Another "Hellcat Killer"

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Dubya, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. owenspackman

owenspackman BritishCat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I saw this posted around facebook.

I'd rather keep my warranty to be honest. I can't see 901hp out of the 392 without some major upgrades to internals, all of that and blower install would surpass the $7k mentioned in the article.

Not to mention nothing will be happening until tuning is made available.

We should also consider the source of this article too. Very poor reputation.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I suspect the driveline as a whole would also need urgent attention. How auto writers refuse to take that into consideration while bragging on tuner cars baffles me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If they could get it to pump that much power, you are right, first they need to beef the entire drivetrain, then cool it, then hope that engine holds together for at least a couple of races before it explodes.

Oh and they have the same problem as we do now....how to get more than 700 hp to the pavement?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was asked if my car was available for the 4.2 version to be used as a test vehicle, but without the ECM getting unlocked it's kind of useless, they would have had to use a standalone ECM and I'm not looking to do that....

• Like Like x 2
  6. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Top cat, and others are right,, until they crack the ecm,,, your not changing anything,,,, and the scat packs are tearing rear ends up when they put DRs on, and that's a cost of 3000 dollars,I think it's a pipe dream

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey Top Cat, did they end up finding a test mule? I'm not volunteering, but would love to see what they come up with on the HC. Also interested to see what the weak links in our drivetrain would be.

8. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would think drive shaft, and axles

9. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Although interesting, there's no way the internals will handle that much power without a major overhaul. The driveline won't be able to handle that either...figure a change to the driveshaft, axles, and transmission. In the end, this will cost WAY over $7000. Hell, the blower I had on my previous 392 was $7000 alone. After other modifications, I was up near 13k. At that point, I was around 630hp at the crank. Could I have gotten more...yes, but not without detonation and risk to blow the internals of the engine. I inquired about simply changing the pulley and retuning it (which are simple upgrades), but to do so safely I would have had to forge the bottom end, change to 1000hp axles, amongst other things. That quickly shot the cost up by thousands and was not worth it with the Hellcat coming out. For them to say $7000 and BAM you get 901hp is unrealistic and any hardcore gearhead will know that. They can't even tune the car yet LOL Just my .02.......

P.S.- I would love to see what the 4.2L blower looks like....that's a lot of displacement! Another added cost would be repairs when things start breaking and are not covered under warranty...another reason why I went the Hellcat route!

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree,, just buy a hellcat, and when they crack the ecm , spend a couple bucks on a pulley, tune, and be done... I would even pay dodge to do this upgrade,, that way they can put a safe tune in it, and maybe keep my warranty,,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There's honestly no point to 900+hp unless you can get it to the ground anyway! The Hellcat is difficult enough to launch LOL.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    True my super bee to get it past 670HP was gonna cost me $16k with some reforging done to the engine parts and to get it past 800HP was gonna cost me about $37,000

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was asked because we have experience with the large KB blowers, 3.6/4.2 and the new 4.7 and to be honest there are very few around that would want to do what is needed to up grade the car to handle the HP/Tq the KB's make. Every drive line part would need up graded including the trans input and output shafts, as far as getting the car to handle the power, we were running consistent 1.32-1.36 60' times with the IRS and 15" wheels with 29.5 x 9.5 x 15 slicks.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Fortunately, the folks the Kenne Bell Performance are working on a supercharger package that could lift the output from 485 to 901 horsepower. That is 901 horsepower, according to the folks at Hot Rod.

It's a paper tiger and what about the drive train. Also it does not have a forged bottom end. It will blow that engine all to hell.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    First 6000 rpm shift, and boom

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2