All-Season tire question ...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Steppenwolf, May 29, 2016.

1. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf VIP Hellcat Member

Running hard ... in the Wasteland of my Mind.
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Tried searching this question but didn't find any clear thread on it, ....

... so maybe it's a dumb question from the new guy (who's definitely not a tire guy), but for purely high-speed street & highway use, not strip racing, what upgrades are recommended on an all-season tire? I've read a lot of threads covering what guys recommend for racing/strip use as an upgrade over the stock Pirelli summers, like the various DRs, but not much discussing all-seasons.

My Cat will have the P-Zero summer tires on the black alum 20x9.5" wheels. But if I wanted to switch to 4 all-seasons tires on the stock wheels, what's out there that's better than the AS Pirelli's I could have ordered from the dealer?

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  2. Mike Lannom

Mike Lannom Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've found the factory all season tires to be a very good tire. If you're on the street you'd have to be doing some serious screwing around to go past the limits of the tire. The only time you'll see much problem at all is from a stop and that's not as bad as you'd think if you launch correctly. Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are a lot of variables that come with our cars when it comes to tires.
    Several members are very familiar with tires here and will be seeing this thread. Tire God is a very good source of information.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jettster

Jettster Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Personally for an all season I like the Michelin A/S 3 -they now have a plus version available also- with 2 caveats. 1. not available in our size-255/45/20 or 295/35/20 are closest matches. The 255 would be my choice as if you do touch rain or snow the narrower footprint will have less chance to float or hydroplane. 2. They don't have the extra load and over 186 speed rating parenthesis (106y). I just purchased the factory Pirelli all season for winter swap out from a fellow member here. The summer tires are great right now but useless much below 50 degrees-and can even crack in sub freezing temps.

5. Tire God 2.0

Tire God 2.0 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Unfortunately the Michelin A/S 3 plus is not built in your tire size. But some other good choices are.
    1: Continental control contact sport a/s (DT exclusive), or the extreme contact DWS 06.
    2: BFG GeForce sport comp 2 A/S
    3: Pirelli Pzero A/S plus (new tire)
    4: General Gmax AS03
    5: Nitto Motivo

6. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am currently running Continental DWS06 275-40-20 XL(51psi max) 106Y for my winter setup. It is up to a 186mph tire. Plus running 186mph on ice or snow is NOT recommended.LOL-LOL :oops: And I also have Continental Extreme DW 275-40-20 XL(51psi max) 106Y for my summer setup on my OEM wheels.:) Read the reviews on ANY tire b-4 you buy. Most people will give you an honest review of personal experience with their brands. :cool: As to Pirelli's, I have a extreme dislike for them. Especially when you have to send back 3-4 sets of them for very high road force balance problems (38-43 lb.'s of RF) and 1 additional tire with belting issues! Even Tire Rack's MAX out of tolerance RF is 26lb.s out for ANY tire! And per Continental's max RF tolerance is 20lb.'s for a tire! If Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 275-40-20 were available? It would be a very easy decision for summer tires! Never have I had any Michelin be more than 10lb.'s out! And 1 Michelin PSS that was ONLY 1 lb. out! Truly Amazing! :cool:

Old School is usually the BEST School! Summer tires in the SUMMER and Winter tires in the WINTER. The all-season tires are really NO season at all! :(

Now IF one wishes to go the x-tra ca-ching? Approx. $3800 with Michelin PSS 295-35-20 XL (105Y) 186+ tire with MRR FS01 20x10 x20mm off-set all around is my next plan for summer tires. :D

7. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hope you realize that radial force variation is not only dependant upon the tire right? It could be the wheel, or the wheel and tire combo that don't match well. There are no tires or wheels that are perfectly round. To say that it's a brand specific problem is not accurate.
    F1 cars use Pirelli. :cool:

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  8. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Correct! NO tire is perfectly round, but It was for me and three other unrelated - reputable tire dealers that worked with me on their (Pirelli's) problems!!! :(

When Pirelli gets there MFG's issued solved??? :eek: Is when they hopefully will produce a quality tire! o_O 38 to 43 lb.'s of Road force issues were more than ENOUGH issues for me! :mad:

9. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did they measure it and then just replace them?

10. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What I'm getting at is that the shops that have these balancers don't understand how to use them to fix problems. I had a car last week that had two tires at 45-48lbs. When it left all 4 tires were between 5-8lbs. Just because they measure high, doesn't mean they are defective. It means they were not match mounted properly when first installed and that's the cause of the vibration. It's almost always the wheels fault as much as it is the tires.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    NOPE! Went through numerous try's at rotations and checking and REBALANCING! Then and ONLY then sending back each set! This EFFORT was for each tire and the wheels were totally proved out b-4 mounting and balancing! Wheels were RE-Checked each time and are 3 to 4 thousands out radially and 5-6 thousands out laterally. Nothing is perfect, but I would call them so! My Continentals were 8 and 10lb's out and balanced out perfectly! Testing to 110mph proved so!

And there was approx. 30+ hours of time invested in proving out tires and wheels! :mad:

12. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My VP brought in his wifes Tahoe a while back with vibration problems. 22" Dub wheels 285/45-22 pirelli scorpion Verde A/s. All 4 tires measured between 21-29lbs. When it left they were all 13 or less(which is within limits for an SUV).

Every now and then there might be 1 tire from a set that can't be force matched due to the first and second order harmonics being close to the same value. But multiple sets of tires? No way. The "reputable" shops didn't want to spend the time fixing it, they would rather sell tires. Or they just straight up don't know how to do a road force balance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Also, in rare cases you can use match codes to fix it. The rim runout is good. I like to see anything .005" or less.

14. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Three(3) totally unrelated shops saying the exact same thing!! I don't think so! Anyways "NEVER" with ANY Pirelli tire -- again!! Also read other's reviews about the PZero-Nero and PZero's! This many consumers can not be all smoking crack???

15. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I promise I do this almost daily. Hundreds of sets. I've seen it all, and have had to fix so many issues nobody else was able to fix. I've never seen multiple sets of tires be bad. Shipping damage? o_O

• Agree Agree x 1