Another "Red Key" Urban Legend I heard the other day...

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by SoCcal Dragger, Jan 2, 2016.

1. SoCcal Dragger

SoCcal Dragger Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was getting an exterior detail at a shop I became acquainted with through a local camaro club (my area is heavy GM/Chevy territory and I own a Chevy). I was talking to the shop owner about the HC and he mentioned that the last time I was in, he told a local used car dealership that he does business with that there was an HC in for detail. He said the dealer was excited to see one(never saw one) and asked to be called again when it returns for another detail. The detailer obliged and the dealer waltzed by to see the HC. The usual chit chat follwed, but two things he said stood out to me. He said, 1. he has never seen one at the auctions and 2. FCA knows/counts red key usage and knows if you "beat" on the car. I did not challenge (pun intended) him and just chuckled to myself. Anyway, he just seemed like the typical douchebag used car salesman who didn't leave without offering to buy my car and knows everything about a car he has never seen or driven. He even asked me if I found the car to be constantly "hunting" for gears since its an A8 (too much interwebs reading for this guy; powerful effect on the weak minded). Had to throw in a Star Wars reference...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "ET" does phone home! If you've set up a U-Connect account, you can look at the online "dashboard" for info about tire pressures, etc., or get periodic emails with the same info. When the big security issue came up, the dashboard showed that I'd done the refash even though the car had not been to the dealer. Likely there's a lot more information being "phoned home" that we are not even aware of (basically same concept as the Progressive OBD2 "Snapshot"). As far as it having anything specifically to do with the Red Key, I'd bet that it reports home regardless of which key is used. Like it or not, "Big Brother" is watching! The newer cars are just more sophisticated in the ways that they report home, but almost anything on the road, short of vintage vehicles, reports home to one degree or another. Want to avoid the Black Helicopters? Find an old junker! (BTW, don't forget the tin foil hat either!)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. budkole

budkole Best Color and fastest is undoubtedly WHITE

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    This may be a dumb question, but what the star wars reference?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the weak minded reference

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. SoCcal Dragger

SoCcal Dragger Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

• Like Like x 1
  6. Obiefox

Obiefox Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why set up Uconnect then?

7. budkole

budkole Best Color and fastest is undoubtedly WHITE

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    CHC Trooper 5.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree. From what the service writer at the dealer told me, the UCONNECT system that we access is not the same as what the dealer has access to. Apparently, the system we access shares information with the dealer system and vice versa. I beleieve that the consumer UCONNECT side shares everything with the dealer system but the dealer system is selective in what it shares with us. I'm not sure how often our cars "report home" but it's likely at least once per month, hence the lag time that you describe. I believe that I observed about the same lag period for my dashboard to update. FWIW, I have a 2014 RAM Laramie 1500, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland and my 2015 Challenger Hellcat. Even though the 1 year free period for full UCONNECT has expired (and I have not renewed) they all still "report home".

It is my "hope" that if any of my cars are stolen, it "might" make recovery easier if they are UCONNECT registered (re-activate with a phone call immediately upon discovery of theft?)

9. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    anyone have confirmation on the hellcat phoning home specifics?

• Like Like x 1
  10. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Blaze, I don't have any specifics, but maybe we can clip an antenna lead? Unless of course it's a common lead and we lose other stuff...

11. Peter Gozinya

Peter Gozinya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I never set up the Uconnect. I did notice that everyone including the dealer seemed to emphasize I should do it "right away" which was kind of weird. Personally I do not feel the need to start my car or lock or unlock my doors with my phone. I have remote key fob that does it pretty good all on its own. If someone says, "yeah but with UConnect you can start your car with your phone from the other side of the country..." and my response would be "why is that a good thing?". Big Brother or Dodge does not need UConnect to track how you drive your car. I am pretty much sure that data is saved in the ECU. UConnect may deliver that stuff more real time but it just seems unnecessary and I do feel like it is an invasion of privacy. The government or anyone else, does not need UConnect to know I am breaking the speed laws constantly in my Hellcat and from what I understand speeding, or driving the car to the redline does not void your warranty in anyway so what exactly is the benefit of UConnect??

12. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    oh but being able to start the car from inside a restaurant when it's 100+ degrees out is a lovely lovely thing...I embrace technology every step of the way and could care less if big brother knows my every step.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Slowhand

Slowhand Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My Red Key activates Time travel mode. Time flies when I'm driving it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. blaze

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    cannot remote start the manual though..

15. blaze

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    BULL: Hellcat Faraday cage >=]