Another "Running hot" Thread

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by 69RT, Sep 19, 2015.

1. 69RT

69RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yesterday, while driving to work, car was running 210-212 most of the way. Towards end of 20 mile commute, spiked to 221. Fan kicked on and dropped to 217 and stayed there. Temp was 58 degrees.
    There was one time where I pushed it a little and temp dropped to 199. More air or water flow I assume.

I checked fan connection and pushed on fuses after I got to work. One fuse had a little movement and may have clicked slightly. Coolant levels were fine.

Temp was 84 degrees on the drive home. For 95 % of the drive home, the car ran 203-204. I thought to myself...thanks B5 Blue for the great advice. About a mile from home, temp jumped to 217 and stayed there (normal driving).

Now I am puzzled. What can cause this sudden spike?

Are the 2 fuses for low and high speed? Number 3 fuse looks a little odd ( I don't believe it is blown) and I will replace just in case.

Thanks

2. nkdave

nkdave Sublime, black hood, M6

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sheeeze, consider yourself lucky. Mine goes to 224 before the fans kick on and drop it down to 205. They run hot and not too many people get excited about it. I took a 10 minute video of mine so I have a history of it. I'll show it to the Dodge service rep. the next time I'm in for service.

3. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thats pretty much what mine still does. After having my car for the better part of 3 weeks. Ripping the engine apart, installing new gaskets and bolts its still doing it. Heats up fast...to 220-222 fans kick in and drops to about 210. When i 1st got my car it was hard to get it over 210. Now it does that after 5 mins of driving 25 down my residential roads. Im just going to keep driving it i guess. It was serviced for this issue and if the damn thing blows up at least i brought it in for this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. INRIP

INRIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    At 222-224 the fan kicks on and cools it back to normal. It did this since day 1. I assume this is normal

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So they did all that and didn't fix the problem? Maybe there was no problem in the first place? I swear with all their training sometimes it seems like they don't have a clue.

6. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    why do people think the 220+ is a problem? It seems to warm up, fans kick on and she's cooler just as engineered? Am I missing something where 220 is a bad thing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Im concerned because it wasn't always this way with my car. It would never go above half on the temp gauge. Now it sores above it instantly

• Agree Agree x 1