2017 Mustang GT500 setbacks because of blown motors

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ppowell1983, Dec 22, 2015.

1. ppowell1983

ppowell1983 BANNED Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    According to the following article Ford is having problems putting a supercharger on their 5.8 V8 engine and they are blowing them up. I wonder if Dodge caused them to raise the bar and this small engine can't handle the power to beat the 6.2 Hellcat engine. What is everyone's thoughts?

2017 Ford Mustang SVT GT500 Successor Spied - Motor Trend WOT

• Like Like x 1
  2. MoparProud

MoparProud Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I call BS. They've had the 5.8 supercharged for years, geez gotta be at least '10-'14 roughly as I'm pretty sure the '07-'09 Shelby was the 5.4.

And if guys can slap an overdriven pulley or complete aftermarket blower and really turn the wick up, Ford has no issue trying to increase from the old 662hp. Yes, I realize guys and aftermarket aren't an OE application.

I call BS, it's merely click bait.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MoparProud

MoparProud Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh it says it may have a flat plane crank. Meh, either way it'll get figured out, it'll have more power than the Hellcat, these are pretty much indisputable facts.

Don't think for a second they didn't blow up engines developing the Hellcat engine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ppowell1983

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am sure they did. I am not worried about running into too many Ford "hellcat killers" because ford won't make too many of them and Ford dealers will want 25 markup like they wanted for the GT500 and the KR mustangs. At least Dodge is making as many Hellcats as they can physically make and sell.

• Like Like x 1
  5. USMCVET0311

USMCVET0311 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can't tell you how I know, but that article is completely BS.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. ppowell1983

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What's crap about it? The fact that Ford could develop an engine that could be more powerful than the Hellcat?

7. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

my thought is so what?? true or not, really doesn't matter--testing limits is routine before backing off for final production--for instance the Hell Cat engine is capable of a lot more RPM and power than what we own--but in it's final production configuration, it is built for durability and warranty standards--I would be willing to bet that Dodge expired some engines during development as well. Ford will get it right regardless. The flat plane crank development is a new paradigm...

8. USMCVET0311

USMCVET0311 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The article has completely missed the mark. The engine may or may not be more powerful but there are no problems with it.

9. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ouija board? ;)
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My guess is if Ford is having problems... they will have it figure out long before the 2017 production version hits the market.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    only 13/14 had 5.8.........older models and Ford GT were 5.4

develop a new large V8 1 year before Dodge says they are getting rid of all Hemi V8's???? seems like a waste of time.....on the GT500 forums the talk is all about a twin turbo 5.0........Ford doesnt typically put hyped up GT engines in their Cobra's/GT500's (i know they did long ago, but havent for a long time)

me still thinks twin turbo v6 out of the new Ford GT

me also thinks Automatic option (Shelby already is putting automatics in their shelbys right now)

i for one will be sad to see the 5.8 return.....i prefer to have the last big Ford V8 in my stable and not share it with a 2017

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. MoparProud

MoparProud Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dodge has never said they are getting rid of all Hemi V8's...?

Thanks on the clarification on the 5.8 Huggy, couldn't remember for sure but had thought it was longer.

It does seem Ford has decided to go turbo V6, the GT is proof positive of that. It would seem odd to me for their supercar to have a turbo 6 and their Mustang have a blown V8, just seems like an odd scenario. To me at least.

I would be shocked if the next Shelby doesn't have an auto available, but what do I know?

13. GotHemi?

GotHemi? Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Total bs.

I highly doubt they come back with a 5.8. More than likely a forged 5.0. Also doubt the FPC in a blown car. Thr current 5.0 in the S550's are making 800+ at the wheels with forced induction and have already been 8's! Some thing the hellcat hasn't even accomplished yet. All with a non forged motor.

Im pretty certain the new GT500 will outperform the Hellcat in every category. Its just the way it works. You cant stay on top forever.

14. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The GT500's were, as huggytree stated 5.4 supercharged motors form 07-12. The 13/14 models
    have a 5.8 supercharged (Trinity) motor in them which were all aluminum and strengthened versions of the 5.4 motors with a slightly larger bore and some other "upgrades". I can speak
    from personal experience with my 14 Shelby and tell you that it made 746 rwhp and 748 rwtq.
    And it ran over 24,000 miles in this set up with ZERO issues whatsoever. That car has saw the
    speedometer twisted up to 180+ literally hundreds of times. NO BS, hundreds of times.

I know that with mid 700 power and torque at the tires, it made 800+ at the crank, likely mid 800
    at the crank. My car was no fluke due to the fact that there are lots of those cars with the same
    or even more aggressive set ups running hard and staying together.

I have to be very skeptical of the article myself. I'm not "hatin" on the cats, I have one and it's had
    lots of issues but I think that mine was just the "Monday morning" car and the exception not the
    rule. I also expect that the replacement Cat will be a great car.

But Ford has a great engine program. The 5.8 four valve "Trinity" motor's are tough motors.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. carnut

carnut Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a friend that works at Ford's and works with the engines and told me that they were having trouble with the engines in the new Gt 350 the flat plane crank motor are blowing up the cranks