An Unexpected Journey

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by MrBigKid, Feb 26, 2015.

1. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Tuesday February 24th around 1445

I have called so many dealers, some more than once in my search. My cell # is out far and wide and they love to call me to see if my desperation has gotten bigger.

Today I got calls from 4 dealers from all over the country. TX, LA, NV and NC

One had increased his price to 10k over,(Not interested) one was still 10 k,(Not interested) One could go as low as 5k over, (Not interested) and one salesman said “My salesman told me that you was promised the very first call when our HellCat finally arrived."

I barely remember speaking to the first salesman and I did not recall his name.

“The HellCat was delivered a couple hours ago. It's out back and it hasn't even been moved from the unloading yet. Are you still interested" he asked.

"Yes, yes I am." I said.

The GM then proceeded to teach me all the wonderful things about the car.

“Sir, I do not mean to be rude but I am extremely familiar with the features of the car.” I interrupted.

Guess my patience is boarding on rudeness these days...

He took it in stride though and we chit chatted about how long it took him to get it and that it was the 2nd he had received.

“What is the price?” I asked, ready to laugh at him.

His response? “I don't really know. I haven’t looked it up but I will go do it now and call you back. “

LOL “No problem, call anytime” I dismissively said.

He was just a typical salesman trying to gauge my interest and the deepness of my pocket. Or so I thought.

I was actually surprised when he called back in 10 minutes.

That was quick I said as I answered the phone, did you get the price?

Immediately he started at base and started listing the options and what the price for each was. He finally came to the total and said the MSRP was at 64,665. He hesitated and I asked "Ok, so what is YOUR price?"
    "Well"
    , he replied, "I can give you $500 off MSRP". It felt like 15 seconds passed in silence before he continued, “Hello, are you there?”

“Yes, I'm here. So you said you would give me 500 OFF MSRP?” I said nonchalantly.

“Yes. That would bring the total down to $64,065. How does that sound?”

“Sir, your HellCat is now SOLD. Please lock the doors and hide the keys, I will be there in the morning with cash and a check. “

“Sounds good I’ll make sure no one bothers it.”

We spent the next 15 minutes talking about my wants; no holes in the bumper, do not wash, all paperwork retained etc. etc.

I hung up, and stood there with a churning stomach for a few minutes then went straight to the boss’s office and told him I needed tomorrow off. I really don’t remember exactly what I did for the next few hours of work but I went home, did the chores and then proceeded to clean out my car and take all the electronics and customizations out in the freezing rain. It's 0100 and I just finished and am sitting down typing these notes so I don't miss anything of my story. I'm planning on getting up at 0500 to do the 3 hour drive so I can be there first thing.

He promised the car is mine but I am afraid of someone offering him 10k to throw me to the curb. This is also the reason I cannot post this story right now. I like you guys/gals but I don’t TRUST you! J

We shall see...

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wednesday February 25th

0630 CRAP I set, but did not turn on, my phone alarm! I’m such an idiot! I wake the wife. She also took the day off to go with me. She is the greatest wife you could want but she doesn’t do mornings. Especially rushed mornings! Screw the coffee, where’s the Redbull….

0730 Dogs walked, birds fed, etc etc. Just as I am walking out I find out there is a major issue at work. CRAP! Head to work, leaving the wife to wait in the car. Finally resolve things and we hit the road right around 0930. I got 223 miles to cover and the dealer opens at 1000. Someone is going to see my car on the show room floor and kick me to the curb! (He said it was the safest place to keep it and swore it would remain buttoned up.) I got to the dealer almost exactly 3 hours later at 1230. Good time considering there was an overturned semi on I-20 that screwed things up on both sides because of the rubberneckers.

1230 God, it was all I could do not to let my knees knock or give out as I walked in the front door and seen that drop dead gorgeous car staring at me. I wanted to giggle and scamper to the car but I buck it up and put on a mature, calm, orderly appearance and walk to the kiosk ignoring the car. Asked for Bob and there he was waiting on me.

1530 Still waiting for a hammer to drop though, not really believing I can get this lucky. God it takes a long time to do dealer paperwork. Sign one paper, wait 30 minutes and sign another. Over and over again. No issues other than verifying USAA, insurance etc, but it is still taking a long time. It starts to snow. Big, fat, heavy snowflakes. TV starts saying the state has already declared an emergency. Parents need to go pick up their children. Schools will be closed. 6 inches coming in. Hard icing. Oh god, I’m having a hard time maintaining my calm composure in front of these people as it is. Now I am worrying about how to get a 707 beast home in the snow and ice. And one with summer tires at that!

1715 Oh god, cranking, sitting, driving the car off the lot gives me goose bumps just remembering it. It has been said so much on this forum that it seems trivial, but the search and the stress IS WORTH IT!

2330 I back into my driveway. The drive home was stressful in its own way. I went home via back country because of the 50 mph break-in and for the first 1.5 hours I rarely broke 30 due to the snow, ice and the idiots. In the first 30 miles there were 19 cars in the ditch or in an accident. These people do NOT know how to handle this stuff. After about 2 hours it was just constant rain downpour the entire trip home. Slow and careful. The beast did good and the only time she slipped or made my wife gasp was when I got a touch careless or I decided to play. Trust me, the traction control does not hesitate to try and jerk you back.

So Long story short I have traded in my red headed mistress for a grey haired mistress who has a hell of a lot more pep in her step.!

AND I did it for $1500.00 U N D E R MSRP! $500 off from the dealer and $1000 off from USAA.

Granite Crystal
    Auto
    Nappa red/black interior
    Red Seatbelts
    Nav
    Brass Monkey wheels
    Summer Tires
    9 miles on the odometer

MSRP = $64,565
    Cost = $63,065 + taxes, fees, all that other crap

I’m such a lucky bastard!

Pics to follow….

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are you still with me? You stuck around and read this far? I’m impressed!

Here is your reward!

I didn’t even know Carmax sold new vehicles but they have 4 new car lots.
    The one I went to was in Norcross GA. 39 acres of new and used cars.
    This dealer has 2 more HC cars in route. The 1st one is a white Charger and I think the 2nd is a black challenger.
    Both are available (As of yesterday evening)
    They can be yours! Call Bob and get one.

Best new / used car purchase EVER!

Bob is the man! Please make sure you tell him Wayne from SC sent you!

Carmax

Bob Sproul
    1975 Beaver Ruin Rd.
    Norcross, GA 30071
    770-263-8808 ext 2045
    Cell 404-797-4613
    Email bob_a_sproul_jr@carmax.com

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Great story!! Congrats!!! I need to see those pics please!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hunter Hastings

Hunter Hastings Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats cool story.:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Grey Haired Mistress

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It looks awesome! First good pic of Granite and Brass Monkey I have seen. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have high res photos if you want them...

9. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    One of the side view from the rear would be appreciated! Great looking car!

10. Zacuda

Zacuda Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great story. Congratulations

• Like Like x 1
  11. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Nice ride congrats!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

13. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    thx for the great story......

• Like Like x 1
  14. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great sucess story and man did you score!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats!!!! That is such a great story!!!

• Like Like x 1