A8 Clunk/Thud when putting into reverse or drive

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by 2dogs1cat, Jan 8, 2017.

1. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Is this common?
    Almost every time i put the car into drive or reverse after leaving work, I get a thud or clunk once the gear engages and you can feel the car lurch forward.

Thanks

2. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Check with your dealer to see if the latest technical service bulletin for the transmission needs to be applied to your vehicle. It'll fix the lurch.

3. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Would the 2016 still need that TSB?

4. rayzazoo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Attached is the one that applies to 2016 vehicles.

SUBJECT: Flash: Transmission Shift And Drivability Enhancements

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves reprogramming the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with the latest available software. MODELS: 2016 (LA) Dodge Challenger 2016 (LD) Dodge Charger 2016 (LX) Chrysler 300 NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NAFTA, LATAM, EMEA and APAC.

NOTE: This bulletin applies to the following vehicles built on or before August 05, 2016 (MDH 0805XX) equipped with a 6.4L engine (Sales Code ESG) and equipped with an 8HP70 automatic transmission (Sales Code DFK) or equipped with a 6.2L engine (Sales Code ESD) and equipped with an 8HP90 automatic transmission (Sales Code DFE).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: A small number of customers may experience a less than desirable down shift during one or more of the following: • 3-2 coast down shift. • 2-1 coast down shift. • 6-5 coast down shift.

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. B5 MOPAR

B5 MOPAR Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I find that I have a clunk when I am just cruising with my foot on the gas and when I remove my foot from the gas petal and re apply there is a little clunk. Almost like there is a little play in the transmission/driveshaft/rear end and its catching up when a apply the gas petal. I have a 2015 , don't know if the TSB would apply.

6. rayzazoo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Here is the one for 2015. I have a 2015 and had the revision done. Similarly, I had the coasting, harsh downshifts and the flash fixed that.

Attached Files:

7. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The TSB fix may correct the issue with your "thud/clunk" by accident, but it sounds to me like the TSB is about correcting rough downshifts in the A8. Your issue sounds more like either excessive play in the ring & pinion or a sloppy U-Joint (i.e. excessive play in the driveline) since you didn't complain of downshifting issues but rather a thud/clunk when you put the car in gear. I suspect your problem is unrelated to the problem targeted by the TSB

Do you have any downshifting issues during 6-5, 3-2, or 2-1 coasting downshifts? If not, then I suspect your issue is more of a mechanical than an electronic issue as stated above. Another relevant question is, have you altered the differential in this car? Maybe 3.09 gearing?

In the event of excessive driveline play, the problem would be more pronounced when the vehicle is stopped as in shifting into drive or reverse, and while still noticeable while moving, the problem would be lessened while the vehicle is in motion.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Interesting timing of this post/thread. I was backing out the other day and just moments after, the rear rend made a loud groan or rubbing sound. I immediately hit the brake, as my daughter and I both thought we backed into or over something. Nothing was there and it has not done it prior or since. It was very cold that morning....not sure if that had anything to do with it.
    I do have the rear end groaning at low speed and acute turns that many people have noticed. Have not taken the vehicle in for inspection on that as of yet.

9. rayzazoo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    TSB for that as well that applies to 2015-2017. It's a differential fluid swap with addition of LSD additive.

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. legmaker

legmaker Gold Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    funny to see this thread......... i have just recently noticed what I can only describe as a small "clunk" when going into reverse.

11. Blackbeast

Blackbeast VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How about when you first start the car and drive off ...the transmission roughly shifts for bit then immediately becomes smooth...? Is that normal? Transmission fluid getting where it needs to go or low ??

12. rayzazoo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's normal. Fluid needs some time to warm up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blackbeast

Blackbeast VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks!

14. legmaker

legmaker Gold Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    as ray said, thats normal. mine does it as well until the first shift, especially if the car is cold.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It doesn't do it really on normal shifting, but it definitely does it when putting it in gear whether its drive or reverse.