A8 OR M6???

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Westcoastcat, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Westcoastcat

Westcoastcat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello I put my order in a few days ago and still have time to change....i ordered M6.

Please give me your feedback and pros and cons.

I am new to the muscle car game, I have owned fast auto imports. There is new amazing track opening up next year a few hrs away.

Check it out

Vancouver Island Motorsport Resort

Thanks!

2. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are a number of threads on this topic.

For the drag strip, I'd opt for the A8....also if it's a daily driver. It's quicker and has remote start. The A8 is one of the best autos I've driven. Very intuitive.

I do enjoy a manual transmission, that is the direction I'd go if it was a weekend toy.

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Auto if you are very interested in strip times. I prefer manual.

4. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    its really totally up to the driver. A8 is a tad quicker (humans can't shift as fast as machines) but the M6 would be a blast to drive pounding through gears. No one can tell you what to get other than you.

5. macden

macden SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got the M6, but mine is not a DD. I plan on going to the drag strip, but I think of the manual as a challenge to my driving skills. I know I can never beat an A8, but will be competing against myself (until I get my doors blown off by an automatic).

If mine was going to be a DD, I would have gotten the A8

6. Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd go with the M6 because it makes the car more exciting to drive on the street IMO

Like others are saying, if you are looking for the best times at the strip, the A8 is the better option

Nick C.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Had the M6 in 2010 Challenger R/T...

Got the A8 in Charger HC...simply amazing. Given the multiple driving modes available in the A8, it's clearly a great choice. A8 goes from tame to aggressive and back at the touch of a button. What's not to like!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Bob

Bob Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I absolutely love my M6. Have the A8 in 2 other FCA vehicles I own and its a great transmission (SRT Grand Cherokee and RAM 1500). Drove another Hellcat in an A8 and its fun BUT IMO not as much fun...no way no how. Unless you care about a few tenth of a second at the drag strip (i suspect you can't even feel that difference) I would get the M6.

Sure its easier to do a 1/4 mile run and a crazy ass burnout in an A8 but when just driving around town the A8 is somewhat boring to ME unless your constantly on it and where can you accelerate forever? Paddle shifters are not the same as an M6. Have them...done that...not the same. I don't even use them on my GC because its too difficult. Turn the wheel more than 100 degrees and they are hard to hit right, go a 180 degrees and the paddles are below the steering wheel and very difficult to hit at all. Paddle shifters are only good for straight runs or mild turn roads. An M6 is good all the time!

Shifting gears on your own, feeling in total control, holding the rpm's up to hear the motor screamin (almost never use 5 or 6th gear and I don't give a crap about gas mileage), downshifting, pushing the clutch in and reving the motor (sometime..all the time), the exhaust gurgle you only get with a manual are just of a few reason I love the M6.

I originally ordered an A8 because I had come to love it in my 14 SRT GC. Then got talked into a M6. I am SOOOOOO glad I listened and got the M6.

Of course traffic sucks but I don't use mine as a daily driver. I take it out on nice days and do spirited runs, banging gears, and loving the music that comes from both the front and rear of this beast. Occasional traffic isn't bad at all. The clutch is very easy to operate.

With all that said, if your all about 1/4 mile runs, races from a dead stop, burnouts, and not good with a manual...get the A8. It is a great transmission...ultra fast and easy!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sjbeckman01

Sjbeckman01 Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got an A8. Was going to settle for the M6 telling myself the good points about a stick. There are many. Bottom line, I want red the convienience of the auto, besides hearing the auto performed better. I'm glad I got the A8. If you want to run full manual you can. You can also paddle shift and can run in auto. I love It! Get what you really want, and enjoy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wouldn't be so sure, if you are experienced at the track, then I bet you could beat some rookies (like me) in an A8. I just wouldn't say NEVER beat an A8.

11. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Manuals are for nostalgia, period.

Autos are quicker. Have been for a long ass time now.

