AFE Intake: Impressions and Dyno Results Thread

Discussion in 'aFe Power' started by Driver72, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thought it would be a good idea for those who are getting the AFE Intake this week to post up some impressions and results of their before and after dyno tests. I am a few weeks out on mine, so I can't contribute just yet, but will when I can.

Give us all your thoughts and any insights into the installation as well.
    The more the merrier. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    OK. Pictures attached install completed. A few observations.

• The rubber intake coupler is too short overall in length. AFE lengthen the air filter side 1/8" Otherwise it's very much a stretch to ensure all bands (both sides of the intake coupler) and air filter secure correct. This will also ensure the filter mates to the housing.
    • Overall the individual components and how robust they will be over time; I question (seriously.) The OEM air box is a complete unit and definitely has more structural integrity.
    • It will be far easier to replace and clean the filter in the OEM air box.
    • AFE you owe me a new rubber intake coupler. Your probably putting these together too fast (or maybe not.) But there is a crack around the port that you plug the CCV breather line into. Just in one spot, but I won't trust it. Send me a new one (and make it longer, air filter side, mentioned on 1st bullet.)
    • There are a few misses in install instructions. Wrong Torx size for MAF. Also on overall install (I don't have time now to document I will.)
    • AFE change the dam MAF screws to Torx or Allen or Phillips anything but regular.
    • More later on performance.
    AFE Intake Coupler.jpg
    AFE Installed.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So Charles in charge bro I should bring this to my dealership to let them figure it out?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is exactly the kind of feedback we need. Perhaps waiting until these kind of issues are resolved is better then the I want to be first mentality. aFe POWER

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks TC1 not good that it doesn't go together well and slot screws, really aFe POWER ? Glad I didn't buy one yet, they might be rushing too much to get the product out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I might let my #72 slip to the right while they correct these short coming.

7. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    TC1,
    Great review so far, vendors need feed back, lets see how aFe makes those adjustments rather than just ship product that needs changes.
    TC

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Glad I waited as well...hopefully the correct changes will be made. I'll be waiting to see if the proper updates are made. I just asked them to be on the list, so I am glad I am as far down as I am LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Paladin06

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If no changes before my estimated delivery, I'm going to request I hold until corrections are made. I think all buyers should be concerned about this.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is the exact reason I waited a bit to get on the group buy list. I am currently #140.
    But I'll need to see and hear that these fitment and production issues are corrected before I get mine sent out and paid for in full.
    That coupler does look like it's not made too well, almost like it's wrapped in electrical tape or something.

I really hope that is just a fluke in the picture, because I really do want this intake to be worth it and be a great product.
    I am cheering for Josh and AFE in that regard, but the truth is, that's not enough, it needs to be right, fit right, and be of good to great quality as well.

Please Josh, chime in here to let us know that these fixes will take place immediately before anymore are shipped.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. LForst

LForst Driver of Badassery

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just received mine today , leaving work early to do install

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    cool, i know hungdaknees did his already and it works great. cant wait to see how mine does tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Be sure to post in this thread your experiences.
    Pictures are always very helpful too.
    Thanks guys

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. aFe POWER

aFe POWER Gold Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    TallCool1 I've sent your notes to my engineers, thanks for taking the time to download your thoughts, I'm looking forward to reviewing them with the team.

Some notes:

The filter to housing design is actually one unique to aFe, it's patented in fact. It seals very well and does not take any force to seal, the clamp is there to prevent movement, untraditional to other designs where the clamp is creating the seal. As far as the coupler being too short, I'll let me engineers weigh in there.

Having a cracked coupler, zero excuse there, I'll work on getting you a replacement ASAP. Very unlike us, everything is checked and rechecked, but like anyone things can slip by, and I can tell you anyone that touches any part of this kit will be shown and the situation discussed.

The instructions are being updated to reflect the correct torx size, that was mentioned before, we'll get that corrected.

As far as cleaning the filter, if the entire install is taking folks 20 minutes, even half that to get the filter loose every 35-50,000 miles shouldn't be a burden on anyone. You even have a second filter to take your time cleaning the first.

The comments on how robust versus OEM, we have hundreds of applications utilizing the Momentum roto-molded intakes, the wall thickness is measured for every part before shipping, and has proven to be extremely reliable. We also carry a warranty, we're not going anywhere.

Looking forward to additional install thoughts..

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nothing was a show stopper in terms of performance, I wouldn't let my experience be what you make your determination on exclusively.

For example on the rubber intake coupler, maybe my install (car) or the AFE parts tolerances made things just a tad too short. You can see I did get it in, just in my case where the filter mates to the box, it's not 100% tight (but is very close.) (But I am anal extreme.)

• On install, don't try to line the air box anchor hole to center to car attach point before you tighten it town, you can see in the pics mine isn't. I did try that but not letting the air box sit back off center, that caused gaps between the filter and box, no matter what I did. And the air box nub that sits down into the fender well rubber bushing won't be right if you do. Caveat that was my experience.
    • Disconnect the pressure sensor wiring from the CCV coupler. Disconnect the CCV line. That will allow you to more easily insert that whole assy into the rubber coupler, then re-attach the hose and pressure sensor wires.
    • I would like to see the seal strip permanently attached to the air box bottom. Watch it if you move the box to get things lined up, because it can easily un-attach at places. Or maybe deeper grooves on the seams so it stays on better. It did appear everything felt really oily. On that last point, I would clean things thoroughly (I didn't wish I had.)

• Useful Useful x 1