge talent when you see it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Depends on what you consider simple.

8. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Like above, simple is a relative term. Short of a motor rebuild, i consider most things simple IMO on my own car. But what is deemed simple or not is a whole other type of discussion, and i am not starting that one haha

9. YLWJKT

YLWJKT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree, and it simply puts the spotlight on Dodge into sharper focus.
    The LX platform is getting way long in the tooth and is due for a major overhaul with some weight loss. Not just to be competitive from a power to weight aspect, but also to help meet looming CAFE standards.
    I fear the writing is on the wall for Dodge, and it doesn't look promising.
    We may well be enjoying the last hurrah by being able to own these awesome cars.
    Time will tell

• Like Like x 1
  10. YLWJKT

YLWJKT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "We" being Hellcats? Yes.
    "We" being SRT8 Challengers? No way.

It takes a pretty hefty amount of cash and mods to get a 392 Challenger into the mid 10's: forged bottom end, power adder, driveshaft, axle shafts and a lot of supporting mods like fuel system etc.
    I guarantee I've got well over the price of my Hellcat in my Wife's Yellow Jacket just to run high 10's ,and we still have some more to spend to ensure long term durability.
    By comparison to be able to take a stock engine and add some nitrous and DR's and run mid 10's is damned impressive.
    For that matter you can take a stock motor 5.0 and hang a Paxton on it and run high 10's with some DR's for under $45k including the car.
    Not going to happen with an SRT8 or Scat Pack.
    I love Dodge, hell, I own 3 of their cars and a truck, but you have to give props where they're earned and admit the disadvantages where they exist.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. ppowell1983

ppowell1983 BANNED Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I drove a 2014 Camaro RS on a 500 mile trip and at the end of it I vowed to never own a Camaro. I couldn't see out of it, the ride was punishing and the interior looked like crap. The new one is smaller and lighter, I can't imagine the visibility is any better and the ride is probably just as crappy. I don't care what's under the hood, if you need a trip to the ER after 30 minutes what's the point. I love the Challenger and the programmable suspension, it makes it a livable car.

Remember, these are just my opinions and opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and it's filled with nothing but crap...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have done that on several occasions, regarding Mopar/Chevy/Ford, i have no problem recognizing disadvantages against any of them and i have no issue with giving praise or respect against all 3 either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Camaro SS was kinda the in between car...they competed with the Challenger and the Mustang....while the Mustang was always too much smaller than the Challenger to be a direct competitor....the old SS even gave their engine 1 more HP than dodges 6.1......now i think they have moved on to be more of a direct competitor with the Mustang and left the Challenger on its own....you cant compare a 5 person 4450lb car with a 4 person 3,600lb car.....may as well compare the Challenger to a Miata

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Brian-Nicola

Brian-Nicola Hellcat Member

Vancouver Island British Columbia, Canada 123wX49n
    Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I agree, I have had a CTSv, ZL1 and Corvette. I will take my Charger Hellcat any day and twice on Sunday. My wife loves her GC SRT as well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sat in a 2016 Camaro the other day at the Chevrolet dealer.
    It is a beautiful car IMHO, the interior is smaller by a lot than the Challenger but is large enough for me to get in and out easily, not as much headroom though, helmet room for me would be an issue. it is quite the car, the stock shifter is straight away better than my M6 shifter.
    The ATS platform from GM is a brute. 700 lbs lighter is huge. just imagine racing with three extra passengers in a car. or stack 14 forty five pound weight lifting plates in a car and see if it slows you down. now plant two thirds of those plates on top of the hood. I know the challenger is a grand touring car and does lots of things well, and shouldn't be directly compared to the Camaro. But I have know doubt that the Camaro will be fast in every application by the time it gets its improved supercharged 6.2 liter, and suspension upgrades.
    I don't understand why folks get so butt hurt when the hellcat weight gets talked about or people even whisper about weight reduction. Let alone when it gets compared to other cars.
    I love my challenger and plan on keeping it at least a year. But I may jump ship to another car if it suits me. I'm open to other platforms and brands.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1