allocation screw up

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Ohiotj, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have been looking at dealers who have new hellcats sitting on their lots. I have seen their invoices and many had no ones names listed on them. I have seen dealers put down fake customer names when they place an order for a car. This way they get priority over inventory cars. But this is chrysler strictly giveing certain dealerships cars for inventory while sold cars are sitting there in the order banks. I have never seen this before. You can't blame chrysler if the dealers were lying to get a car for inventory but they are basically saying here is a car, hope you sell it quick. I don't blame the dealers for marking them up as chrysler is fostering this environment.

2. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't believe dealers have to put a customer name down to order... from what ive seen they can do anything they want with their allocations.. sell to first one thru the door last summer, Auction it off.. or keep it roped off on display.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You are correct, they don't have to put a name down to order a car in most cases. However to build a hellcat, at least with my dealer it would pop up saying this car is available for sold orders only. That means they had to put a name down even if it is a fake customer. To give some dealers multiple allocations with no names on them is bs. Why would dodge want to build a car for inventory when there is a customer waiting for theirs? I understand they are trying to reward dealers who sold a lot of challengers relative to other dealers, but not to the point of making sold orders wait. I never seen this with any other rollout for their other cars. When the 4 door rubicon came out all dealers got allocation but they had to have a name associated with it as far as I remember.

4. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "this car is available for sold orders only."

to me that reads "you have no allocations and can only enter open sale sold orders into system"

I agree, I had 10k down since Aug 4th.. VON since 9/9 that's still untouched when I found my cat sitting on a lot... the whole allocation process pisses me off

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That very well could be. If the dealer doesn't have open allocation that might be a default message. I have ordered a lot of cars for customers but never really correlated that message to available allocation. Still doesn't explain why chrysler has done this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My dealer gets extra allocations once they get them "off the books" and delivered. He told me it does no good to look at them in the showroom.

7. CivilEngineer42

CivilEngineer42 Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The allocation process works. Those Dealers that have them on the lot or books which ever you prefer. They don't get any more cars. Chrysler is doing what they said they would do. I know for a fact that my dealer has three stores, two of them got the Cats off the books, one kept the car and it has been on the floor for 6 weeks. No more cars for them. While the other stores got there's off the books and got more. And I know some smaller dealerships have started to get them 1 at a time.

8. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know Midway Dodge in Post Falls put the dealership owner's name down for all thier allocations.

9. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If these dealers had ordered them as "sold" cars I can understand that. Chrysler could say "hey they told us John doe was going to buy it." But these cars are being sent to the dealers with no customer names on them. That's not right in my mind. Why give dealer abc five cars and only have three honest order and then tell xyz your real deals are going to have to wait.
    And I certainly don't know all the inner workings with this. I am just doing a locate and looking at the POC for cars either in stock or in transit. But there are quite a few with no customer names on them.

10. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is just "Capitalism" and "Free Market Economics" in action. The Hellcat is a sizzling hot commodity right now. Dealerships will do whatever they can get away with to get a piece of the action either with a current sale and the hope of a "bonus" (AKA "Market Adjustment) or to keep interest high to promote foot traffic to the dealership in hopes that a customer will "buy into the dream" of getting something that's almost impossible to get right now or hope that the customer will settle for something "almost as good" and either buy something from the lot or order an alternative. It's just another tool to use to foster what they are in business for; to sell goods and services in order to make money! They know that there is no shortage of "suckers" (P.T. Barnum) willing to chase the dream and even pay more than the product is really worth. FC (and all other car companies) winks and nods because they are also interested in selling goods and services and making money. It's the "Merkin" way! (I wonder how long it will take for someone to look up the definition of "merkin"?). "And the Big Wheel keeps on turnin'!"

11. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    it'll all be fixed if Tesla wins their battles about direct sales and other companies follow suit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is my experince with marketing. You can pretty easily measure your successful marketing campaigns by polling your customers who bought your product. The hard part is finding where you failed in marketing. I am not talking about challenger vs mustang vs camaro. I am talking buying a hellcat vs a boat or swimming pool or a vacation. You can't just go out and find someone who was thinking about a hellcat but went with a fancy fountain in front of their house instead.
    By allocating resources to your proven market area the company is ignoring a market where they are currently absent. Short terms sales will be up but then you are right back to where you started after the frenzy is over. Somewhere is a guy with a fountain in his yard who never got to see, hear, feel, a hellcat.
    Point is chrysler should be shotgunning these things everywhere and not using a rifle to pinpoint sales. Capitalize on this hype and get people outside their core demographics into a chrysler car. Oh ya and build my dang car.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. gabe

gabe Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dodge rewards the dealers with allocations that are allowed to go for 15 or 20 thousand dollars over msrp and sold orders sit.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. LForst

LForst Driver of Badassery

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You are absolutely correct , I was so frustrated that I almost jumped ship and bought a ZL1 , I was so pissed at the markup bullshit then I found my baby in AZ , I still have my order at a local dealer but not sure I'll hear from them anytime soon .
    I'm 4 days away from picking up vudoo baby so the bad taste is almost gone , come on dodge get it together you almost lost me !

15. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I paid over msrp for mine, instant gratification is priceless. After reading about all the shenanigans and delays theres not a doubt in my mind it was worth it. Honestly I don't believe Chrysler was prepared for the overwhelmingly positive response. To you guys still waiting, all I can do is reassure you that all will be forgiven when you take delivery. It's every bit worth the wait.

• Like Like x 2