Alpine vs. HK update

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by GoodCaptain, May 6, 2016.

1. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Well....I've got the Alpine system broken in and a few days ago I got to compare it directly to the 2016 HK system in a Charger Hellcat.

As I stated before, I ordered my Cat with the base system, but this was my first chance to really compare back-to-back with the same music.

The reality is that they sound MOSTLY the same. Much of the HK and Alpine bass comes from the doors, while the HK system gets some help from the weak sub in the rear shelf. That sub creates some very tubby bass at best. The Alpine system is a bit less bright and somewhat more continuous, but it's less of a difference than I first heard. I still find that the Alpine system has an edge, but what these systems need is a real subwoofer.

So I went to Auto Sports in the Bronx and they will add a JL audio subwoofer in the trunk with a Hifonics amp (1200 watts) and a dedicated control under the dash. The whole job will cost 595.00 and I'll have tight proper bass down to 30-35 HZ.

I'll post pics of the install along with the results. The shop is also tinting out my side-markers and doing a few other little under-hood treats. I leave those as a surprise!

Now if it would only stop raining.

Robert

• Like Like x 2
  2. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Look forward to seeing some pics and getting your post mod feedback. Good luck!

3. GiveEmHell

GiveEmHell Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know nearly as much about audio as you do, but I will say that the sound from the HK in my 2016 Charger HC does not sound to me like a $2k upgraded stereo. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to hear that there is not much difference between the Alpine and the HK. LOVE the car, but I guarantee that no one getting in my car would be commenting on how good the stereo sounds.

4. TorRed

TorRed Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    after reading all the negative posts on the HK I went with the standard radio. Figured I could do better by adding aftermarket audio components for less $$ and end up with a better system.

5. cleankat

cleankat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I think that's the way to go. I have the HK, but only because that's what I could find, car was what I wanted other than that so I just did it. But I definitely don't see the value in the upgraded system for 2k. For that price you could get something that would blow it away aftermarket.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

I'm an audiophile (means hyper critical!), but not a soul ever said my HK system sounded good, including the dealer who thought it sounded worse that stock.
    That said, when we pulled the speakers, they were not poor quality. The issue is the attempt to crossover the bass panels with 3.5" speakers firing directly into the windshield.
    Luckily it can be corrected, if you feel it's worth it. The better news is that it's likely fine for most folks and the car is such a homerun, that it's easy to just mash the pedal and listen to the 707 music.

Robert

7. mdmoore23

mdmoore23 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Does anyone know why the HK is optional on Chargers, but standard on Challenger Hellcats? I'm assuming the Challenger has a better subwoofer arrangement too, right? I have no complaints with mine.

8. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

No idea, but the Charger is a larger and more expensive car. Some bean-counter must have figured out that they could not afford to make the HK system standard on the Charger. But at this point I'm glad they didn't.

Robert

9. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Robert,

I too am an audiophile (Martin Logan Ascent I front stage, with full logan surround and REL sub for home). I have the hk in my new charger, and initially agreed with you. However, through 3 hours of dickering with it, and my phone on the drive home, I have gotten it to where it isn't something good I feel I need to upgrade near future (and I have a focal poly Kevlar with eclipse 15" titanium dome sub with phoenix gold amps, as well as a pair of audio control eqt 1/3 octave eq's sitting in a box in the garage).

This car will be my daily driver, so will see if that continues to hold...but, I can't say I am disappointed. Other than maybe disappointed with how long I had to dink around with things to get decent sound.

10. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

I'm the snob of snobs with audio... :)

Previous system was Merlin TSM's on loaded stands, Cardas wire all around, Manley Stingray II tube amp, dedicated modded ML subs, Rega and Mac front end with Thorens table and that just the dedicated two channel system. I'm putting together a new primary system over the summer, but the Merlins are a tough act to follow. I previousy had Magnepan, Carver Ribbons and Martin Logan Theos...always hunting for the next speaker!

My current theater....130" HD projection, 7 channels, SVS subs, Def tech front end (switching to GoldenEar soon)

[​IMG]

Now, with that silly stuff out of the way, I agree you can make the HK system sound okay in the Charger, but there's no fixing the upper midrange because it's firing into the glass.
    The problem (In the Charger) is that the stock Alpine system actually sounds better, though I'll need to spend on a sub.

I may also go for better rear deck speakers with surface mount tweeters along with a proper amp. If I then bias the system a bit to the rear I think I'll be in good shape.

Robert

11. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If you get tired of the tube....I would be more than happy to take it off your hands. :D sadly I have to curb my audio obsession for my other obsessions at this point. Golfer and diving (and thus travel) eat up the play budget.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  12. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I can certainly understand you not opting for the HK system in your HC based on the quality of the system in your 2015. I had the same issue; WTF did I just pay 2 grand for?

But I will say that the HK system in my 2016 is MUCH better than what I had in my 2015.

The 2015 didn't sound like it had any sub in it at all. My 2016 rattle the mirrors.

It was also a cheaper upgrade this time around at $1.5k instead of $2k.

• Like Like x 2
  13. themush

themush Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    for what its worth, my charger HC had the alpine base package. I purchased a challenger HK oem sub for $200 online, a $100 kicker 300w amp, and a PAC audio converter for $20. Made a significant difference. $320 total. Its not competition worthy by any means. The alpine set up is decent, just had very little low end. Now its a nice balance. Best of all its an oem cabinet tucked nicely under the trunk mat in the spare tire well.

14. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Let us know cappy how you make out. Same here with the rain. Yesterday's weather felt colder than most days this winter!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Any updates on this, Cap'n?