All season Pirelli's wont balance

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Aarcuda, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have had a persistent imbalance in my stock pirelli all seasons since I picked the cart up in June.

On the drive home i noticed as I got going faster that there seemed to be a balance issue - I could feel the shake in the car and steering wheel. Over 80mph and it was bad. very bad.

I took it back to dodge and they balanced all four tires but it didnt help. I brought it back and they rebalanced them. It still shook.

they didnt have a road force balance machine so I went to the chevy dealer next door to have them try.

they came back and said one tire on the front passenger side was out of spec and he couldnt get it in spec even after rotating the tire on the rim. He said he measured 43lbs imbalance on the Hunter Road Force machine. After rotating the tire on the rim it came down to 30lbs but thats still out of spec. Spec in less than 20lb

I managed to get the dodge dealer to get the tire warrantied through pirelli but this damn replacement tire wouldnt balance any better than 34lbs. He checked the rim runout and it was almost perfect at .003 runout.

So I tried something else, I took one of the rear tires that I removed when I put the drag radials on and mounted that on the front. guess what? it would not balance either. It measured 30lbs.

I am starting to think its the rim. But dodge is sick of me complaining. They were kind of stuck with the first tire. tires arent warrantied under the Mopar warranty but they are through Pirelli. But three tires??? I obviously need to get this fixed as its real crappy to drive with the imbalance.

Any ideas? I am about to have them check the front drives side and if thats good, swap it to the passenger side rim and see what happens. if it balances then it isnt the rim. if it doesnt it has to be the rim

whatcha think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FarAwayFromHere

FarAwayFromHere Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Be relentless until it is to your satisfaction!
    Escalate to mgmt. if you get the runaround,someone should go to bat for ya
    In mgmt!

3. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This concerns me because I have a set of the all-seasons I will install in a week or so. The summer tires/wheels I have from the factory seem perfect at this point.
    Sounds like they need to get you a new set of wheels/tires and start clean.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My car delivered with the summer tires, after the first couple days, I had a wobble in my wheel at 70mph+.

Swapped out to the All seasons two weeks ago, perfectly balanced, no wobble at all.

I have no explanation for you, but that's my experience.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Cglhawk260

Cglhawk260 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have the stock pirelli tires and between 70-80 they vibrate. I need to have this issue addressed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Johnny Popcorn

Johnny Popcorn Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's the rim. Same thing happened to me with a set of aftermarket rims. The rim was replaced and all was good. You've done your homework, and eliminated the tires as the cause. It's the rim.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You know I actually think must be the rim too. When I first got all 4 tires road force balanced the tech was able to get 3 tires in spec and only the front passenger wheel was out of spec. And then later after I put the drag radios on I had those two extra tires for the back that had previously been Balanced just fine. But now when I take one of those back tires and put it on that front passenger rim the tech tells me once again that the tire is out of spec.

How can it be out of spec now when it its on the front when it wasn't before when it was on the rear??? It must be the rim.

But my problem here is that the dodge dealer doesn't have a road force balance machine. The Chevy dealer next-door has the machine. Dodges balance machine says the balance is just fine.

I think I need one more test. Verify the front drivers side tire is balanced fine. Then swap that tire to the passenger rim and try again. That will be the proof that it's either the tires or the rim.

How can I get Dodge To pay for the swap and balancing. I'm into this for almost $200 out of my pocket paying the Chevy dealer.

8. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

This isn't The Fast & The Furious, we call them "wheels".

Secondly, it might just be that he threw a balance weight. As I mentioned in my post, I had the same shake & wobble at 70mph+, but when I bought new tires (same wheels) and they were balanced, my shake is completely eliminated.

9. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know of a guy who had them replaced from the dealer 3 times. There must have been a bad run of those tires. He got a different lot and now his car is fixed. I feel bad for him since the tires were on and off the rims 3 times now. They will warranty it if you make the right contacts

10. themarshall

themarshall Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yo Aarcuda, there is a place in Bath PA. that does magic with aulm. wheels most from the round-d-round boys. How far are you from that area. I can get more info. if it's not to far.

11. nocarbutmopar

nocarbutmopar Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I've seen this before keep at them

12. Hemilover

Hemilover Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have had the same problem. Mostly when cold. Picked mine up in June too. Dealer rebalanced and it improved but still there. Added air to 36lbs and it helped some. Dealer said they had some problems with the balancer machine. Not major but shouldn't be there at all!

13. Tantaus

Tantaus Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    A couple of other factors can come into play when trying to get a perfect balance. If the rim isn't mounted 100% secure to the balancer spindle during a road force spin (i.e., properly clamped), the force applied by the roller can be strong enough to cause the rim to axially offset slightly on the centering cone, which the balancer will interpret as a high road force reading. A good shop will spin the tire a couple of times and confirm that they get substantially the same road force measure each spin. If the shop is using the wrong size centering cone for mounting the wheel to the balancer spindle, this could be another source of the problem.

- Mark

14. Orlandom

Orlandom Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Demand a new rim. If the new rim doesn't resolve the problem, give it back to them. It may be time to talk to SRT as well.

I would try a Discount Tire Co also. If you have one near you. Just to see if someone who only does tires can get it smooth.

I have the all seasons and fully expected to have them Rebalanced when I took delivery. That was not the case, they are smooth as butter. The handling quite impressive as well.

15. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I drop the car off tonight for them to try and fix it. they know the history. they have copies of my receipts. Lets see what they do. I hate having to give them my cat for a few days. I should check to see if Im entitled to a rental car with the mopar extended warranty.