Another HK Reflash update?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Electronics' started by BrakeFade, May 20, 2016.

1. BrakeFade

BrakeFade Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    So I had the reflash that was posted here a few months ago performed on my HK equipped 392 & continued to hear rattle from the rear deck. At first I thought it was the actual deck vibrating but was able to hold it down in a few spots and hear distortion in one of the speakers. The funny thing is the rattle wasn't limited to high volumes, happened only occasionally, and occurred at all ranges/different bass levels. Took my ride into the dealer yesterday for an alignment and to have a tech check the speakers. Tech stated there was a new HK Amplifier update released by FCA.
    Maybe I'm going nuts, but I swear the volume level is lot louder. Bass seems to be scaled back a bit as well. No rattle yet, but I've only been in the car for an hour max since getting it back.
    Anyone heard of a new HK flash?

2. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Got it done yesterday. Hate it and the TCM flash they forced upon me. Never again without the other 20,000 people trying it first. Sounded good most of the day, last night the radio and nearly all apps don't work. Transmission downshifts like a truck now. It is awful we all need to complain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How did the TCM affect the shifts?

4. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Seems to up shift fine. Now in default mode the downshifts are very noticeable when slowing and driving normal and it is not appreciated in that mode at all. Downshifts like a cheap piece of junk.

Also it wants to get into lower gears too soon, much like driving in sport or track before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BrakeFade

BrakeFade Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    No performance flash updates for me as I'm only in a 392. Just the "new" HK flash....

6. digdug33071

digdug33071 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I did the upgrade about 3 weeks ago. I haven't noticed any change except adding Siri. Car runs like a champ. Stereo is great. Only oddity was the first time I plugged in the phone to USB, the volume control went psycho on me. Good ever since, though.

7. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hoping it was a temporary glitch with the computer like that. After powering down the radio did come back to life. Hope the other apps come on. We probably will take it out tomorrow and see.

8. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What version HK flash is this? The last one I did is 16.16.13.

9. BrakeFade

BrakeFade Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Not sure, my invoice doesn't show a software version.

10. raabj0rn

raabj0rn Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How can you find what version you have?

Can you get this info from inside of the car menus?

After seeing that there are newer versions of software updates out there, it makes me want to check mine and see what I have.

11. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The HK flash makes the higher end brighter and the low end more subdued. Bass is not boomy anymore. Some people like that, and others don't. The clarity is much better after the update, but the bass is not as pronounced.

Also, there is still a glitch with the HK update that automatically sets the volume leveling on, when it says "off" on the screen. You have to actually turn it on and off quick to get it fully off. It's annoying. If I would have known this in the beginning, I would have opted to not have any audio upgrades, and build my own system with the proper speakers, processors, and amps.

As for the TCM update, I am just glad I never got it. The car drives fine...if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

12. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes you can get it through the menus. I just poked around in the menus for a while and found it. The instructions I had on how to find it did not match the menus on my system but it was not hard to find.

13. raabj0rn

raabj0rn Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Ah okay.

I did notice that the bass is really 'rumbly' and I had to crank the treble and mids up quite a bit to get the sound I wanted, but the sub is still kind of muddy.

I have had some really nice custom audio builds in the past with 2x10s and tweaking the sub sensitivity level was the key to crisp, clean punchy bass.

I'm really after a punchy, tight bass, more so than a muddy, droney bass.

I listen to alot of metal and other fast paced music, with the occasional hop-hip/beats.

The hip-hop stuff sounds great, but metal, not so much.

I would love to be able to crack into engineering mode and be able to manually control the cutoff frequencies and sub sensitivity.

But, if there is known glitch, I will definitely stay away from that.

14. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I listen to the same thing as you, and as of right now, there is nothing in terms of a receiver that you can use that will maintain functionality of the UConnect. It's really a pain, so it's not worth the money you will spend. Who needs the radio anyways...the exhaust sounds so damn good!

15. raabj0rn

raabj0rn Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This HK system sounds wayyy better than the HK system I had in my AMG so, its definitely a big upgrade sound quality wise for sure.

But having the kind of muddy bass just make me think there has gotta be a way to tweak it. maybe I'm just missing my old aftermarket setup I plunked a couple grand into years ago in my Camaro.