295/40/20 Why none in Max Summer Performance?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Driver72, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    OK, I know many of you are jumping to the 305/35/20 tires.

But here's my issue with them:

1. Overall they are actually a tiny bit shorter than the stock tires Pirelli P Zero tires, so they have smaller sidewall too and though are wide, look a bit small in the wheel well of the Hellcat's.
    2. The smaller sidewall increases the chance of rim damage if you hit a pothole and isn't the best for drag racing. Sure the width of the tire is better than stock in that regard, but a bit taller sidewall with a bit more flex is actually better for drag racing too.
    3. They seem a bit too wide. They stick out from under the wheel well a bit too much on the stock wheels.
    Seems if the wheels had an offset that moved them IN by 3/4 of an inch, they would not stick out so far and look a bit off to me.
    4. They are recommended on a 10.5 inch wide wheel. 1 inch difference is too much for me in terms of safety and liability. 1/2 inch difference is probably within the safety buffer that they instill, but doubtful 1 inch is.

So that's where the 295/40/20's came in for me. I started searching for Max Performance Tires in this size, and found....very few choices ( I know I put none in title, but the choices are so slim it's practically none).
    They seem the perfect size for our Hellcats.

1. The Overall Diameter of them is only about 1/2 inch taller than stocks, hardly noticeable to the casual observer. And would fill the wheel well better and not look kind of short like the 305/35's do when looking at them from the side.
    2. The sidewall is about 1/3rd of an inch taller than stock tires. Gives a bit more flex for drag race launches.
    I know this would effectively raise the rear end ratio a bit too, but that's not a bad thing in a car with this much power and may actually allow you to get onto the gas a bit harder, a bit sooner.
    3. The tire width is about 3/4-1" wider than stock. So you get a sizeable increase in the amount of tire that's touching the road for better grip. Yes they'll still stick out more than the stock tires too, but not as much as the 305/35's A wheel with an offset that set the wheels IN by 1/2 inch would probably still be best even for 295/40's, this way tires would stick out equal to what our stock tires do, we'd just have more contact patch on the inside.

Sorry so long, frustrated by the lack of Max Performance tires in 295/40/20's and kind of wishing our stock wheels had offsets that were 1/2 inch more in, so we could put wider tires on them without them sticking out like a 60's hotrod.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Does nitto make a 555r in a 295 40 20

3. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    .4 of an inch is not much, but I understand exactly what you are saying and both up/down will effect the speedo slightly and way the odometer reads mileage.

Further the reduction in gear (going .4-.5 up) would give more contact patch, and reduce gearing maybe enough to make better 2nd gear starts.

You are not far off in your views, and the free lunch here would be if it happened to match our fronts brand/type summer tires. Of course, their is no free lunch today...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

No they don't according to their website. But I'm not looking for a DR for daily use so would want a good Max Performance tire in 295/40

5. IA_Cat

IA_Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Driver72, are you looking at the Continental ExtremeContact DWS? I see they make a 275/40/20 and 295/40/20.

6. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, thanks, I did see the Continental Extreme Contact DWS in 295/40/20
    These are the highest rated Ultra High Performance All Season tire on Tirerack, so they must be good,
    but I was hoping for the Max Performance Extreme Contact DW
    I had them on my Mustang 5.0 a couple years ago and they were great. Little squirrely when cold, but drive a bit and warm them up and they grip excellent.

I'm debating the DWS's now though.
    They are wider than the 275/40 P Zero stockers, but they are all season so they won't be quite as grippy.
    HOWEVER, the increased contact patch may offset that, and maybe more.
    Meaning, you may get more grip on the 295/40 DWS tires than the 275/40 P Zero tires??

Plus the DWS tires will surely do FAR better in colder weather and in rain.
    I don't plan on driving the Hellcat in rain if I can avoid it (as I have a daily driver for that), but I do live in an area that gets a lot of rain, so rain showers can pop up unexpectedly.

7. FlaHellcat

FlaHellcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I put the Continental Extreme Contacts on my CLS55 AMG. They were okay, no where near as sticky as the Nittos I had or the P-Zeros but they lasted a heck of a lot longer. I don't think I would put them on the Hellcat.

8. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    DWS = squirrely PERIOD. I never understood why the DWS has such high ratings. I'm often the odd man out (I'm OK with that) but I think DWS suck! Just my .02 obviously... Many folks like these. I just find them to be a soft tire that wears poorly.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    And my plan was to put those DWSs on after my Pirellis faded. 295/40 was my size too but I'm starting to rethink getting an all season when I got the green light to drive my wife's SUV during the winter. The search continues..................

10. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yup puffy, I agree.

I am now thinking 315/35's
    They are the exact same overall diameter of the stock tires, but 40 mm wider.
    Problem is, you really need a minimum of 20 x 10 inch wheel, and preferably a 20 x 10.5 inch wheel for them.
    And I haven't found a wheel I like with the correct offset that I like. Actually I have, but the problem then is, they don't make the right size
    for the front. It's a bummer

11. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Here's the thing with tires... it all comes down to how common the size is for various vehicle applications. As an example, my SVT Lightning came with 295/45/18 tires on all 4 corners. At that time, if you needed to replace tires, the Goodyear F1s that came stock were basically the only option because nobody else was using that size. A while back it was a similar thing for 19" tires, they were always more expensive compared to 18s or 20s with similar width because they were simply not as common. They're still not THAT common, but more manufacturers are offering them as options.

295/40/20 is just not a common size for Max Performance Summer tires. People typically go 275s, 285s, or skip 295s and jump to 315 and 335, depending on vehicle application.

It sucks, but it is what it is... tire manufacturers aren't going to just make tires in every conceivable size if they're not going to get bought up.

12. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    True. I'm back on the DWS. I have summer tires on my HC and the 220 treadwear is unsat. 540 is a nice number but I see some replicas with a 315 for some true summer fun In the future.