A/C Recirculate function not working?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Hubbs, May 11, 2016.

1. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't think my "recirculate" button is actually doing anything. If I pass something stinky (like a Mustang...ha jk) and hit the button, it doesn't seem to have any effect. I also don't hear the sound of the blowing air change at all. Anybody have any input on this? Does yours behave differently?

I don't want to have the dealer pull anything apart unless it's really worth the effort and the high possibility that it's going to create rattles/squeaks/cricket sounds. I'm thinking I just leave it alone, but I'm curious if it's actually doing anything regardless.

2. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Are your windows up or down???

LOL;)

3. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    make sure you have the system set so you are blowing out the floor vents. set it to the dash vents and try it

• Like Like x 1
  4. PlumCrazyHellCat

PlumCrazyHellCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You have to have it on manual AC for the recirculate to stay on. It will not stay on if you have it on Auto Climate Control. The Automatic Climate Control system has a humidity sensor and will automatically open and close the fresh air door to control the interior humidity when set to automatic.

When the AC is set to manual the humidity sensor is bypassed and not used , allowing you to use the recirculate function of the button.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The recirculation door actuators are a common failure. I have not done any one 15 up Challengers yet but I have done a hand full on the Chargers. They use all the same parts.

Take into your dealer and have them run the HVAC calibration test. It should fail the recirc door. 9 times out of 10 on the newer models it is just the actuator which can be accessed by removing the glove box and a good tech who is limber.

And don't just leave it. You have a $70k car for crying out loud why would you let it turn to junk? Be smart. Not all techs are idiots out there. Good techs are out there. Have some faith.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. F6F-3

F6F-3 SRT Hellcat Owner Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In what city do you work?

7. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The city of Seminole in Pinellas County FL

8. F6F-3

F6F-3 SRT Hellcat Owner Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was hoping you were closer to Atlanta

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks - very helpful!! That probably is what's going on. Everyone else seems to think it's a $30K car with a $40K price tag upgrade...that I should just let everything go and expect to be treated like dirt. I'm always VERY nice when I visit the dealership for work and almost every time I've had a significant issue. I may try another location, but the one I'm thinking of is 50 miles away and I always, always have to leave the car for at least 2 days, so that won't be trivial.

Thanks again!

10. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Happy to try this, but what's the intent...to move the doors around differently?

11. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well in a way you are correct. At the end of the day a Hellcat pretty much uses all the same parts at your base model Challenger does except for the go fast stuff.

But regardless of the model level you should never be treated like dirt at the dealership (or anywhere you go, Hell I do the Challenger wave to 6 cyl's when I am driving my Hellcat!).

Just need to understand that some issues you may have on a Hellcat are the same issues base models have and the final price tag doesn't dictate anything.