An otherwise amazing situation ruined by the dealer…again.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Galt, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Galt

Galt Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    All I want to do is buy a car. How did the system get this screwed up? Elon Musk isn't having these problems. And why on earth is anyone paying over MSRP? You're only positively reinforcing positively bad behaviour. Every year this happens with something and 10 months later a guy is sitting around with last year's base model C7 he paid Z06 money for kicking himself. Does no one ever learn? Every year it's Playstations, Tickle Me Elmo, the new Vette or whatever. Collectively we seem to learn nothing when it comes to dirt bags playing keep away. STOP PAYING THEM AND THEY'LL STOP DOING IT.

But back to my point - this was supposed to make me like Dodge and all it's done is remind me why I left them in the first place - it's a miserable experience. The last time I tried to buy a new Dodge was in 1992 and then again in 1994 with the Viper - and that was such a soul sucking fiasco I walked away for 22 years. (Couldn't get a 92 for obvious reasons so I ordered a '94, patiently waited months, it came in, first one in town so the dealer jacked the price 40K to get me to walk then sold it to his brother at MSRP). Dodge did nothing but suggest I try again. I STILL get mad every time I see a Viper. Company has changed hands, presumably the previous offenders are gone - and here we are again. Dealers screwing customers so no matter how great the car is, they've still found a way to ruin it for everyone.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the product and what they've been doing the last decade. Brilliant stuff. They finally won me back over…and then ran me back out the door as fast as they could. And I bet you dollars to doughnuts if you took the profiteers outta the process, supply would match demand. Why must dealers and self imposed middlemen constantly ruin everything?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Does Chrysler have less control over their dealers than Ford and GM? It seems to me that they wouldn't have to play these allocation games if they actually had control over the behavior of the dealers. Doesn't it make more sense that the dealer simply shouldn't be allowed to sell a vehicle for more than MSRP (as in, the sale will not go through in the computers), rather that trying to "incentivize" them to behave by creating a process that penalizes them if they have a Hellcat on their lot for too long? My dealer put my car "in service" 7 days before I even took delivery of it (and 3 days before it arrived on their lot), because they were worried about the car being in KZ too long, and them missing out on their next month's allocations. As a result, I technically have 1 week less warranty than I should. The principle of that drives me insane. And because I was so happy to finally receive my hellcat, I didn't put up a fight. I'm not even sure I could've, because once a car has been put "in service," I don't know if that date can be changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Q5Dart

Q5Dart Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    AMEN!

4. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's like everything else...some can afford to pay a premium and not wait. I've been on the Steelers' season ticket wait list for 15 years now...the price I pay for tickets to a game in the open market is nuts...but I can either pay it and go or not and someone else will. Dealers mark up the products because they KNOW the demand far exceeds the supply...they are not stupid despite what many think and they are in the FOR PROFIT business.

Don't get me wrong, there's no way I was going to pay above MSRP, actually got mine for 1k off...but if my pockets were deeper...I would absolutely pay the markup to be driving v. waiting in VON hell. Sorry, you'll never get the masses to not pay ADM. Some dealers are dreaming...20k seems to be over what reasonable folks are willing to pay, but 5k seems to fine...so they will ask 10k over and see what they can get.

While I completely understand your frustration and agree that it would be preferred if folks didn't over pay for cars....it's just not going to happen. The only correction that will occur is when the market supply matches or exceeds the demand...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was just getting my information to have the label for my car and I forgot just how long my car sat in Taylor or wherever it was.

Built October 14th and delivered to dealer December 11th.

6. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Built 6 Oct 2014, Delivered 18 Dec 2014 - long time to be in jail.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. IESRT8

IESRT8 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Same boat. Ready to move on. GOing to check out Roush Mustangs and Saleen S302 Yellow Label. After inquiring with 24 dealers and only one selling at MSRP I am giving up. FCA lied and is handling this vehicle extremely poorly..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  8. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I totally agree, the people who pay markups aren't kicking themselves the following year, they are enjoying their car OR have so much money that it isn't noticeable. I paid MSRP but would have paid $5k over. As with anything, its worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. magnummrk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can understand your frustration.

I feel very fortunate to have received my car.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. magnummrk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It was a rough time, and others now are having a rougher time :(

11. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yep

and I thought the black hood wait was bad. I feel pretty luck to have one home in the garage.

12. Galt

Galt Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'd almost be fine with paying over MSRP if that money were going to Dodge. Free market, supply, demand and all that; huzzah. Just auction allocations straight from the home office and let capitalism do it's thing. Happy to reward the geniuses building the car. However, I can't see the good in paying a premium to dudes whose sole purpose is to make your life miserable and see how much he/she can screw you out of.

Of course they'll never do that because of the mob running distribution - but were the free market actually in play rather than institutionalized union-goon communism, perhaps Dodge wouldn't have to be sold for scrap once every decade. I hope Elon Musk crushes this broken system and puts an end to the welfare fraud known as the 'dealer network'.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well that's the beauty, you don't have to do anything you don't want to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There will always be people who will pay more for new, shiny things. It is just human nature. I'm sure if we all stopped buying gasoline when the price goes through the roof (boycott), it would drop overnight. But that is just fantasy to think it will ever happen. Some people don't mind paying more, some do.

15. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This just shows another issue. A dealer doing things 'by the book' should never have to 'fudge' any paperwork to make sure they get what they are entitled to. Shame on Dodge for making the dealer feel they need to do this. Shame on the dealer for doing it.

• Agree Agree x 5