AFE Momentum Intake Install with pics

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by CDNHellcat, Jul 14, 2015.

1. CDNHellcat

CDNHellcat Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ok just picked up my new AFE CAI. Stay tuned for install pics and first impressions!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Subscribed

3. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Following.

4. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Waiting....

5. stephenlocke

stephenlocke Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Must be that good :)

6. CDNHellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, I'm iut driving around but lawfully pulled over to text lol, anyways it sounds a bit louder and with my iPhone decibel meter it was 3 difference at idle. As for feel not sure personally I think it will be hard to tell. My A/F is .2 difference but it needs time to adjust.

Total install with being picky was 40 minutes. There are a few things I did different to make the install easier also a few things were missing from the instructions.

Tools needed are
    Slotted screw driver
    T20 or T15 torx driver for the MAF screws.
    8mm and 10 mm socket.

I will post pict when I get back.

A/F has already adjusted nice!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  7. CDNHellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What are your thoughts of the fit and finish? Coupler length long enough?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CDNHellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Overall very well I do have to agree about the other write up. The silicone tube that fits between the throttle body and the AFE intake tube is 1/4" too short and should be longer on the Filter side. It took me awhile to make it work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CDNHellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What you get
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As you can see the AFE box is much larger in volume, what the equates too in performance we will see.
    [​IMG]

Ok for the install

#1 Stock air box removal, 8mm socket and a slotted screw driver for the clamp. The instructions said to remove it as one piece after removing the clamp and the rad support bolt. I didn't like that so I took off the cover and filt and then removed the rest of it.
    [​IMG]
    The rubber/metal grommet that holds the air box to the rad support, make sure you remove it to add to the AFE unit
    [​IMG]

Close up of grommet
    [​IMG]
    Grommet in AFE air box
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    To remove the MAF sensor a 20 Torx or a 15 will work if in a bind and then the connector.
    [​IMG]

Make sure when re-installing the MAF sensor to ensure the blue sensor you see if facing towards the filter.
    [​IMG]
    Now if this rubber grommet it not in the hole, then take it off the factory air box and put it back in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Of note the new AFE duct measures 98mm

You have to re-use the oem duct from the headlight to the air box. I did assemble it however to make sure it was in correctly and make my life simple I removed the cover as seen below
    [​IMG]
    Now this silicone tube connecting the throttle body to the AFE plastic tube was very problematic and I wasted about 10 minutes fiddling around to find the best compromise. The fact is this part could be .25 or 1/4" longer on the filter side. The install would go way better and have an overall better fit. Just remember this is a brand new system they did and I'm sure they will adjust this and it is not the end of the world.
    [​IMG]

As for the filter I decided to go with the oiled one and just remember opinions are like ass***** everyone has one. I have used oiled filters on cars for many years with MAF sensors without issue. I looked at this one and even tried with air flow to get some oil on the cloth to no avail, so you decide.

Video of no oil on filter

Finished Setup
    [​IMG]

Video of car running

The car feels more crisp but that could be my imagination. Under WOT it is louder and I can hear the supercharger wine more.

For AFE I would strongly suggest reviewing your silicone hose length as it is a bit of a pain. I also agree a slotted screw be it stainless is not very nice. I checked and you could have gone with an Allen head cap screw in stainless with the same size that would have looked nicer and a better look and finish.

Band clamps were nice and the metal reinforcing ring to prevent over tightening is a nice touch.

Overall I'm very happy with the setup and the concerns are minor. What I also forgot to mention is that they also provided a second box that had a ball cap, t-shirt and an air filter re-charge kit.

Driving so far has been great. I'm not planning to run to the dyno for $200 bucks to see how much extra power it made, I will leave that to the next guy. So I hope this helps with your install!

Enjoy the ride!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 9
    • Like Like x 4
  11. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your box seems canted forward. You can tell based on how center the anchor bolt is. In that position the dimple on the bottom of the box doesn't stay in the grommet in the fender well. You might wiggle the back of the box or root around to know. Loosen the anchor, press the box back, it settles into the grommet, then the anchor bolt is offset forward and not center. Give that a try. I've seen 3 installs so far that are that way mines one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    See this example pic, not my install but my pic same. The anchor bolt is offset forward not center. Hope this helps...

(Oh thumbs up+++ on install detail...)

AFE Intake Impressions and Dyno Results Thread Page 3 SRT Hellcat Forum

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  13. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice write up and video. I'd recommend driving the airfilter for a week, romping on it a lot and then checking the inside of the piping and the leading edges of the MAF and do the finger/towel test and report back..

Once the airbox heats up to over 160+ degrees, it may pass oil particulate as the engine sucks room fulls of air and buckets get pushed in through the headlight.

And I would not even know how to clean that MAF, it is way different from the old MAFs I am familiar with setup which subsequently was easier to clean.

As far as "opinions," regarding oiled filters mine is not one of them. It is fact-not guess work or circumstance and was with two types of filters oiled from the factory, three different vehicles. Now whether this becomes an issue now, or 10,000 miles down the road, or it is one and you never notice it, or it never ever happens-all of that is "whatever."

I am not trying to be antagonistic, but anything that flows more air usually filters less too. The non-oiled airfilter supplied stops more particulate due to it making a lot less HP than the oiled filter.

The manual says specifically no oiled filters-the first I have ever seen in a factory manual, and I have had problems with oiled filters and MAFs, so I will continue with no oiled filters.

Sorry for the "rant" as these are your cars, do what you will but just understand their may be risks involved for you, or whoever you sell your car to in the long run (if that is a concern).

As always, YMMV ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the write up CDN HC!

I was going to wait and do a base line dyno, then add the CAI but I don't know if I have that kind of patience.... The aFe unit will probably be installed this weekend.

15. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    29 HP ? we'll see, wasn't it supposed to be 37 ?