SRT Hellcat Forum banner

3M PPF Pro on Carbon stripes?

8K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Wills.WindowsAndWheelsAz 
#1 ·
Hello forum!

I just got myself a 2016 HC Challenger (Billet w/ Carbon Stripes). I'm scheduled to get the full package of Scotchguard 3M paint protection film next week. I was just wondering if anyone here had experience with this product being used on the carbon stripes? Just wanting to make sure it's safe (according to the installer it's "perfectly fine and beneficial to put it over the stripes as well").
Thanks!

#6 ·
Actually it didnt go as well as I had hoped. I'm scheduled to go back to his shop this week and have him take a look at it because water is finding its way under the film onto the stripes. He thinks that because the stripes are so thick it's leaving space between where the stripes meet the paint and allowing micro amounts of water to leak under. Good thing for a 7 year warranty on the stuff though!

#8 ·
I don't have stripes but they people that put the film on my car have done buddies cars with stripes. They won't go over the stripes. I've heard two reasons (don't recall exactly who the source was though). One was fear of pulling the stripes off or damaging them if the film needs to be removed and the other was the look of the film from the transition of the strip to the paint (the gap). Sort of like when you have a rear window with defroster tinted there is air gaps between the tint and the edge of every defroster line.

Also, with the texture of the carbon fiber look strips I would think it would look odd but who knows. Would love you hear how your install works out good or bad (hopefully good!)

Reactions: MABBRYFL30
#10 ·
One was fear of pulling the stripes off or damaging them if the film needs to be removed and the other was the look of the film from the transition of the strip to the paint (the gap)
I'm kinda ok with the way it looks over the stripes. It's definitely obvious up close that it's on there, but I was more concerned about protection than I was with aesthetics.

The removal part is my biggest worry right now (if he has to remove it all). It was even mentioned to him when I scheduled my first appointment for install. He basically said "I put this stuff on stripes all the time, it'll be perfectly fine" and I took his word for it considering he was a certified 3M installer. It'll be perfectly fine as long as he pays for new stripes if he messes anything up ... :mad:

Hopefully I'll have an update by Friday.

#11 ·
I'm kinda ok with the way it looks over the stripes. It's definitely obvious up close that it's on there, but I was more concerned about protection than I was with aesthetics.

The removal part is my biggest worry right now (if he has to remove it all). It was even mentioned to him when I scheduled my first appointment for install. He basically said "I put this stuff on stripes all the time, it'll be perfectly fine" and I took his word for it considering he was a certified 3M installer. It'll be perfectly fine as long as he pays for new stripes if he messes anything up ... :mad:

Hopefully I'll have an update by Friday.
Well because I heard from one installer that it would damage the stripes doesn't mean it's true.

It would be outstanding if you could remove the film without damaging the stripe. The stripes are replaceable in a pinch but I'm sure the factory stripes are not cheap.

Hope it gets sorted out to your satisfaction and let us know how you make out.

#12 ·
Also, on the flip side when they go around the stripes (like the installer I use) you end up with gaps where the film meets the stripe. That doesn't look all that hot up close either and you have to make sure you don't get wax buildup in the grooves plus over time the edges of the film collect dirt (the adhesive at the edge). It's very hard to keep it perfect. The plus is that it's protecting the paint and the film can be removed. I really like having that sacrificial layer on top. Won't protect you from everything but it goes a LONG way in keeping the car nice.

#13 ·
Ok so it's been a long ass time since I've replied to this, sorry bout that!

Had some work and family stuff come up since the last time I posted and couldnt get my car to the installer up until yesterday.

The installer ended up having to remove the 3M PPF that was over the stripes. In the last 2 months it started getting worse with regards to how much water was getting under the film onto the stripes as seen below...:

Hood Automotive exterior Carbon Grille Metal
Architecture Carbon Tints and shades Ceiling Black-and-white
Automotive exterior Grille Steel Bumper Auto part

This was a bit of a learning experience for me and I hope it was for the "3M certified" installer as well. Thankfully the film over the stripes came off relatively easy and didn't affect the film over the paint itself:

Grille Automotive exterior Hood Bumper Vehicle

TLDR: If you have stripes and plan to get 3M PPF installed... have the installer avoid the stripes.

#16 ·
Thanks for the update. We install Suntek and Xpel Ultimate at our shop - we recently had a Mustang GT 350R in our shop that had a similar strip package to yours.

The stripes were matte - so it required us to use Xpel Stealth (which is made for matte stripes/paint). We actually had to do it in a couple of different pieces. The paint on either side of the strips was done with an individual piece per side - and then two MORE pieces were used for each stripe going down the middle of the hood. The reason for this was - if it had been laid in one piece from the paint, up to the vinyl strip - there is actually a very very small "lift" going from the paint...up to the vinyl strip (since the strip is slightly raised from the paint). Due to that small raise - if one piece had been used it wouldn't completely bond at that seem going from the paint to the stripe.

I'm not sure if your installer tried to apply it in just one piece - but if he did, that slight raise would have likely allowed air...and potentially moisture, into that very small space. I hope this makes sense !

#17 ·
I'm not sure if your installer tried to apply it in just one piece - but if he did, that slight raise would have likely allowed air...and potentially moisture, into that very small space. I hope this makes sense !
It was indeed a single piece. I think it was definitely a learning experience for him. He was pretty confident prior to the install that it would seat just fine since he "had done many stripe jobs before". I think this was probably the first time he had come across stripes that were that thick.

At some point I might decide to go the CQuartz route, but for now I'll give the PPF a chance.

#18 ·
It was indeed a single piece. I think it was definitely a learning experience for him. He was pretty confident prior to the install that it would seat just fine since he "had done many stripe jobs before". I think this was probably the first time he had come across stripes that were that thick.

At some point I might decide to go the CQuartz route, but for now I'll give the PPF a chance.
Well hopefully he did right by you regarding money - it sounds like he took responsibility so thats a good thing.

Regarding the CQuartz route - while both CQuartz Finest and PPF are for paint protection - they are two different animals.
PPF is what you want to protect from chips and blunt force hits from road debris.

With CQ Finest - it offers protection of a different kind. Its purpose is to provide environmental protection from UV rays, chemicals, bird bombs etc. Additionally, it increases gloss, makes cleaning much easier and stays cleaner for longer. However - it wont prevent rock chips!

This is why we typically recommend getting both since they serve difference purposes. You can also actually apply CQF on top of the PPF (which is what we do) to add extra stain and static cling resistance along with the hydrophobic properties that make it easy to clean.

#20 ·
I just went through this I wanted to get 3m film done and have stripes he was originally gonna do what you had done to your car and then inquired about it and said I'll need to get the stripes taken off then new ones put back on after the film is applied so I chickened out. I'm going with the C Quartz route now. Can the 3M be applied after the C Quartz is applied? I'd still like protection on the rocker panels at least.

#21 ·
We have had situations where clear bra was applied after CQuartz Finest was applied and for us at least, there's been no issues. That being said, just note that CQuartz Finest and clear bra protect against two separate things. Finest won't protect against rock chips and other hits of that nature and we usually recommend installing clear bra and Finest at the same time when possible. It is however better to at least get Finest applied rather than having nothing done at all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.