SRT Hellcat Forum banner

What type of AFE CAI would you order

AFE cold air Intake filter choice pole!

10K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  upnorthstar 
#1 ·
There seems to be a lot of interest on the new AFE CAI. I thought it would be good to see what type of filter you would prefer.

So place your vote maybe this will expidite bringing this to market!

#3 ·
Manufacturer claims otherwise...

I'm interested in both, dry to start....then move to oiled if there are no MAF issues.

#12 ·
Seems to me that they are going to have a tough time producing better air flow than the stock. It's really a good setup. A few more CMF for a couple hundred bucks is not worth my time I'll put that to a new tire.

#18 · (Edited)
FACT: The oiled filter will make more power.
FACT: Dodge says specifically not to run an oiled filter.
FACT: Hellcat owners will run oiled filters, regardless.
FACT: I have had oiled filters in the past cause engine problems via fouled MAF sensors.
FACT: I will never run oiled filters again (on MAF vehicles).

#20 ·
FACT: The oiled filter will make more power.
FACT: Dodge says specifically not to run an oiled filter.
FACT: Hellcat owners will run oiled filters, regardless.
FACT: I have had oiled filters in the past cause engine problems via fouled MAF sensors.
FACT: I will never run oiled filters again.
Thanks for your input VP.

What vehicle had the MAF issue? What brand filter?

#26 ·
Do you have anything to back this up???

I've read countless threads and have personal experience using oiled filters...even on boosted applications. Anyone having an issue is most likely drenching their filter in oil. I've even soaked a filter on an NA application and didn't have an issue. I think it's funny how mis-information is thrown around and then adopted as fact. Especially from folks that don't even change their own oil. (Not saying this about you Redcat)

FCA recommends using a dry filter, for that reason I'll start with one.... Just because a manufacturer states not to do something, doesn't mean I follow blindly without asking questions or push the envelope.

To plagiarize from another forum to save me from typing on my phone:

"MAF Fouling.
Oiled Mass Air sensors is pretty much an urban myth. Check out the K&N website for the actual scientific testing they had done.
K N Mass Air Flow Sensor Test Results
A lot of dealers make a big deal about this because they've been scared into it by the warranty techs. Keep this in mind. A GM dealership has NO way to test a mass air flow sensor. The book tells them to put the MAF on a same year vehicle to see if it's bad. !!
Can it happen? Sure. From over oiling. If a cheap offshore filter has oil on the inside of the bag wrapping the filter than it's over oiled. Don't use it. The biggest culprit is the owner reoiling the filter after cleaning. Ever read the instructions before doing it? You oil a small area and let it wick thru the filter for 30 min. You DO NOT try to get the cotton all red in 30 seconds
Several manufacturers now list the amount of oil they put on their filters from the factory. It's done by a computerized sprayer. The amount averages 0.6 oz. Very little.

Current manufacturers of filter (vs re-packers) spent a lot of time and engineering to get the correct configuration to achieve the best Flow vs Filtration AND correct MAF air signal. Number of pleats per inch, pleat depth, all play apart in "straightening the air" as well as filtration. This is an area that very few kit builders (vs filter manf) spend any time. It's usually what fits in the space. IMO it's very important to know who's filter a kit has in it. Did they cut corners there?

There are lots of hype, myths and legends out there on the errornet. Also some facts. Do your research from multiple sources."

Majority of the F150 ecoboost owners that had an aftermarket CAI, used oiled filters....based on a thread I read last week

Not trying to convince anyone, your car...you do what you want.

If anyone has any concrete evidence on the contrary, I'm interested in getting the details.
On forced induction engines, yes, I have lots of experience. I used to build twin turbo systems for cars using MAFs and drove one on my personal car. I've had to clean more than my fair share of MAFs that were gunked up with oil. When the wire in the MAF gets coated with oil, it throws it's readings off that it sends to the ECU.

I think it will be good to see the dyno results between the dry and oiled filter to get an idea on differences.
I think the dyno results between air filters will be minimal...definitely not enough to feel in the seat-of-the-pants-ometer. Most are exaggerated stats to get the ricer drivers to buy them.

