Andrew's Upcoming Build

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Builds' started by Leoneaj33, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Leoneaj33

Leoneaj33 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, so I have been reading and reading and am finally ready to start my build. Here is some basic info:

My Hellcat is a 2016 A8
    I drive this car rain snow or shine so will need to run pump gas

Planed performance mods

Aluminum Drive Shaft (just arrived Saturday)
    555R for the back wheels (keeping the p zeros on the front, this is for summer only)
    Billet Technoloy catch can
    Metro 2.85 upper pulley
    180 degree thermostat
    Tune
    Pin the crank
    Catless midpipes (or some type of high-flow potentially) (later on)
    Potentially a catback later - more for the sound

So I have a few questions. First, does this seem like an appropriate build considering I drive it everyday? I have no problem sticking to 93 gas if it makes more sense to add injectors and do a 2.75 pulley.

Second, and this is my real dilemma, I just started getting into cars two years ago as a way to destress from my job. It kind of came out of nowhere but I can't get enough and am having so much fun. I purchased a 911TT last summer that has had a ton of work done to it. Its an awesome car (only driven in the summer) but I feel like I lost something not having had done the work myself. I've done bolt on work in the past (exhaust, CAI) but that's about it but I REALLY want to do the work myself on this car. Am I crazy? I've had SO much fun doing the basic stuff. Also, I just purchased a lift (probably premature with my auto experience) so I have that handy.

Thanks for all your help. This forum is awesome.

2. jvm728

jvm728 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You and I are doing similar builds. I'd like to run the 2.75 but am sticking with the 2.85 for now.

I don't daily mine but would feel comfortable in doing so. It's been a blast every minute and mile I've had it on the road

3. gto19

gto19 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've pretty much have done what your gonna do.borla cat back this week then gonna take a break .my car daily drives just fine .you should be a good mechanic to do the pulley job etc. just put in one big order from hhp .they will hook you up with everything .read my build and look at all the pictures .also look at Owens build also .theres plenty of good info there.i have not pinned my crank though

Eric's build m6 HHP tune,b woody ,metco 2.85 ,180t stat

4. Wack_Cat

Wack_Cat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your fine I run 2.65 upper pulley on stock sticks so your way fine. A ton of guys here have some great experience and know the safe route for daily driving. Plus if you do all the work your self there is a ton of help on here.

5. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your off to a great start. Make sure you use the right lift points on the under carriage. Sounds like you are ready and raring to go. Post some time slips if you track the cat. Be safe and be cool

6. Leoneaj33

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks a lot. My biggest fear is doing to pulley and pinning the crank. Though I really do want to do the work myself...
    gto19 is this something I could handle with guidance or should I simply stay away? Again, I'm still green but I'm also of the philosophy that you have to learn by doing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gto19

gto19 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg I haven't pinned my crank but the I did the pulley with a friend (great mechanic).youll need a buddy to help spin the the pulley off .i did see someone use a piece of wood on the pins which I thought was a great idea .just have the correct tools and take your time .any questions let me know ! Study all the pictures on people's pulley install threads

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  8. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    With these mods have you made sure about warranty issues. Pinning the crank is a def no no and other things may cause dealer to decide if they want to me jerks say no and your cat gets flagged in Chrysler system

9. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Andrew, like I promised last Saturday, I will help. Don't want to pin the crank. I think you should leave that and the upper pulley to our friends at one of the local shops, then we can data log and coordinate with touching up the tune. I will show you all of that. We can do nearly the rest of it with your new lift etc. You should bring the HC and the Porsche to Brainerd in June. You would have quite a day!

10. Leoneaj33

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, I think that's the way to go. I'll leave the pulley and crank to someone professional so I can feel confident that it was done right.

I can't wait to get up north. I just saw your email and am going to talk with my wife about signing up (she'll be in her third trimester so I have to be a little sensitive :) should be a ton of fun.

Once we get these plugs we can get the DS installed. If you want to bring your cat over we could do both on the same day. I'm going to order my 555r's today if I have the time. Finally have some nice weather coming up!!

11. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Might do that, if we can do one, we can do the second twice as fast! Hope they ship everything this week, we will see, I have not seen or heard anything to give any optimism that they have the plugs or the solution at hand yet.

12. LukeFortney

LukeFortney Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey...I'm just a hop, skip, and a jump away in Sioux Falls, SD. I do get to the cities a few times a year. Are you guys going to the mopars in the park?

I plan to do a mild build as well with pullies and tune. (just in case a Z06 pulls up along side me)

13. Leoneaj33

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know a lot of guys on here are. I haven't registered yet because my daughter has a dance recital on that Saturday but I think I can make Sunday.

I'll probably go to our local cars and coffee in the AM Saturday then head over to mopars in the park Sunday.

14. moparmangamble

moparmangamble Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    These cars are easy to work on IMO. Going cat less and adding power increases exhaust noise, mine roars! I'm diehard Mopar and my dealer recognizes that! My 14 Ram and 16 Cat are both modified,they warranty everything they can that isn't resulting directly from them. And they will stretch the rules. Pulled my cat through service bay on Monday and all the techs lined up to smell the race gas! Lots off good help on this forum! My .02!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Whalecat

Whalecat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like you are off to a great start. I would suggest the Mickey Thompsons over the Nittos. You will overpower the 555 R's.