advice on selling a Challenger

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by huggytree, Nov 29, 2014.

1. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    not sure where to post this, but here goes

i currently have my 2011 IE for sale on Cars.com, Autotrader, Craigs list...im asking full blue book (which doesnt give any extra for it being an IE)...im willing to deal a bit though....ive gotten nothing from it......i just took 25 good photo's and am in the process of updating the listings...

seeing the time of the year im not surprised its not sold in a week.....but im wondering how long i should expect seeing its winter here in WI

i am also considering listing it on Ebay....a IE just sold there for what id be happy taking...it had higher miles too....but then ive seen other IE's on Ebay selling low or not selling at all.....mine is crazy mint...

any advice?

if i sell on ebay how do you handle the $$???...i dont trust paypal for $35k

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. catsiiii

catsiiii Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    tried to sell my 2012 srt8.low low miles mint mint.dealer is giving me a good trade I cant even sell for what they are giving on trade.as far as pay pal I have bought and sold cars on ebay with no problems.instant payment.i think there will be lots of challengers used ones flooding the market as like me buying hellcat and cant keep both.i know in my area all listings for challengers are sitting after months on sale.not selling.so good luck on your car selling.im trading mine in with no regrets.paid $46.000 and trade value is $38.000.so after 3 years im out $8.000.i cant get $38.000 as I have tried.

3. RDLSRT

RDLSRT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Considering its an IE 2011 for $35k I think your going to need someone looking for that specific model. Right now you can pick up a 2014 Challenger from Dodge for 72 months at 0% financing if you qualify. At that price range you could pick up a new Challenger, of course it wont be an EI. I guess my point is it a tough market right know.

I will tell you this, I sold my Challenger 2013 RT through Craigslist and I did have someone try to scam me using PayPal. Do not take money via PayPal!

4. catsiiii

catsiiii Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    pay pal is fully protected.why not use it.i use it everyday and NEVER had a problem.the guy was a scammer not pay pal.

5. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I traded mine in the Hellcat deal. Got big bucks from the dealer and am saving some sales tax and the head ache of the sale. You should be able to do a bit better selling out right but the winter is not going to give you any help and it also sounds like a bunch of Challenger SRTs are going to be sold for Hellcats. So you have some competition. You will need better photos and better info to put out there to get you that buyer.
    I wish I could keep mine and get the Hellcat but I don't want a car loan. So I have to trade. At least the dealer would not take my old car until the new one comes in.

6. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    my car was $49,700 sticker in 2011......yea i know you could get a 392 RT right now for not much more than i want for my used IE....thats the issue i figure ill be dealing with.......ive had 41 people look at my autotrader ad w/o 1 real call....ive had 2 con men already contact me though....both offered to buy the car sight unseen for full price...

like i said i have added tons of quality photo's now...so the ad looks much better.....my trade in value is around $42k-43k....which after tax savings is decent too....if you can find a dealer willing to do it.......im hoping to sell myself and that way i can fly across the country if needed to get a Hellcat...if i trade in im limited to my area only.....+ its winter here, so i cant drive it until spring and id assume it will be -$1000 to -$2000 worse value by then....

7. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am a long-term ebay powerseller, and I have an ebay store (keycomics) from which I continuously buy & sell vintage comic-books for a living. I have sold individual comics for up to $25K, and usually when it's over $10K the buyers will be willing to pay via a wire transfer or bank check. Once a bank-to-bank transfer has concluded, you are golden. Paypal does have it's risks, and I'd certainly be apprehensive for a five figure deal, but I think usually on sums that large the buyers don't require you to accept payment via paypal. That being said, since I don't sell autos online, there may be different rules and protocol that ebay requires each seller adhere to, so you may want to create the listing and see if it prohibits you from mentioning that you require non-paypal payment after the auction closes (or buy it now with best offer, which prevents the need for a reserve) Best of luck!

8. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  9. RDLSRT

RDLSRT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I didn't say pay pal was doing the scamming, it was someone trying to use pay pal as the tool. I have used pay pal in the past with no problems. When selling your car, I would prefer something a little more old school, like a bank.

10. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the wire is the best way the banks charge to send and receive the money but its safe. There is some check fraud with money orders and checks right now so be careful

11. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  12. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Blue book is $35,999 but it doesnt account for the IE package that was $2000......white is the 2nd rarest color combo....i believe there were 530 white IE's made(570 blue ones)....pink i think was under 500 made(SRT8's)

when i look at the cars around mine on cars.com, etc i think mine is the best deal out there in that price range.........im not sure how popular white w/blue is??? i love it.....but it may not be for everyone.......im just surprised that after 51 people viewed my Ad on autotrader that no one has even called/emailed...i would have figured id get something after a week....

also not sure if anyone knows what the IE is.........i think its pretty special, but most people may not understand its a #'d car......and in the end what does a #'d car really even mean.....im hoping by adding the pics of the seats it will help sell the car....basically those seats are the IE package

13. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've bought and sold a few cars on Ebay, all over the US. Corvettes, Mustangs, Cudas, etc. You can state in the ad that you require a $xxxx deposit within 48 hours of the end of the auction and the remainder within x days (like 7-10). Just be very specific, state the number of hours for the deposit as well as the when the remainder has to be paid in full, plus I'd also make the comment that if they don't pay the remainder within the time specified, they will forfeit their deposit. Also state the methods of payment you will accept, maybe a cashiers check for the deposit and a wire transfer for the balance. Be very specific to CYA. State all the rules (and follow them) in your listing and Ebay will have your back. Keep all correspondence within the Ebay messaging app/thingy.

14. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    do people buy cars at this price level w/o seeing it? do they hire a local service to evaluate the car? or do most show up and drive it home?. i have a brother that has bought old stuff on ebay sight unseen and just took a chance....but it was for a $10k car

15. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    beautiful car! Why not include a picture of the engine? Even though it's stock, everyone likes looking at a HEMI! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1