24-hour Endurance Run...?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT 392' started by Fiveinch, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Fiveinch

Fiveinch Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    In my 500+ page operations manual, it was stated the SRT's go through a 24-hour endurance run prior to being released from the factory. I'd submit this is an impressive step to take for an American car that isn't considered Limited Edition.

Now my question: can anyone lend credence/debunk this info? If true, is this endurance run done on a dyno-mounted engine/transmission stand, or is the completed car subjected to this endurance run? Either way, this seems to belie the idea that a break-in period is necessary once in an owner's hands.

2. Dragon

Dragon Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have heard the hellcat motors go to a 42 minuet dyno cycle....not sure about the 24 hour endurance test.

3. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If they do they must equip them with special drive shafts and hose clamps! I do that with all my cars a couple of times a year driving down to FL. I don't see the big deal LOL.

4. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The hellcats were put through a 24hr endurance run before they released the line of cars...each car doesnt get a 24 hr run only the 40 min dyno.

From a write up:
    New tests were required to validate engine durability, requiring new laboratories with new dynamometers. The development teams conducted almost 2 million customer-equivalent hours of dynamometer testing on the Hellcat. Road tests included numerous high-speed runs in severe climate conditions and a strenuous 24-hour track testing program at the Nelson Ledges, infamous for its harsh surfaces. Engineers subjected the car to 125 consecutive drag starts. Every engine gets a 42-minute dynamometer shakedown before it is shipped.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  5. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't think the OP meant each car but good to clarify.

If they did 24 hour endurance on each car Brampton Builder and his buddies would probably be driving them direct from the plant to each persons house! ;)... Oh wait, transportation is some sub-contract company. Maybe I'll get a job there.... Breaking in Hellcats!

6. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Could be wrong but sure looks like he is talking about his car...no need for break in..completed car?

7. Fiveinch

Fiveinch Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I did read the manual as 'each car', but I did so due to absence of any verbiage stating otherwise. From a business perspective, it makes sense to test a sampling of the production car, and not each car exiting the line.