2018 is this the last year for Hellcats & Hemi's?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by rich, Aug 19, 2015.

1. rich

rich Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just had an interesting article read in Motorauthority.com. (author Joel Feder) Rumor has it Dodge will be done with SRT's in 8 cylinders including Hemi's & Hellcats due to Gov. regulations by 2019. Interesting article, but not sure how credible?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Think it has been talked about on here and hinted to by SRT etc. Even aside from SRT, its been rumbling around for a while. 2018/2019 the next bump on CAFE is suppose to kick in, and the nice V8's we all like just won't let them reach the #'s they need. Not to say the may not try and do something cool hybrid like, they even have an 8-spd trans that is part hybrid, but it will be interesting. Its partly why i think that Ford as been pretty progressive and aggressive with their Eco-Boost motors. I hope Mopar also has something in the works, and i am sure they do. There will still be SRT's just be different engined SRT's. UNLESS they get a big bump in CAFE with Fiat 500's etc to help offset the CAFE, then maybe they can get another year or so out of the big hemi's, but we wil have to see how it unfolds for everyone over the next couple years

3. rich

rich Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree, FCA will do something. But it seems like a repeat of the early '70's when Hemi's & Muscle cars were going good & getting better, the oil embargo hits, followed by new government regs. that took the wind out of true muscle cars. I guess that's why the saying goes "history always repeats itself".

• Like Like x 2
  4. ChallCat

ChallCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Glad to have been fortunate enough to catch it this time:). I just missed out on the late 60's/ early 70's muscle cars.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The big displacement engines are doomed, get em while you can

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Can't wait for a Fiat 500 SRT

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ManicMechanicMD

ManicMechanicMD Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Though the embargo had something to do with it, the problem with big horsepower in the 70's was insurance. It became so expensive to insure that people couldn't afford it anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Chrysler already pays for CAFE credits, The road map ends at 2019, thats why this article is basing it on ending at 2019. Hemi's will change, They aren't even Hemi's anymore anyway. Could we see the end of V8's, maybe. That all comes down to what happens with gas/oil production

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep, look what Ford has done with everything V6, Even the new Ford GT is now a V6, Hang on to your V8 cats people as History always repeats. I was very young but remember Mom went from a 70's Plymouth station wagon with a 383 to a 74 Toyota corolla 4 banger! Will happen again as big brother is never going to allow 13 mpg cars to continue being built.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ResumeSpeed

ResumeSpeed Platinum Member Agent 707

Donate to this user:
    Donate money to this user
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ralph Gilles stated last year that for SRT models, the Hemi is likely to be replaced by the end of the decade...

• Useful Useful x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Profezzor X

Profezzor X Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Makes you wonder if it's better own a first year Hellcat, or wait until the last year they make them. Either way is a win-win.

Oh, and aren't they suppose to change up the body style for the Charger in 2018?

12. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

With the 3.6L twin turbo??? and a 3500b unit???

13. Immo

Immo Moparpalooza

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I asked Sergio Marchionne about this at the Detroit Auto Show in 2013:

Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne at the Detroit Auto Show: 2013

Me
    "With the CAFE standards becoming stricter and stricter as time goes on, do you see an end to the horsepower wars and V8 engines going in cars in the future?"

Sergio
    "Sorry, what was the question? You just described Hell and I get it."

Me
    "Do you see an end to V8s, V10s, V12s going into production cars in the future with the stricter CAFE standards in the United States?"

Sergio

"I think that the problem with the commitments to V8s, 10s and 12s is they’re going to be defining a thinner and thinner tail-end of the distribution because every time I build a V10 I trade the equivalent of five V6s in terms of CAFE standards. So it’s going to become a margin evaluation as to whether I make the five cars with the V6s or I make one with a V10, right? And then if I make more money out of selling the V10, people will make the one V10 and go home and be happy.

But the burden of complying with the new CO2 regulations is enormous and so there are two things that need to happen: one, we need to get a lot smarter about managing the larger power plants so that effectively they have ways in which they can shut down the excess emissions, and the way in which we do MDS now on the deactivation of the HEMI is one way in which we deal with this one. The car doesn’t need all 8 cylinders? It’ll shut down and run on 4. We need to try that out on the V6s. It certainly would be helpful if we did it on the V10s and the V12s, right? To try reducing their polluting capability.

But the game is getting tougher and so every time we evaluate projects now… I keep on hearing questions, are we going to do the Cuda? Are we going to do the new Challenger? Every time you do things like this it imposes a huge burden on the rest of the portfolio to make sure that you make up for that sin because, technically, in the new CO2 world, you are committing a sin when you build one of those cars. The other way to look at this is if you want to sin you pay for it, right? It’s like gambling. You can have the vice; just show up at the bar and pay the price.

I keep on telling our people that if they insist on having this in the power lineup then they need to get pricing that effectively incorporates the penalty associated with transgression. The buyer has got to pay it, right? It’s like having a guzzler tax. Now you need to have a CO2 tax which allows you to effectively pollute, which is somewhat unethical in a way but at least it compensates the system for the loss at the portfolio level of other cars that we could’ve sold instead. We’re learning how to do this. If I told you that it’s a perfect solution I’d be lying to you. As you can tell, this is part of a heated debate that goes on at product committees pretty frequently."

• Useful Useful x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. rich

rich Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    lets see, Gas guzzler tax, sales tax, registration fee's, gas tax, insurance tax, inspection fee, emission test, and now a CO2 tax.....will it ever end???

15. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Thankyou! That pretty much answers it for any future muscle car rides! It will be 1973 all over again! :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2