Aftermarket Stereo System

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Electronics' started by Salessurvivor, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Salessurvivor

Salessurvivor Rookie Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Has anyone replaced their speakers/amp etc with aftermarket products? I know about all the HK issues and the updates and flash, but even with those done, it still doesn't sound the way I want it. I was thinking of speaker upgrades and amp. I like my music loud and deep and clean, and I've never heard a "factory" system perform like an upgraded one does.

• Like Like x 1
  2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You should ask carnage, he has changed out speakers on his hellcat,, May want to drop him a line

3. Mr.Jason

Mr.Jason Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    This is why I did not buy the HK system. Contrary to public opinion it's a cheap system, the BOSE in my Infiniti EX37 puts it to shame...

Here is your answer: This is the sound system in my 14 CHY SRT.... and what will be installed in my Charger HellCat...

First - you WILL NEED the Audisson sound processor Bit-1 without it you will not be able to keep all the factory audio / steering wheel features cost-$4-500.00. It's a 31 band sound processor incredible unit as you can change all kinds of settings with your lap top, however once it's set good I don't mess with mine. This is wired in BEHIND the factory amp, plug & Play with the correct connectors. Amazing piece of equipment and a miracle design to retain everything factory perfect works flawlessly in my CHY 300 had it over 1 year.

Second- Power amp I have is the JL-audio 9000 5 channel cost $750-900 this and the Audisson are mounted in the spare tire area next to the battery easy to install all power connectors next to the battery.

The Good: The amp packs a punch and is very clean power high end quality 125W X 4 Channels & 300W for the sub.
    The Bad: Amp runs hot, and if you push it during the summer it can get super hot so I have to keep the trunk deck lifted up with the strap for air circulation during hot summer months. If you want 2 10's subs get a separate sub amp as this will ease the power requirement from the 5 channel amp which is good for 1 10/12' sub or 2 smaller 8'' like i have.

Third Speakers: I have Focal 2 Way Flax Material Fronts & Focal 2 Way in the back deck with 2 JL 8 inch subs custom mounted where the center arm rest is located (back seat) real beautiful install (I'll try to take pics) and show how this turned out.

The Good: The sound stage is #@%$#@ incredible and powerful, finest car system I have ever owned, I have had many...
    The Bad/ Good? This system will exploit all the crappy weakness in most of my old CD's as the processor has 31 bands and the Focal Speakers are so superior you can hear how good/bad the sound engineer was when the CD was recorded, so some CD's sound fantastic others disappointing even with this high quality equipment so be prepared for that...

Also the center arm rest was removed on 2016 Hell Cat Chargers so the trunk has to have the Subs, I'm pissed about that.

Also I had this professionally installed, unless you are damn good so should you, this is an involved install and the Audisson needs to be properly calibrated to your speakers and sound stage.

Cost Equipment @ $2,200 ( Same as factory HK system) and 10 times the quality!
    Labor/parts etc @ $1,500

Conclusion: Worth every penny, and have it installed professionally with 1-year warranty. The sound stage is stunning and even Sirius XM sounds good and full of base and sound and best part your factory components remain untouched and work flawless as if it was installed at the factory. You paid 70K for the car don't skimp & cut corners do it right & do it with quality!

There you have it!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for your report. Pix would be greatly appreciated!
    Looking to upgrade my charger soon and those are also my choice of components (focal and audisson).
    Enjoy!

5. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All of the modules in the car communicate like a bus route. If there is a interruption in the line it can throw a code (dtc). Plug and play is good, I wouldn't want anyone hacking wires that belong where they do.
    I can't tell you how many wiring repairs we have done fixing am remote starter or stereo and speaker install. My advice is to just be careful

6. Doc Fluty

Doc Fluty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    LIke Mr Jason said, its not so easy to just replace all of this stuff to get a good system involved. Your criteria of "loud, clean and deep" is what everyone really wants.

But just like horsepower where you have to choose 2 between cheap, reliable and fast... you also have to choose when it comes to audio.

Are you willing to put the speakers where they sound the best and custom build stuff like i did, or do you want to go cheaper and just stick them in the dash location spot?

This is what I have... and like Jason said, it all starts with an Audison. I have Focal 3 way KRX3s and a Focal 33kx sub powered by Focal amps. Hopefully my trunk will be done this week... You just got to decide how "loud, clean and deep" you want it to go.

Here is the link to my build on this site

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  7. BrakeFade

BrakeFade Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    That looks really well done.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mixiao

mixiao Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So your Audison bit one is wired after the factory amp? You are not bypassing it?

9. Doc Fluty

Doc Fluty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Didn't bypass mine when I put in the audison.

10. mixiao

mixiao Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks.

11. Yoshi5674

Yoshi5674 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Anyone know the mounting depth in the door? I'm looking at the Focal PS 165 FX and it's close to 4" deep.

12. felineferocity

felineferocity Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    where did you get the plug and play adapter for the bit-1? i had the new JL fix-82 in my 16 scat pac and it worked well. i hated having to tap the wires though. woud love to avoid that in my new system

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. -rooster-

-rooster- Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Bumping this thread, as the two questions at the end that went unanswered are of particular interest to me.

14. Doc Fluty

Doc Fluty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I don't know the exact mounting depth but my Focal 165 krx3 3-way woofer is more robust thn the 165 FX and they fit fine.

There is no plug and play adapter for the audison. You run wires from your factory speaker wires straight to its 8 channel inputs.

• Like Like x 1
  15. digdug33071

digdug33071 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have that same JL Audio amp in the boat (except the marine version). It really rocks! Clean and pure sound.