A8 Transmission

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Georgia cat, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Georgia cat

Georgia cat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Picked the cat up yesterday and I put 200 miles on it just now.All of this with the red key at 707hp and track mode manual shifting,works great.Then coming through my subdivision just now,I put it in 707 default mode and auto shift.Leaving a stop sign really easy it felt like it didn't want to shift from 1st to 2nd,kind of like it was slipping or something? Anybody experience this?

2. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Try it with the black key. Did you review break in procedures? I am sure you are looking at all possible causes...good luck...your answer will help me in July, August,????when mine gets here...lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have heard if your driving your car hard, that the computer picks up on that and in auto mode will hold a gear longer,, but if you say it's slipping, that's something different

4. jbriner89

jbriner89 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm betting you didn't come to a COMPLETE stop. My 2014 ecodiesel sometimes gets caught shifting between 2-1/3-1 and I start to accelerate again before the downshift is complete and there is a long wait for it to firmly accelerate again while it picks up your input and completes the shift for the transmission.
    I know it's not the exact same 8spd, but I'm confident the shifting algorithms are very similar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Georgia cat

Georgia cat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Seems to be getting better,must have needed to learn how to make easy shift after I had been beating on it in manual track mode.

6. John OGRj

John OGRj Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    On mine when I changed to track on the fly at low speed it downshifted and jumped up my rpm,s. I was a little freaked until I realized what happened made sense - no feel of any slippage though.

7. jbriner89

jbriner89 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have also noticed the 8spd in my truck will sometimes unlock the torque converter and use 2nd or 3rd to accelerate from slow speed. Is there a way to have the gear selection monitored to see which gear the transmission is currently using?

8. rickydl

rickydl Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have the 8 speed in my 14 SRT Jeep. In the TFT display it shows the current gear. That is a selectable mode in the TFT settings. I'd bet it's also in the Hellcat's TFT display. I can watch it downshift when I punch it.

One other thing to note...In track mode the shifts are very crisp. I think about 120ms. In default or street mode, the shifts will seem a little slower (sloppy for lack of a better word).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015