Another cquartz thread, sort of.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Appearance' started by MrBigKid, Aug 10, 2015.

1. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cliff notes for those that do not want to read my bloviate prose.
    Paint conditioning is a must
    Cquartz keeps the car clean and appears to be well worth it.

I want to highlight a slightly different aspect than what I am accustomed to seeing on prior reviews. There have been a lot of posts about the cquartz being awesome. And I will not challenge that opinion. I also waited 2 weeks to focus my thoughts and give me enough time to experience the difference.

I had the full correction and Cquartz done on my HC. I also had a full front bikini of Suntex done. The Suntex was the dealer's recommendation and since research did not seem to resolve to one "best" brand I went with the recommendation. He did a superb job on the install. You can barely see the lines and it does not obscure the paint in any way. (Although I *did* have a lady at a show give me a heart attack when she asked how I got the scratch on my fender!)

The paint correction is where it’s at! If you cannot or decide not to do the cquartz PLEASE seriously consider getting paint correction done. I lucked out and got a darn good paint job. I did and still do have a couple issues but not many and nowhere near as bad as most. Chris still removed a lot of orange peel and the visual clarity is much MUCH better than stock. I think this is what makes all cquartz applications look so darn good. It makes a stunning difference IMHO. Don't question, just do it and then either wax or cquartz.

The cquartz does add a layer of gloss and deepness. No doubt about it. I would place the glossiness on a level with a really good Brazilian wax job. Combine that with the paint correction and it’s saweet! Where the cquartz makes the biggest difference (IMHO) is in the hydrophobic properties. Prior to treatment I would wash my car 2-3 times a week in a touch free and once by hand on the weekend. In the 2 weeks since I've had the car back I have only rinsed it with a pressure washer twice. Dust, dirt, water spots just do not seem to stick very well. The dirt just slides off the car leaving these bright crystal looking beads of water. Yes the water beads look different now. Brighter, cleaner, can't really describe it. After rinsing I just drive for a few miles and the beads just sheet off the car naturally leaving no water spots. I haven’t touched a rag to the car in the 2 weeks to wash OR to dry. I don't even have that scummy layer that builds when you do not hand wash. The car is left looking like I just washed, dried, and detail sprayed it. AWESOME! I am saving money in car washes and definitely not putting much labor into the upkeep. Even the bane of a clean car: the thunderstorm is no longer an issue. The rain shower is just a free car wash now! After the rain, go for a drive, come home and rinse the quarters if needed, and presto! You’re back to a shiny car.

Cquartz is expensive, and judging from the results I have seen, worth it. However I will reserve final judgement pending how long it stays like this. If I get at least 2 years of this same effect I will most definitely be happy with it.

The owner at Auto Shield had 2 different photographers come and do a shoot while they had the car. I will put in a few pictures, but they are at MrBigKid.imgur.com if you want higher res. Look for the album "Photo Shoots" and "Cquartz". The cquartz album is just various pictures during the process but some are damn good. :D

If you’re in the Columbia SC area or close enough for it to be viable, I highly recommend the guys below. Not only did they do an awesome job but gave great service while I worked through all the issues I had just getting it to them. (Accident, custom paint, etc.) Even though it took months for me to finally get it to them they had no problem working with me or answering any idiotic question I had. And I had a LOT. Even better, they respected the car as well as my trepidation with leaving it there.

Michalski Detailing, LLC

Auto Shield of Columbia

My 2 cents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for sharing broham! Very detailed write up and pros and cons

• Like Like x 1
  3. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    My eyes are cramping after that novel:eek: big words too. Not into looking at an online dictionary to see what you meant:confused:
    Me, the water sheds off so nice with cquartz would be what I'd write, love it;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I DID give you the cliff notes up top....

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Bloviate prose, really? Is that a knob?

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No it's a new word I learned recently.

7. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I updated the original post with some pictures. I couldn't get the slideshow to work. the rest are at mrbigkid.imgur.com

8. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Digging the shine on that Granite Crystal! She looks great!

April

• Like Like x 2
  9. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'll hunt up a pic of the flake, the polishing really made a huge difference in how the flake pops.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  10. Presidential_Detail

Presidential_Detail Hellcat Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow, fantastic write-up! As Cquartz FINEST installers, we really do take pride in making these cars look the absolute best they can. That doesnt mean just slapping a coating on the car and sending you on your way. As you mentioned, Finest certainly does add a fair amount of gloss and depth on its own. However, the real difference comes with the many hours we spend polishing and massaging the paint to get rid of what i call the factory "fog". We have done several hellcats now, and it still blows my mind every time how much better these cars looks after polishing and Finest!

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. Mr. Michalski knocked it out of the park!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    MBK...thanks for the useful and well written report. Your car looks better than new.;) The Granite and BMR's compliment each other nicely. Is the water in SC considered soft, med or hard ....generally speaking? Here in SoCal, it is pretty hard and is full of minerals leaving hard water spots if not dried after washing.:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In my neck of the woods definitely hard. Not sure about the rest although I think SC overall is said to be softer than most. I probably spent more time drying than I did washing because the water spots can be so bad. I have a leaf blower that is dedicated to car drying as well as a cabinets worth of soft towels. Now, with the blower or even a drive, the water comes off so well that they just don't seem to have time to show up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice info and pics and is very relevant to me at Im on the coast is S Carolina.
    I am down to the wire on my CQuartz decision. I have done most of my prep ( Myself) using clay bar, IronX, REFLECT Polish etc, etc, clear bra last week so I am almost ready for a top coat.
    I have a question about CQuartz. How slick is it? I have seen on some post it is not as slick as wax etc.
    I am still strongly considering using my old school Liquid Glass as my top coat based on past experiences and the fact that is it so slick. Back in the 90's Liquid glass advertised its use for airplanes as the slickness would save gas on airplanes. All I can say is it was so slick on my last car one person could not put a car cover on a car as it would slide off.
    So how does CQuartz feel to the touch?
    I am heading out Wednesday to the Myrtle Beach speedway,,,Mopar week this week 8/8/15 to 8/16/15. If anyone will be around the beach this week and has CQuartz I would love to see your car in person.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will have to answer your question tomorrow since I have not really touched mine... :) I HATE fingerprints. And my door handles are covered with the film. I honestly can't remember touching the paint since I got it back. So I will caress her tomorrow and let you know how it feels. (hopefully better than that sounded! :eek:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hats off to you MrBigKid you nailed it. Proper prep is the deal maker, or breaker. I don't care what flavor you run with from there. Poor prep = poor results. Gloss will be poor at best if all you do is lay a product down over micro marring and surface imperfections that distort light reflection. Get the surface primed or go home.

Then your product. My cat has is exclusively car pro usa products, top to bottom, inside and outside. That are above and below Xpel.
    Beyond that it's an appropriate maintenance regiment. Mine is the least amount of physically touchung the car. I've had 3 detail shops video and photo the car they simply can believe the appearance.

(Last utilized car pro's hydro foam, after rinse, their iron x, rinse, then their reset, then the hydro foam + mitt, then rinse, water dry, then air dry. Hydrofoam is amazing +++)

Great post thanks for sharing your experience.

• Like Like x 1