Access to oil cooler plug?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by VAL, Dec 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. VAL

VAL Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have read the threads pertaining to oil changes, the access panels that must be removed and the drain plug on the oil cooler. My question is this, on a Challenger, can you reach (meaning get your hand on) the oil cooler plug without removing the panels? Can you reach in through the front or from anywhere and at least touch it?

2. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I can tell you about the Charger...

Oil cooler is tucked up in front of passenger wheel well so it gets airflow from that corner. Lower cover (with sheet metal screws and push pins) have it in very close proximatey of the oil cooler. There really is no way to get to it without taking off the lower cover. Plug head faces outward from middle of the car. Besides you need the lower cover off to access the oil filter.

20 fasteners of three different types: 4 x 10mm head machine bolts in the plastic engine pan, 8 x sheet metal screws along front facia, 8 x push pins holding lower cover to engine cover and wheel well coverings.

So here is a recent youtube video on the Charger...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. VAL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Thank you for your response. I am due to take delivery in a couple of weeks and then I will have a much better idea of what you are referring to. I had not read about having to remove the access panel to get to the oil filter before. However I had read about others cutting a hole in the access panel and installing a small access panel for ease of future oil changes. Why would they do this if you have to remove the panel to get to the oil filter anyway? Oh well, I guess this will all be clear in a couple of weeks. Thank you, again.

4. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. VAL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great write up, thank you for sending link.