Now, aside from the performance differences, it's really a personal choice. Some claim that autos aren't "fun" because you're not rowing through the gears. Whatever, I've owned both in my lifetime and I'm much happier in rush hour traffic with an automatic, no clutch killing my leg. Also, when I want to have the fun of shifting, I have paddle shifters... still fun, and a hell of a lot faster than a manual transmission.

I used to subscribe to the "manuals are the only way to go on a performance car", but back then we all thumbed our noses at fuel injection and ABS too. We thought real cars didn't need computers, we were wrong because our antiquated notions were blinding us and holding us back.

I won't buy a manual anymore. I wanted to wait till next year for the new Shelby GT500 (since I loved my last one so much), but knowing that they'll never put an auto in there killed that idea for me. Not only is it a PITA for daily driving, but I'm not John Force... and you damn near need to be to launch a Shelby or a Hellcat with a manual transmission. 905 of the YT videos of Hellcats losing street races and runs at the strip are manuals that are burning the tires....

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have owned my Challenger M6 cat 6 weeks, almost 600 miles... This is (my persona)l take on the A8 vs the M6 now after owning her a bit and lost of thought on the matter.

I purchased my M6 based on years of preferring a manual in a sports car. I simply like a stick . I had one sports car years ago with an auto and always missed my stick! However it looks like the A8 changes things BIG TIME.

In the past I preferred manual as was less expensive (still is) did not require those expensive auto trans fluid flushes and gave better gas millage. Well, things have changed as I had no idea that the A8 has lifetime fluid but the M6 requires a fluid change at 40K! Who would have guessed...

I will NEVER drag race my car on a drag strip, just not my thing... If I wanted to do that I personally would buy a Drag Pak and go at it 100%. Even if I did decide to drag race my cat I would not choose my transmission based on something I did just a few times with my car. However If I was into tracking the cat as lots of folks are and getting the best time was my goal then the A8 would be the way to go I guess.

I drive my M6 for pleasure period. I may bust a mustang or something but I drive for fun. With the M6, I like being able to pop the clutch in, rev her up and make my exhaust bark at will...Having to place an auto in natural to rev her up and the "click" back in drive is just not my cup of tea.

I like the M6, I do not care for the skip shift feature and may eliminate that soon but is not a deal breaker for me. The M6 shifts nice and is easy to drive. I did have the hill assist or whatever it is called activate yesterday for the 1st time and thats a very cool feature so you don't roll back on a hill with the manual. I say the M6 is a fine transmission if you like a manual.

I love my Challenger and prefer the look over the Charger but I can see sometime in my future a Charger 4 door with auto as that would be more of a daily driver for me or more practical as practical as 707 HP can be.

For now I have my old Police Crown Vic with an auto that I use to go to the grocery store etc and the cat stays in the garage and only comes out to play so I do like an auto around town as it is easer.

I based my (M6) decision on my past preferences with cars, IMO a muscle car just must be a manual, However with the A8 requiring less maintenance, faster, more high tech, I can see going A8 but Im just old school, I prefer my old harley to have a carburetor and not EFI, as it just sounds better! I prefer a vinyl record to digital music and I would have been fine if my Hellcat had 707 HP and no touch screen but that just me...

If you want bragging rights that your car is a bit faster on the track the A8 will give you that. If your car is a daily driver in traffic then possibly the A8, If you simply like an auto you will love the A8 I would think.

Full disclaimer, when I decided on my M6 I had not done my research on just how good that new A8 is. If I had it to do over it would be a very hard decision.
    Let us know...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. HELLKAT_NY

HELLKAT_NY Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Street= M6 Strip=A8. Street/strip= A8. Paddle shifters are for European cars and IMO don't belong on HC. A dual gate would be cool.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The A8 is the most amazing transmission I have had in a car. Hands down it's just amazing. But the way I look at it getting the M6 is like keeping a bit of history around. Let's face it many of the kids growing up these days will never know how to drive a manual. My wife doesn't know how. Hell it's been so long for me I'm sure I would have a problem doing it but growing up it's all we had so I learned well. But for me the choice was made for me because I got the Charger.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HELLKAT_NY

HELLKAT_NY Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    hurstshifter.jpg.cf.jpg

• Like Like x 1