I've been running an oil air filter for years and never had an issue. If the filter is oiled correctly, and not over oiled, there will be no issues.
I was speaking strictly of forced induction, turbos or superchargers. NA motors just don't suck enough air to pull oil out of the filter unless they are some wild 14:1 race engine, then it might be an issue. For NA motors, oiled air filters are great. But they aren't even recommended on a Ford Powerstroke diesel, for the same reason, fouled MAF.

But this is all just my personal experience, do what you like. It's your car, your money, your choice...I was just trying to voice my experienced opinion in the hopes of helping users here. Take what you want from it. Some answers can't be found on Google. Some answers require years of busted knuckles and sweat.

#24 ·
I question the net benefit of an oiled filter when flow of new gen synthetic non oiled types is so close (delta miniscule) why take the chance or in my case deal with the hassle? (Never heard of MAF issues with non oiled right?)

#25 ·
Well spraying N20 will also make it run better doesn't mean we should all do it. I'm going to stick with the stock filter until some proven dyno numbers are out. I'm guessing another 4-6 months before we have that. Usually the first to market with CAI are not getting much over stock so they fudge the numbers to get the sales. Then months later they adjust their claims of how much HP you gain. Been there done that.

#27 ·
Thanks for the input Redcat, any more details on the turbo motors / set up? Specifically cubic inches and how much boost?

#28 ·
Stock to fully forged, so boost varied depending on application. Started with late model modular mustangs (Bullet, Mach 1 and Cobras sans supercharger). Twin Innovative ball bearing turbos, TiAL wastegates, all hand fabricated stainless headers, downpipes and cold air tubing, medical grade stainless mandrel bent tubing (no outer wall thinning), all TIG'd, custom built intercoolers (by Griffin and Turbonetics), custom built return-style fuel systems with fuel coolers and sumped tanks, tunes via SCT hardware and software. Next prototype up was a Black Mamba Viper for a guy in Germany that wanted 2000hp and a C5 Corvette. But I eventually ran out of money because I built all the prototypes for cost (which means no paycheck), I was a perfectionist and never managed to get an investor so I could go into production. I was just a regular guy, didn't have deep pockets, used my 401k to buy all of my tools and equipment and rent a shop.

#34 ·
Best test run 5 1/4's and then change housing STAT and run again

#35 · (Edited)
FACT !!! Let's have fun with this awesome platform Dodge gave us to play with ;)
I will run whatever makes more power!
I will put lighter wider wheels & tires on my car!
I will put a lighter stronger Driveshaft in my car!
I will replace the Tune, Intake, Throttle body, Exhaust, Pulleys etc.. if it make more power on my car!
I will do all the work myself and do whatever makes me happy Because it's my car!
BTW I did not buy the extended warranty :D

Reactions: BrightWhite392
#36 ·
Thanks for your input VP.
What vehicle had the MAF issue? What brand filter?
2001 LS1 Corvette, Donaldson A/F, 1998 Ford Expedition K&N, etc.

I have had other issues, and noticed an oily grime in throttlebodies after years of use on bikes, etc.
I will only use them on non MAF vehicles (like my current motorcycle).

#38 ·
And to restate, these filters were oiled from the factory; separate companies, all brand new filters causing brand new problems. And anyone who thinks if they are "not over oiled" this won't be a problem, I am here to tell you that the chance is very high your MAF hotwires will get covered in a thin layer of oil over time as oil molecules get sucked from the oiled filter, and they will stick to the wire-by the nature of it being an oiled filter.

It just may not cause a problem on the level you see or feel it-or you may think it is something else as the computer will try to compensate for the condition you are causing by running an oiled filter.

I believe that the reason Dodge says "no oiled filters" is because they have a history of oiled filters causing these problems (like I have a history of them).

And if you think you can just swap back to paper filter to mask your issues it will take a mech about 10 seconds of looking at the MAF hotwires to know why your car is running crappy.

I have said all I care to on the subject, as people still race without airfilters at all. I have too much mechanical empathy and care for my vehicles.

As always, and forever more, YMMV ;)

#39 ·
I know some of you are very passionate about the oiled filter so don't choose it. The company offers both oiled and Dry.

Lets see what the numbers show between the two and then people can decide.

Although my last challenger did not have a MAF I ran a Cold air intake oiled for my supercharged Challenger and there were gains going to a CAI.

From the looks at the CAD drawings and the prototype it seems that part of the gain is from the volume of the air box and size of the filter.

If they are even close to the numbers they have posted that will be a great gain for a simple add on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.