SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Any clutch problems on street hellcats?

34K views 79 replies 43 participants last post by  JeffL 
#1 ·
i really would like a manual hellcat but have read on forums, and also magazine test drivers/writers, that have trashed the clutches in their hellcats. I plan on my Helcat (assuming I can get one) being my daily driver and therefore need it to be dependable.

Does the clutch on the Challenger Hellcats wear out too quickly under spirited street driving? Or it is just when being very aggressive with drag radials at the track?

#2 ·
I've only heard of a few 'cats with clutch problems, yet there are like three thousand of them with six-speeds on the road, so I'd not worry about it; if you aren't doing race track launches regularly, or you don't have drag radials, the tires are going to smolder well before the clutch gives way.

#4 ·
ive heard of a few on here and other places... i read of two that fried their clutches first time they hooked solid with DRs. have 11,000 miles on mine without an issue... im runnin street tires and havnt been to the track

Reactions: GALTCAT
#8 ·
i think its the slicks that do you in.....cant handle it......i havent heard of it from DR's

Dodge should have charged a bit more, gave better clutch and better drive shaft........there's a reason Ford gave their GT500 a carbon fiber drive shaft.........there's a reason Dodge didnt and they are breaking from heavy track usage........now clutches are the latest issue for the hard core track guys....problem is i hear there is no upgrade option available...thats why StellasHC traded in his M6 for a A8 last week. He wants a drag car

#14 ·
I noticed this youtube video with a M6 using launch control @ 3500 RPM. Im no expert but I don't think you will have any issue with around town driving.
Do this a few times? I wonder?

Thats a vid of my old M6.. Ran a 11.6 @ 126 in that vid. 1.97 60' time using launch control. Notice the spin/wheelhop/bog on launch...

I smoked my clutch a month ago using slicks and a 4k dump without launch control. As long as you spin, your clutch MIGHT be OK...

#16 ·
I have a in site on a company that will in the next week or so offer a 1200 hp clutch and trans upgrade for all 6 sp hellcats
rollracing, can you give the info of the company that is coming out with the upgraded clutch? Do you know if they are also working on an aluminum flywheel? My M6 just went out on Saturday from playing with the launch control a couple times on stock all season tires at 1,214 miles. I have talked the dealership into installing an upgraded clutch kit if I pay the difference from the stock kit.

#24 ·
I have a M6 I'm not racing it I don't baby it either. I have 2,900 miles. I have had no problems.

I do think that lots of track use you will have to upgrade things as many have done already.

I believe normal use you will be fine.

my clutch went out with what I would consider to be normal use for a car that is being called the fastest production car ever. I have never had my car on a track, but I do expect it to perform to fullest of its potential. I do not understand the theory that this car is is being called the muscle car of all muscle cars but you cannot really use it for what it is intended for because the support parts ie. clutch, driveshaft, etc. cannot hold up to the abuse. The first time I used my launch control the clutch smelled terrible, the second time I tried it the clutch went out. I have to think that the engineers at Dodge most likely new about the clutch issue long before the Hellcat was available, which might be the real reason the Charger is not available in manual. There are other people on here who have also had there clutch go out because of normal use, not just myself.

#25 ·
Are you guys breaking in your clutches before going nuts with the cars?? Really curious how you folks are breaking them in if at all.
I've used launch control many times and raced my car all summer on drag strips and airport runways..... 12,800kms so far
Best pass 11.50@123mph
I've only ever smelt it once and that was last night after the 11.5 pass.
Otherwise it held up beyond expectation this summer , no issues with mine

#27 ·
Are you guys breaking in your clutches before going nuts with the cars?? Really curious how you folks are breaking them in if at all.

I broke my Hellcat in exactly to what was stated in the owners manual. I was so cautious that I required the dealership not to touch the car after it was unloaded until I was there. I went on the test drive with the tech and I made him review the break in procedures before we left the parking lot and even though he tried to say that it was not really necessary I made follow it exactly. I never let anyone else drive it until I had completed the break in process and now I have 1,214 miles on it. I even did the first oil change at 500 miles and will do the second oil change at 1,500. So I would say that I have taken care of it to the fullest of my ability.

#34 ·
I ended up going with stock, because I could not find a company to gurantee fitment. Centerforce said that if I took to them in AZ for a week, they would give me one. I talked with Bad Boyzz right afer I told the dealership to put stock back in. I decided to wanted to wait and see how his clutches held up on other people's cars.

#37 ·
Knock on wood, 2500 miles and some spirited driving, no issues. Have NOT drag raced the car yet.

#40 · (Edited)
Not the Hellcat, but 15,500 on my SRT and it's starting to go. Having issues getting it in and out of gear, the pedal is quite soft and there is a slight clicking feeling when I let up off of it while at a stand still. There were a couple of times I smelled it burning so I knew it would be going sometime, just didn't think this soon. By the looks of it on here, I'm lucky I got this far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.