Another radiator goes boom!

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by SRT_HC_707, Apr 20, 2016.

1. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I thought I was past this but apparently not.

I put a couple of hundred miles on my car Monday and it ran great. Came home and parked it in the garage. Went out 3 hours later to take some trash out and there was a sea of pink under the car.

Best I could tell it looked like the right side of the radiator tank popped. I couldn't see the source of the leak or any visible problem indicating the tank separated but that's where the coolant was.

I was lucky to have it fail in my garage. Earlier I was in 90 minutes of rush hour traffic!!! Had transported to the dealer via flatbed. Got a call this afternoon, they verified the radiator popped. New one on order (hopefully it arrives tomorrow as the order went out very late in the day today).

Looking forward to getting my cat back soon. In 6K miles of driving this has been my first real problem (couple other very minor cosmetic issues but that's it).

2. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Year/ build date?

3. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Its a Sublime car so, by definition, it's a '15

That, and his Sig, lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This never happened with the old brass copper radiators. Many originals are still in cars from 40++ years ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's a known issue. There was a bad manufacturing run where the end tanks were not properly crimped to the core. fnkychkn stated a while back that all the LX cars back to '05 (including the V6 cars) all use the same radiator. The radiators are fine. Just a bad batch from the vendor. Some tooling must have been out of spec.

There is also a bulletin (in WIKI section). Has details of problem and the dealers have a test gauge to verify if the radiator is in spec. or not. I was planning on having mine checked next time it was in the shop.