Adding amp & sub to stock Alpine system in SRT 392 / HC, best way to mount it?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Electronics' started by srtjay, Jul 1, 2016.

1. srtjay

srtjay Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Curious if anyone's added something like this to the stock system:
    JL Audio CS112G-W6v3
    JL Audio Slash 600/1v3

Wondering how much trunk space something that size would take up (planning to estimate it with a measuring tape but actual photos of installs are always best). The sealed box seems fairly compact but won't look as clean as a custom box of course. Seen some installs that mounted the sub in the spare tire area sort of like the factory subs in the upgraded Charger audio systems (Beats or HK) and others that wall it off to one side in the trunk rather than a box that sits right behind the seats.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. Yoshi5674

Yoshi5674 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That sub is gonna have to sit wherever you can fit it in a charger. You only have 13" of height to work with behind the seat if I remember right. And if you put a box over the access panel its a pain in the ass if you ever have to access it. My keyless entry went haywire and I had to disconnect the battery one night. Well, I had a custom box with a 13W7 in it. About 120lbs I had to move just to D/C the battery. Never again will I cover that up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rivalry

Rivalry Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I obtained a tremendous improvement in volume and frequency mounting my sub facing the recessed area in the back of the trunk. Unfortunately, that is covering up the access area.

I had 2 angle iron supports to keep the sub from moving that didn't take long to remove and rotate the sub out of the way. Fortunately I didn't have to access anything under it during the time I owned it.

4. Rivalry

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That is where I originally had mine. I moved it around until I pointed it in that recessed area in your pic. This not only improved sound but it kept anything I had in the back from banging into the front.

Basically, the sound waves that bounce off the back of your truck will cancel out the sound waves coming off the speaker.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rivalry

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Remove the liner to allow the air to pass from trunk to cab. It is just held on with some plastic clips.

6. Rivalry

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Just the baffle in the trunk that covers the bottom of your rear deck piece. You don't have to remove the rear deck. In order to get sound to the cab from your trunk it has to pass through somewhere.

There should be enough holes in the metal to allow sound waves to travel to the cab.

7. Rivalry

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You need to tap both. You can use your amps high level input or a high level to RCA converter.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Rivalry

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    There are so many factors that add to the temperature. How long can you hold your hand on it? What size and and what speaker are you pushing? What model amp and power rating?
    One thing you can check is make sure the power and ground connections are good. No paint inhibiting your ground etc..