Aluminum DSS & Catback exhaust

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Driver72, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well having my Alum DSS installed and the Flowmaster Catback exhaust as we speak.

Well heads up to anybody who is thinking of doing the same....
    It won't fit!

The mufflers on the Flowmaster completely hit the larger driveshaft.

So the Flowmaster is going back.
    I gotta notify them that they need to either alter their Catback or MUST notify buyers that they can not use it with the an aluminum driveshaft.

• Useful Useful x 6
  2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Perhaps the mufflers were in tended to go to the rear of the car before exiting the back.. Just a thought...

3. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the heads up. ;)

4. Dragon

Dragon Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    not a big fan of flowmasters but I bet that beast will be loud super loud

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Damn that sucks-I hate it when you combinate things and it don't work out. Saddest shite in the world watching goodies get packed up to go back :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know a few people have said they are not big fans of Flowmaster, even the shop here said they haven't sold one in 8 years. But when they saw this one, they were all duly impressed with the quality, they said, wow Flowmaster has changed and improved a lot.

The mufflers won't fit in rear either, too long, so even if they fabricated them differently it wouldn't work.

As for sound, they aren't much louder than stock. There is a video online where you can hear it. Sounds really good.

I may have to look into just an axle back now. I really wanted it more for the quad tip look than anything.
    The fact it was 15-20lbs less than stock weight was nice as it offset the 15-20 lbs added in the subframe braces I installed today too.
    The 11 rwhp gain the Flowmaster got from the American Thunder Catback was just the icing for me.
    Oh well
    Keeping alum driveshaft on and sending exhaust back for full refund.
    Will wait to find another that fits, looks good and isn't much louder than stock, if I can.

• Useful Useful x 3
  7. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for letting us know

8. Billet Hellcat

Billet Hellcat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Magnaflow comp series 19205 will work more muffler clearance than the stock system.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm debating even doing it now.
    Shop overcharged me what they quoted me.
    And I still had to pay for the exhaust "install" even though they barely got started when they quickly realized the mufflers wouldn't clear the aluminum DS.
    Since I didn't have the quote in writing from them (though I wrote it down on a piece of paper at home) I couldn't argue the price.
    But it was $178 more than what I had wrote down, which was what they told me (and I verified that price with them at the time).
    So once again I trusted what someone said and should of had them email me the quote so I had it in writing.
    So no exhaust today, and paid $178 more than I expected and that would of been better IF I would of had the exhaust on, but I paid $178 more than I was told, and didn't even get an exhaust out of it. :(

So if I get another exhaust, I'll have to pay for another install all over again as well.

I really do love the stock exhaust sound, I just wish it had a quad tip.
    And to put quad tips on the stock exhaust will be tough. There is little room between the stock exhaust and the stock exhaust mufflers. Most tips will be longer than the rectangular stock tips, so they'll stick out too far.
    May consider an axle back with nice quad tips, like the Magnaflow we looked at, on the shops computer.
    But they have no muffler in the axle back section, so removing the stock secondary muffler to put the axle back on would result in only the stock tiny primary mufflers, which means little, which means a loud axle back. The Flowmaster deleted both the stock mufflers, but added their American Thunder one. It's just a shame they didn't consider people putting on driveshafts when they designed theirs.

10. Billet Hellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My stock exhaust was real close with the CF driveshaft I bent the muffler in a bit to make sure it would not hit the DS

11. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Stock exhaust it is... Thanks for the info!

12. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow, well the stock exhaust is really close to the Aluminum one too.
    Probably 1/3 or so of an inch of space.
    But even if you push/shake on the exhaust you can't get it to hit the DS, we tried.
    And the DS won't move at all either so, 1/3rd of an inch was enough.
    I thought the CF would be a bit smaller in diameter, guess not.
    So other than being 2.5 to 3 lbs lighter not sure what the difference in size would be then.

13. Billet Hellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The CF is 3.8" and the alum is 4.0" so it's close this was my fix until I get aftermarket exhaust.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^^Nice pics. Yup that looks about right. But you probably didn't need to hammer the exhaust like that. I understand though, piece of mind.

The shop guys pushed on my stock exhaust and couldn't get it to hit the Aluminum DS.
    But just to make sure they loosened some of the hangars and clamps pushed it away a bit more, held it with a crowbar and then re-tightened. It bought me another 1/8th or an inch or so. Originally I'd say it was 1/4-1/3 inch away. After the readjustment it was probably 1/3 or so as I stated above.
    We tested it again, grabbing it, shaking it, and pushing up on it and it wouldn't touch the DS.
    And we all know the DS is balanced on a 9,500 rpm machine, so clearly it isn't going to wobble around 1/3 of an inch or it would be drastically out of balance.

15. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes the Al 4" and the CF 3 5/8 are really close and you should be aware they may hit the stock exhaust, we noticed a slight touch when we were dynoing my car as the CF shaft does flex a bit, so we had to bend the OEM exhaust a bit.
    TC