American muscle vs German engineering

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by sahak, Jan 23, 2015.

1. sahak

sahak Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    German cars are great cars no doubt about it. But American muscle just gives a different type of feeling that German cars don't have. What do you guys think?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My German car, a 2014 Porsche Cayman S, is the biggest POS I've ever owned. I'm sticking with American Muscle!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've met a lot of European "car guys" over the years. They go on and on about classic American muscle cars, specifically (and I hate to say it) the Mustang, I believe it's mostly due to their rarity over there. I'm certainly not knocking German engineering but they just don't stir any emotion in me. In comparison, every time I look at my Hellcat I develop an uncontrollable s**t eating grin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    dont forget what you call american muscle....its an engine from Mexico and a car from Canada

its north america....but most people consider American Muscle to be made in the USA which the HC isnt

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    American, North American...still NOT primarily German. I'll stack our engineers up against theirs any day. Why did Daimler want Chrysler? For the computer design technology and engineering! After they raped Chrysler, they dumped her like a cheap date.

6. Rob K

Rob K Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    My current and previous cars are/were Mercedes. I haven't owned an American car since 1999. The Hellcat made me realize how much i miss them. And I haven't been this excited about getting a car in a long time!

I know the service and dealer experience at Mercedes is going to be so much superior to Dodge's (is already from the ordering process here). But you definitely are paying a big premium for that service.

AND to boot...both Mercedes were built in Alabama. Technically more American than the Hellcat!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I like any car that puts up great numbers. Be it braking, g's, acceleration, top speed. It's all good and everyone wins when new technology comes out. Who makes it any more is irrelevant. Most vehicles are now world cars. We make the Acura super car in Ohio! Parts and designs come from all over.

8. F6F

F6F BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A friend of mine got a Cayman S last year, he only put 350 miles on it so he cannot tell if likes it or not, but I will not tell him about your opinion LOL

9. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It spent 36 days in service in 2014 for various electrical problems. We're in Lemon Law territory. Hopefully, the "Porsche experience" will be better this year when it comes out of storage. Likely it will be my last German car.

10. RDLSRT

RDLSRT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a friend into exotic cars..... they drive great and I am happy I had the opportunity to drive them. But I prefer American Muscle.... They both have there pluses and minuses.

11. Mtr

Mtr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I appreciate the German super-sedans like the E63 AMG, M5, and RS7. They're amazingly well designed, filled with luxury, and offer excellent performance. But that all ignores one huge factor: you can't get into any of those cars reasonably optioned for less than $100K. So I admire those cars but they get a very low grade for value for money, and that's the one area that the Hellcat simply gets an A++++.

The bottom line: I admire all those cars I mentioned, but I'm giving Dodge my money.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    One glimpse through the tire smoke will tell you the Challenger is distinctly American; Regardless of how many parts are supplied from other countries and what portions of the build are outsourced doesn't change that fact. Likewise, I'm sure the European cars contain many parts made in Taiwan or China or some other nation. Anybody familiar with cars can tell a classic AMERICAN musclecar like the Hellcat from the rest of the cars on the road, and if much of it is made elsewhere, then that's probably WHY it doesn't cost six figures like most of it's so-called competitors, and I'm thankful for that as I ain't rich!!!!

• Like Like x 2