Adding Heated and Cooled Cupholders with working Red/Blue rings

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by unixadm, Oct 17, 2015.

1. unixadm

unixadm Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I ordered the cupholder for my car and installed it a couple of weeks back and this was not my idea or mod, I just wanted to install it in my 2015 Scat Pack. For those who have done this mode on a 2015, the Red (heating) and Blue (cooling) rings do not light up when the cupholder is on. The normal ring illumination works when the parking or headlamps are on though, but that is turned off when you place the cupholder into either heating or cooling mode.

Just a note about this mod. It is plug and play on vehicles which have heated rear seats. If your car does not have heated rear seats, then you will need to power it with switched +12V (orange wire on the cupholder).

The system itself is relatively simple and looking at the 2014 Charger SRT8 wiring diagram, I really couldn't see much different in the wiring itself. However the one thing to note is that the white wire with a small grey stripe is configured as the Left Rear Park Lamp Driver. That driver circuit is fed by the Body Control Module (BCM). My hunch was that in 2015, the BCM was not configured to output to that circuit even though the wiring existed.

So I set to work on using my Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVOM) to start tracing wires wiring the console area. Pink is +12v, Black is -/Ground, Orange/Grey is +/Illumination and the White/Grey was inactive. I then set about testing the the cupholder and noticed that the grey wire was the only one that was unused at this point.

I got my Power Probe 3 (handy tool, but get a Power Probe IV instead) out and decided in the interest of safety of back-feeding the body harness and/or BCM, I would cut the grey wire on the cupholder harness. I also don't like modifying things on the vehicle side, so if I was going to make it work it was going to be modified on the cupholder itself anyhow. After that I turned on one of the cupholders and then fed the wire +12v using the PP3. The results were that it didn't work. So I turned off the cupholder, fed it +12V and then turned the cupholder back on. Success. The ring lit up blue or red depending on the mode. Progress.

[​IMG]

So how to fix this for the 2015. It's really EASY, so easy that anyone can do it.

1. Cut the grey wire on the cupholder harness half way between the connector and the Printed Circuit Board (PCB).
    2. Use an 18-22GA 3M splice connector to connect the grey and orange wires. The grey wire you will connect to comes from the cupholder PCB, so that should go into the side of the splice connector that has one end capped off. Then slip the splice connector over the orange wire, ensure the grey wire is bottomed out and the orange wire is in the outside edge of the connector. Use a pair of basic pliers to press the splice blade into the wires. Then close the plastic hasp.

[​IMG]

And the finished results...

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. FL 1st Hellcat

FL 1st Hellcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks!
    Nice write up-I just ordered mine.
    Any problems taking apart the center console?

Regards,

Pat

3. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    thats a fun mod and its good for some extra hp too????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. unixadm

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The steps to open up the console are:

1. Pop up the trim ring that surrounds the shifter. I start from the rear of that bezel.
    2. Pop out the two side wings on the console which sit next to the shifter bezel. They will pop out towards each seat and you can see the clip on each side once the shifter bezel is removed.
    3. The cupholder trim piece is the most challenging piece. It uses two rear metal spring clips and two front manual release plastic clips. The front clips are a bit of a pain, but do not pry up on the front. There are two rectangular access holes which can be used to access the release on those clips. I used a 90 degree pick tool. You must push the little plastic tang towards the rear of the car just the right amount while gently lifting up on the trim piece. You must do this on both sides and it can be a pain! If you stick your finger in those access holes, you will feel the piece that moves. Then you lift the console lid and pop the back the back of the cupholder trim piece up to release both clips. Here's something to watch out for. The rear metal clips actually slipped off the trim piece and fell inside of the console. They are green in color and if your trim piece doesn't have them still attached when removed, you'll have to go hunting for them deep in the console after removing the cupholder assembly.
    4. The cupholder is held in place by six screws. Remove them and then remove the sliding door assembly. It may require a little tug to get it to slip out.
    5. Remove the screws and pop up the rear section of the cupholder first. Then you can remove it fairly easily.
    6. Installation is just the reverse order.

The cupholder can be modified prior to starting the project, so it's just as plug and play as any other writeup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. unixadm

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Of course it does - all mods do. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    right now with 40s outside that heated cup holder sounds great

7. speedsnice

speedsnice Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Just found the part number for it 1PB67DX9AD

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The op sounds like he knows his way around wiring,, would really love a write up on doing a light up srt driver air bag,, like the ones that come in the vapor srt jeeps,, hint hint,, next mod

9. unixadm

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The issue with the airbag is that when inflated, it may not fit the cabin of the Charger/Challenger correctly since the GJC is a bit larger inside, especially in the roofline. I do have a 2014 Durango R/T where I could perform such a mod, but my focus is more on the Charger. I will say there is a writeup for the JGC and I'm fairly sure the wiring modifications is the same. However from a safety standpoint, I'm not sure it's the best idea unless it's proven the airbag inflation envelope is basically the same.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. ChargeCat

ChargeCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for this fix. I installed the heated/cooled cupholders a few months ago and assumed/accepted that the lack of the red/blue halo was due to different wiring. This completes the mod!!!

11. rrroscoe

rrroscoe Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    This is great. I swapped out the couple holder and always wondered why they "lost" the light when heating or cooling. Took 10 minutes to hook this up! Any idea where the other side of the gray connects to?

12. unixadm

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yes. The circuit should feed back to the Body Control Module (BCM). For whatever reason, it appears that the driver inside of the BCM is not activated or working properly based on the diagrams. It could be a programming issue in the BCM, but by default the pink and white/grey wires are not used with the stock cupholder.

13. Profezzor X

Profezzor X Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That's a kickass mod... Subscribed, for when I do mine.

14. TorRed

TorRed Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Does this actually keep a cup hot or cold?

15. rrroscoe

rrroscoe Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yes