SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Actual Tank capacity at Fill up?

21K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  fnkychkn 
#1 ·
The question is what is the most you've put in your Challenger HC at fill-up and if you recall, where was your needle when you did?

For me, I was barely one needle width above E and it was only a 16.5gal fill up.

I want to know two things;

1. Where is the real bottom of the tank, such that I can intentionally run close to it for the Denver Mile.
  2. What is the actual usable capacity of the tank for the Silver State Classic
An image of the fuel gauge at this bottom mark gets bonus points!

;)

#2 ·
I'm not about to run my tank too low and overheat the fuel pump. According to the documentation, the Challenger has a 18 US gallon tank. I noted the difference knowing my 2012 SuperBee had a 19 US gallon tank

#3 ·
16.5 gallons for me as well on last fill-up.....so for me, 22 miles to go before empty = 2 gal.@11mph:p

#24 ·
The first month I owned the HC I was on I-10 headed for Phoenix & my low fuel warning came on & no gas stations for miles. I barely made it before running out & put in 18.2 gal. I since learned my lesson as soon as the light comes on or 1/4 tank I fill up.The in tank pump uses the fuel to keep it cool & running it low shortens the life of it.

#25 ·
Bull, careful, at least on corners and potentially while accelerating too low on gas and you may starve it. It has happened to me on our track. I have run out, also got dangerous low, I think 16.5 gal is about it.

#26 ·
BULL

I've never run my car to the line and filled up but thanks for posting this great question. I honestly hadn't even thought about it. I volunteered last year for the Silver State Classic Challenge and there were two Hellcats in the race. Both were in the rookie or "touring" division which has a max tech speed of 124. The course is 90 miles from Lund to Hiko and they both crossed the finish line. Guess I wasn't too concerned with mileage since this will be my first time. I was finally approved for days off after two months notice. Are you going this year? It would be awesome to see another Hellcat. I know they have 1/2 mile and 1 mile runs scheduled for Friday and Saturday.

#29 ·
Damn...I was hoping things had changed and you were able to make it. Anybody else planning to go?

#28 ·
ran my cat dry, twice

17.2 and it started to hesitate, just got it to the curb, then called for backup.

fwiw when it's empty on the gauge you are walking,,,incidentally the range said 20 mi to go when it was dry. avg mpg for me is 20.1

#33 · (Edited)
There is only one electric fuel pump (driver's side). The pump on the passenger side is a venturi pump and it's sole purpose is to transfer fuel to the driver's side.

From FSM:

DESCRIPTION
This vehicle uses a saddle type tank that has a reservoir on both sides of the rear drive shaft. The main fuel pump module is located on the left side of the vehicle. The auxiliary fuel pump module is located the right side of the vehicle. The fuel outlet or fuel supply line is on the auxiliary fuel pump module (right side) and supplies fuel to the engine. The electrical connector is on the main fuel pump module (left side) and controls both modules. The fuel pressure regulator is integrated into the auxiliary fuel pump module and is not a serviceable component.

Both modules have fuel level sending cards. The fuel level sending cards are not serviceable components. There are two hoses that connect the main and auxiliary fuel pump modules together, one is the fuel supply line the other two are fuel return lines. These lines are removed from the main fuel pump module when servicing either unit. One fuel filter is used and is located at the bottom of the main fuel pump module and is designed for extended life. A separate frame mounted fuel filter is not used with any engine. The fuel filter is not a serviceable component.

OPERATION
Fuel enters the reservoir of the main fuel pump module (left side). The main fuel pump module pumps the fuel through the filter to the auxiliary fuel pump module (right side) through a supply line inside the fuel tank. The fuel pressure regulator inside the auxiliary fuel pump module regulates the pressure at 58 psi and sends fuel to the engine. All unused fuel that is not sent to the engine is fed through a venturi at the bottom of the auxiliary fuel pump module. This creates a low pressure siphoning effect and draws fuel from the passenger side of the tank and transfers it to the drivers side tank via a siphon hose inside the tank. While the vehicle is running the fuel in the right side of tank is continuously transferred to the left side. Fuel will continue to fill the left side tank till it reaches the bridge section and then starts to spill over to the right side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.