Air Flow Filter Independent Tests

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by goingsolo2, May 2, 2015.

1. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just went outside and did some testing on the two filters. I used my fiancés blow dryer, inserting it directly into the intake hole in the front light bezel. I placed a flat piece of paper on top of each filter in there and turned the hair dryer on the same setting. The paper lift was very close on the two filters, but the stock Hellcat filter seems to flow a bit more, as the lift was about 1/4" higher. I am not saying aFe's filter is not a good product, but that particular filter did not flow better with my test. It might flow better when driving openly on the road. The aFe filter is a quality made product, but I'd like to see some numbers straight from aFe comparing flow rates. If you pout your hand behind each, you can also feel that the OEM filter is letting more air through. I tested it with a blower as well, that I use to dry my car, and the results were the same…a little more lift for the OEM filter. You can see my video above.

I also just tested on a tabletop, as in the video above and the stock filter was blown off and the aFe did not move…see video below.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A start to an interesting discussion regarding air flow through filters for the Hellcat. If others could post a similar comparison of other filters on the market that they have in hand (e.g. GreenUSA, K&N, etc) that would be helpful for the discussion.

AEM 28-20460 vs Stock 392 SRT Filter 04861746AA

AFE 31-10220 (dry S) vs Stock Hellcat SRT Filter 68172459AA

3. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just went outside and did some testing on the two filters. I used my fiancés blow dryer, inserting it directly into the intake hole in the front light bezel. I placed a flat piece of paper on top of each filter in there and turned the hair dryer on the same setting. The paper lift was very close on the two filters, but the stock Hellcat filter seems to flow a bit more, as the lift was about 1/4" higher. I am not saying aFe's filter is not a good product, but that particular filter did not flow better with my test. It might flow better when driving openly on the road. The aFe filter is a quality made product, but I'd like to see some numbers straight from aFe comparing flow rates. If you pout your hand behind each, you can also feel that the OEM filter is letting more air through. I tested it with a blower as well, that I use to dry my car, and the results were the same…a little more lift for the OEM filter. You can see my video above. Thanks rayzazoo!

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  4. EverythingSRT

EverythingSRT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Interesting! It even sounds like it flows less restrictive through the stock filter

5. LForst

LForst Driver of Badassery

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    GS I noticed the stock one tilted a little right as the media lifted can you do test again with afe tilting it slightly

6. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Nice test, can't wait for you fiance to ask why the blow dryer smells funny:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks ray. When you send the AEM back are you going to get a Green filter?

8. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's hard to beat an OE paper filter. It's a good compromise of flow and filtering. I never understood why so many people run to the aftermarket filters based on some marketing mumbo jumbo LOL.

At least dyno your own car before and after in the same session. And even then if there is more power what's the guarantee it filters as least as good. No reasonable way for the average person to actually measure that. Stock filer is fine for me!

9. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    AEM has been returned, and the AFE is going back to Amazon. Stock for me too

10. rayzazoo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The videos above are from other users. I've had an AEM for my 2012 since 2013, however, have recently been using the stock filter.

11. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah but the video you posted showing the rpm rate at WOT says to me NOT to run the stock filter and I'll be using the Green filter.

12. rayzazoo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree, I believe the K&N and Green Filter will flow better than the stock.

13. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wish the companies would just post flow rates compared to stock in CFM…I don' know whether or not to use the aFe or OEM. I don't have a way to test how they flow during actual driving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I actually did it again immediately after in the video because it slipped out of my hand and tilted…the second time, it is straight. Same result.

• Like Like x 1
  15. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm going to keep the aFe one for now in my storage until I hear back from them with some flow numbers. I called this morning and emailed one of their engineers.