A tinny rattle sound when first lightly driving off...anybody else?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Highlyfueled, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Highlyfueled

Highlyfueled Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Anybody else here have this sound coming from your car, had my mechanic look at it (not the dealer) , he thinks it might be coming from the passenger side exhaust possible something electronic in the exhaust. It only makes this sound briefly and goes away. Only when its in drive it makes this sound. In park or neutral no sound only when first initial start driving . Any input from anyone here would help....oh and it has made this sound from day one i got it, last Oct ( is it normal for this little rattle sound)

2. LITSOUT

LITSOUT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's likely the actuators for active exhaust.. I recall a few posts about this in the last few weeks..

3. LITSOUT

LITSOUT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  4. Highlyfueled

Highlyfueled Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks i haven't brought it to the dealer yet, I don't have a lot of trust because most mechanics there are not to sharp specially when is hard to recognize what it is problem, when I'm in the car it sounds like it's coming from underneath around back of the motor to he passenger side. Would you remember what posts I could read about it

Thanks again

5. LITSOUT

LITSOUT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Posted a link above...

6. Highlyfueled

Highlyfueled Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    just read it, they seam to be talking about squeak sound, mine is a rattle tinny sound

7. Peter Gozinya

Peter Gozinya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a vibration / tinny sound I heard in the passenger door. I would hear it at @1200 RPM's especially on cold start up when the car was sitting still and I had no other road noise to help muffle it. It was starting to drive me nuts. I had it in for the first oil change and had the tech pull the door skin off which really was not a big deal at all. We both tried to locate where the noise was coming from but could not find it. I put some tacky like putty on some spots of the inner liner inside of the door where I thought it may be creating the vibration and noise. After driving the car for a bit and one night letting my friend drive it, I sat in the passenger seat and I pressed hard against the inside of the door and the noise is now gone. I have not heard it since thank goodness. Noises are definitely a PIA and not something you want with your new car. I have not heard anything else pertaining to the exhaust or servos in the exhaust. good luck.

8. Highlyfueled

Highlyfueled Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have heard a few had it at the dealer yesterday but had to schedule another appointment. I did figure out something, I took the black key with me yesterday and it made a that tinny sound in default, street and track when I have the red key in track mode you will not hear it, I'm 99 percent sure it's coming from inside the passenger side exhaust, I really think it has something to do with electronic flutters that open and close. I guess will see soon enought it's going back next Tuesday morning with a bay open to put up on the lift as soon as I get there.

What sucks is they only have one mechanic certified to work on the vehicle, and I problily know more than him

9. Peter Gozinya

Peter Gozinya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey you cou

Hey you could have worse problems for sure. Anyone that watches this forum has seen some really scary shit happening to these cars. I am sure it is annoying as hell though.

At least where it is you won't have a tech ripping your interior apart. I am sure they will fix it. Nice job trying to use the different key fobs to troubleshoot it. That is half the battle.

10. Highlyfueled

Highlyfueled Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks, I do know some of the other stuff of other members go through. but the truth is, it shouldn't be for the money we pay for these cars. I have nightmares just thinking of have to bring it to the dealer, for a while I was saying **** it I'll live with it, but it finally got to me. Plus I wanna get it over with so I can finish my car with the new driveshaft and tires I just bought and get this stuff installed and I didn't wanna here from them well I change this and I change that, to blame it on something I did.

11. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    When changing my oil i took off the bottom shield to drain the oil cooler.
    At the plug itself, it is not supported by anything. It flops around slightly and makes contact with the plastic parts that are around it.
    since you say a rattle sound, and not specifically a metal rattle sound. You might want to check this are out.

clearance around this plug is very small to non existent. Maybe it is in that area. Passenger side but up front of the engine.

Matt

12. Highlyfueled

Highlyfueled Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Its a metal sound and doesn't do in track mode