A Question of Rarity

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by GoodCaptain, Apr 8, 2016.

1. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    And the answer is YES. The Hellcat is fairly rare by most any standard.

And BTW, where are all of these cars that FCA promised to pump out? I'm in NY and my 100 mile radius included Manhattan, some of NJ and CT, so no one can say this is not an area where these cars sell.

On Car.com there are just 22 Charger Hellcats for sale within 100 miles. If you want a Challenger, it's 3 times easier with 58 Challenger Hellcats for sale within a 100 miles.
    8 of them are showing above MSRP. Of course some of these are sold already.
    But most other pricey rides are FAR easier to find and buy...except maybe the McLaren and Lambo.

329 new Vettes for sale in the same radius!!! 85 are Z06!
    136 Porsche 911's!
    46 Bentley Flying Spur's!
    11 McLaren's
    21 GT-R's
    201 Camaro (SS, Z28, ZL1)
    159 Mustang GT Premium
    35 Audi RS7

If FCA really wants more Hellcats on the road, they'll have to step-it-up because a Hellcat is still not that easy to find and ordering one is often a long wait.
    I spent many months securing my Hellcat Charger (I should finally have it next week) allocation, waited even more for it to hit production. But I can go out today and buy a new 911 or Vette and drive it home. Same for the Aston Martin DB9.
    Hellcat's aren't common, nor will they ever be.

Robert

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I decided to buy a HC last Nov my dealer had allocation but did not know which month it would become available. I decided to search for an HC optioned exactly like I would order and pay no more than MSRP. Seemed to be a lot of HCs out there in every combination of options and colors. I think if a person looks he can find what he wants...may have to drive many hours to get it though...

3. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Robert, you are correct. It is still some work to find any Hellcat to buy. I am somewhat happy with that. I don't want to see one on every corner but the price tag helps with that even at MSRP. The other issue is we happen to live in an area where these cars are just not practical 5 months out of the year. The warm weather states sell far more. Michigan appears to be the exception. Other than Chrysler being headquartered there does not seem logical as Spock would say.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Ruger3320

Ruger3320 Senior Hellcat member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am not sure where the problem is. I ordered 2 of them for 16 1 M6 and 2nd A8. 1st one delivered in 28 days and 2nd delivered in 30 days. My 2 2015 cats the same in M6 92 days and the A8 119 days. I did not pay over MSRP for any of them and with another call I could get another one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

Yup. I have no idea why people have an "opinion" on this. There are opinions and then there's MATH.

There are currently 327 Hellcat Chargers for sale (no distance restrictions). 976 Hellcat Challengers.
    And there are 8056 Corvettes for sale, 2107 are Z06.

As we all know, many of those Hellcats are sold or have ADM and so on. No one is saying, "You can't get one." I got one at MSRP and so will others. But the numbers are "adding" up to a car you won't see a whole lot of in Hellcat trim, he Charger being the most rare.

Cheers,

Robert

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The right dealer is the key. Low number of buyers in your area is other factor. Just my theory.

7. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

Sigh...

Yes, some folks in some areas will have no issue and walk in on an open allocation. Most won't.
    Do you actually think I'm lying? Do you think all of other people are lying? Do you think Cars.com is lying?
    I also know people who "got a Hellcat easily" but I know it's usually not the case. My exporter friend got 3 easily, fought hard for the others.

This is simply not the case for most other cars.

Robert

• Like Like x 1
  8. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

Exactly right. But lower volume dealers also get fewer allocations. My dealer has had 5 so far for 2016, all sold pre-delivery. Only two have been delivered and mine is the only Charger.

I didn't want to buy the Hellcat from a far-away dealer. Within 100 miles of me there is ONE Hellcat Charger that is close to the way I want it, but it has the sunroof, which I don't want.

I can buy a Porsche 911 any way I want it before lunch and have it Monday.

If people think Hellcats are common, then the word "rare" must have a new meaning and production numbers must also be fake!
    :p

Robert

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. TNCHARGER

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I don't think anyone here are saying the HC are available on every corner just that if you look you can find one if you are will to go the distance. I did a search and found 3 chargers with 200 miles that would fit my wants...one about 2 miles from my office.

Now if I compare that to an RT then yes, the HC is a rare bird...just not so rare it can't be had...some opinion but mostly fact...

• Like Like x 1
  10. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

Didn't say that they can't be found. I never said you can't find the car you want under a bed or 200 miles away.

I did say that they are relatively and comparatively rare and harder to get than many other cars at that price point and substantially higher. The numbers bear that out.

Robert

11. TNCHARGER

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    and I agreed with you...

• Like Like x 2
  12. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

Nope. I'd rather argue!
    ;-)

Robert

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Never Satisfied

Never Satisfied SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think I understand where you are coming from Captain. My Cat was ordered in the second week of January and I'm still D1. In searching, I found three cars with the exact options that I ordered (within 250 miles) but two of them were well over MSRP and the third was already sold. At this price point, this is a once in a lifetime purchase for me. I understand that for many, this may not be a big deal but for me it certainly is. Since it is such a big deal, the car HAS to have the exact options I want or I just can't pull the trigger.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

Have you called the SRT number and asked them when your actual allocation goes/went into effect?
    I also ordered in January, but my allocation was not in effect until March 1st. SRT actually called to tell me that, with a window of 6-10 weeks before I'd see the car. It's now in Buffalo and should be at my dealer shortly.

Give SRT a call, sir.

Robert

15. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We have talked about this very thing before. The only hellcats I have seen are far fewer than the gm models/others you stated. We have the NE challenger club and there are over 100 members or more. There are maybe 5/6 hellcats. Your post is great and the time you took to write it is appreciated. We don't see numbers a lot when we are thinking or even arguing. With this information we could potententially win a battle and the war goes on. Thank cappy. Tak to you soon

• Like Like x 2